Not open for further replies.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Got my 4x system in today! Hooked it up real quick to test deflation. Seems to work well and equalized all 4 tires out. Will run a full deflation and inflation test tomorrow with my Smittybilt 2781.

8515BA0B-3F6C-49C7-B226-320EA6A5281A.jpeg

4FB1438A-8863-4AE4-942A-E1200A4A63AE.jpeg

0525F312-CC4F-4564-886E-F16E5CC2C98D.jpeg

9C387A5D-BD78-4E6F-B9BC-A0209D438A16.jpeg
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
So, I read/scanned the whole thread...don't see the answer to my question.

Can you air down to a specified PSI automatically?

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
So, I read/scanned the whole thread...don't see the answer to my question.

Can you air down to a specified PSI automatically?
I'm not speed-flate but I have the product. The answer to your question is no.....you cannot set a PSI and have it air down to that number. You can air down and periodically check the gauge by shutting the valve off and reading the dial. The dial will read the pressure of all tires connected at the same time.

Personally......I think the air down feature takes a bit long when four tires are connected (maybe someone else has faster results to post?). I prefer to use two tires on the speed flate while I use a different product on the other two to get them "close". When the speed plate is correct for the two tires to which it is connected......I then move it to the other two that were deflated while waiting on the speed-flate. The air down process takes me about 5 minutes and my pressures are quite uniform.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I'm not speed-flate but I have the product. The answer to your question is no.....you cannot set a PSI and have it air down to that number. You can air down and periodically check the gauge by shutting the valve off and reading the dial. The dial will read the pressure of all tires connected at the same time.

Personally......I think the air down feature takes a bit long when four tires are connected (maybe someone else has faster results to post?). I prefer to use two tires on the speed flate while I use a different product on the other two to get them "close". When the speed plate is correct for the two tires to which it is connected......I then move it to the other two that were deflated while waiting on the speed-flate. The air down process takes me about 5 minutes and my pressures are quite uniform.
That was all I needed to know. Thanks!

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Just checking in here to say I’m still loving my Speedflate! Used it at a jamboree in Utah last weekend and it saved a ton of time, especially airing up! And one of TJ’s ideas with Speedflate was to be able to keep it up out of the dirt. I paid special attention to this and it’s super easy to do. Which if you’re like me and like to clean everything before I put it away, it’s another factor in the time savings.

Hope you’re selling lots of them TJ, I love mine.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
Am I reading that wrong or does that say 100PSI working pressure on those hoses? I was going to say that looked like a good price but that's really cheaping out on components and dangerous for someone using CO2. Hell that's below the cutout for most switched compressors.

Speedflate

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Alright @LostWoods lets talk about physics for a bit. In the following video I demonstrate how I use a twin ARB compressor (rated at 150 PSI) with a 2.5 gallon air tank to air up 38" tires and the hoses NEVER go over 82 PSI. NOTHING about Speedflate is dangerous when used properly. So please try to refrain from calling my product cheap or dangerous when you don't fully understand how it works. It is safe for compressors and CO2 tanks like a PowerTank (which come with an adjustable regulator). To get the hoses up to 100 PSI that would mean you have inflated your tires to 100 PSI.

@mnjeeper No currently it is not automated. This is something I am looking into for the future though.

@av8or I'm glad your liking your Speedflate system! Thanks again for being one of the early adopters. I greatly appreciated you starting this thread and helping spread the word. We have well over 100 happy customers and growing. So thank you! Speedflate would not be moving forward without people like you.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt you would need 4 or 6 gauge wire.....more likely 8 or 10 would serve you quite well for 40 amps. I'd need to look it up....but I am quite certain 10 is adequate.
40 amp, 3% drop, 15 feet, 6 gauge. 10 gauge would be 20 amp.

Reactions: J0E

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
40 amp, 3% drop, 15 feet, 6 gauge. 10 gauge would be 20 amp.
OK.....so is this for copper wire?....or aluminum with copper cladding? Seems like it would be better to locate the compressor close to the battery....and run some air line to the back. Lots of expense and a PITA to run heavy wire to the back.....IMO. Still....It's hard fo me to think you'd need "jumper-cable" sized wires to run that little compressor?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Alright @LostWoods lets talk about physics for a bit. In the following video I demonstrate how I use a twin ARB compressor (rated at 150 PSI) with a 2.5 gallon air tank to air up 38" tires and the hoses NEVER go over 82 PSI. NOTHING about Speedflate is dangerous when used properly. So please try to refrain from calling my product cheap or dangerous when you don't fully understand how it works. It is safe for compressors and CO2 tanks like a PowerTank (which come with an adjustable regulator). To get the hoses up to 100 PSI that would mean you have inflated your tires to 100 PSI.
There is a reason PT sells hoses with their CO2 system that are rated 400 PSI working and 1,000 PSI burst pressure. CO2 systems are run at high pressure to cut inflation time.
OK.....so is this for copper wire?....or aluminum with copper cladding? Seems like it would be better to locate the compressor close to the battery....and run some air line to the back. Lots of expense and a PITA to run heavy wire to the back.....IMO. Still....It's hard fo me to think you'd need "jumper-cable" sized wires to run that little compressor?
Closer is better. 0-6 ft, 3% drop, 40 amp, 8 gauge. My jumper cables are 0 gauge. Do you have a tiny set of jumpers?

Sponsored

Speedflate

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
There is a reason PT sells hoses with their CO2 system that are rated 400 PSI working and 1,000 PSI burst pressure. CO2 systems are run at high pressure to cut inflation time.
Yes that's true. You should not run your Power Tank at 400 PSI through my system. My point was simply that it is compatible with a Power Tank since they do have a regulator and that it is not dangerous to use with a CO2 tank or compressor as @LostWoods was implying.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
I highly suggest you lawyer up if you're going to keep this attitude because someone is going to use it with CO2 at full power or try to fill up their E Load tires on a Super Duty and have a really bad time. Someone building this system on their own and accepting the risks for their own use is one thing; someone selling it and insisting that ignoring the safety factor printed on the damn hose is fine is another thing entirely.

How about an actual physics discussion:

Valve stems are the primary restriction of any fill system and pressure will build behind that bottleneck; otherwise you would instantly fill tires when using a CO2 system as soon as you open the tank valve.

Line pressure is a function of compressor output pressure and output flow, and line restrictions. At greater pressure differentials (i.e. compressor running with low pressure tires) then the flow is high and line pressure drops because a portable compressor can't keep up (compressors only achieve maximum pressure at very, very low flow rates and aren't 150 psi all the time). At lower pressure differentials (i.e. tires up at operating pressure), your flow will slow as greater pressure will be required to push air through the stems. Essentially, as tire pressure rises, line pressure will similarly rise up to the maximum pressure the compressor is capable of providing. If you need to see this in a chart, look at the one on this page from Viair.

If you're seeing 85psi with 4 hoses connected, I can guarantee you're exceeding 100psi with your 2-tire setup because you have the same flow/pressure from the compressor but with half the diameter at the primary restriction to push air through.

So yes, as it sits your product is dangerous, and that's a pretty shitty way to respond to legitimate criticisms of your design choices.

Last edited:

Speedflate

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
@LostWoods Alright you got me on that one. I try and always admit when I am wrong. Filling up load range E or F tires would exceed the 100 PSI maximum as well as pre filling my current air system and using the 2x system. I was not accounting for that and overlooked it. My main target audience is the Jeeper/Off roader which will be going from very low PSI to maybe 45 or 50 PSI max depending on the rig.

However, I never have told any one to ignore and exceed 100 PSI. But I do honestly thank you for bringing this to my attention.

OP
OP
av8or

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
@LostWoods are you sure? If used properly and For its intended purpose with regulators set up properly I don’t see how you would get some kind of over pressure problem. Can the system be overloaded? Of course, just like everything else. Using the right tool for the job and some common sense goes a long way. Would a 150 psi hose make you feel better using a CO2 tank with far more pressure than that in it? They all need some kind of regulator.
A81FB41C-4E44-4437-8A22-C6E75DA061E1.jpeg

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
@LostWoods Alright you got me on that one. I try and always admit when I am wrong. Filling up load range E or F tires would exceed the 100 PSI maximum as well as pre filling my current air system and using the 2x system. I was not accounting for that and overlooked it. My main target audience is the Jeeper/Off roader which will be going from very low PSI to maybe 45 or 50 PSI max depending on the rig.

However, I never have told any one to ignore and exceed 100 PSI. But I do honestly thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Honestly all you need is a fixed regulator at the input or better hoses. You already are doing the fittings the right way IMO and some 300psi hoses or a 100psi regulator will put a stop to idiot factor because rule #1 is that the end user is always an idiot and will always find a way to break what you did. 100PSI is way too low when its intended to be used with a 150PSI maximum compressor or CO2 and you're just opening up yourself to pain if someone gets hurt because there's definitely a case to be made there and even just the costs of a successful court defense can ruin you.

And sorry if I came off like an asshole... things like this are a peeve of mine as, like I said, someone making their own version and blowing off safety ratings is one thing but if you're going to sell this as a company, you need to be professional and do it properly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.