First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Fair point. I think everyone here pretty much respects opposing opinions in this thread so far. Unlike in the real world. :)

FWIW, Jeep does NOT have lane departure warning, just blind spot detection/warning. I’m with you on that one. I rented a Camry once with it and I didn’t drive it long enough to make friends with it but I didn’t care for it much. Turned it off with the press of a button. I can see how it could possibly be beneficial in some situations, but I still didn’t like it. I’m not sure if that makes me Luddite Adjacent.
I noticed that you very gently corrected my spelling - subtly done, thank you!
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I traded a 2020 Outback for my 2021 JL. TBH, I don't miss those safety nannies at all. At first I liked it, but all the beeps, buzzes, systems shutting on and off when it lost lane markings, etc was annoying after a while. Adaptive cruise is nice on a long drive, but the rest of those safety gee-gaws I can live without. I enjoy the relative peace and quiet on my drive now without all those beeps and warnings constantly.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I traded a 2020 Outback for my 2021 JL. TBH, I don't miss those safety nannies at all. At first I liked it, but all the beeps, buzzes, systems shutting on and off when it lost lane markings, etc was annoying after a while. Adaptive cruise is nice on a long drive, but the rest of those safety gee-gaws I can live without. I enjoy the relative peace and quiet on my drive now without all those beeps and warnings constantly.
You are one good crash away from embracing the technology.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-on-ordering-the-steel-bumper-option.44772/

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Maybe. Haven't been in a good crash in my entire life, been driving for 30 years. Sure my number could come up someday but am hopeful to continue my record for a while still :)

I'm sure in some cases the Nannies do work, but I found them to be more annoying than helpful. There are also rare cases reported where the vehicle just slams on the brakes because it thinks it saw something (tumbleweeds?), etc.

For now, I do not miss the Nanny on my JL and wouldn't have spent extra to get them either.

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
I opted for all safety features because of the move from a 2-door to a 4-door (been driving a 2 door for the last 20 years) and so I just figured why not... I thought I would like blind spot detection/warning, with just barely 300 hundred miles on my JLUR thus far, I’m not that impressed. It triggers when I’m changing lanes even when the other car is far enough behind me that it shouldn’t beep, and I still change lanes anyways. Ironically, my wife and I were just clicking through the settings today to see if we could make it less sensitive, however that’s not possible - it’s either on (beep/light OR light only) or off. I’d like it better if it wasn’t so sensitive or if that could be adjusted. Haven’t used adaptive cruise yet and TBD on other features, which hopefully are never needed.

Live & learn.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've heard some complain that the audible alert is annoying, but I'm trying to figure out why.
If you live in a place where there's a lot of big streets with multiple left turn lanes, it'll beep at you like crazy when you're pulling up in the 2nd-to-left lane. I turned it off. IIRC it still beeps at you if you get too close.

The other features are great too. The emergency braking has triggered on me twice before. Once on a u-turn and once when I washed the windshield, and hit the brakes to make a turn, and some water from the roof fell across the window.

Maybe. Haven't been in a good crash in my entire life, been driving for 30 years. Sure my number could come up someday but am hopeful to continue my record for a while still :)
I wish you the best! Unfortunately for me the one accident I have had, there wasn't anything I could do. They just pulled out to make a u-turn in front of me. It wasn't like a red light runner where you could see it coming, they just fucking cocked the wheel and gunned it. I don't think the Jeep's emergency braking would've helped much in that scenario either.

I still bought it though. Out here where I live, there's a ton of tourists on my drive to work. They like to randomly slam their brakes to make a left turn from the right lane, and other stupid things. I leave lots of following room, and i've always managed to catch the sudden stops, but I still like the extra insurance *just in case*.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I wonder if there are members out there who have the safety group(s), turned it off due to annoyance, and then got into the type of accident that the nanny would have prevented.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I wonder if there are members out there who have the safety group(s), turned it off due to annoyance, and then got into the type of accident that the nanny would have prevented.
Or conversely, left the nanny on and got into an accident due to the distraction of the nanny :)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
You think they’d admit it and post about it? I don’t think so.

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I turned 65 this summer and wanted some technology to help offset any diminishment in my reflexes (or even moments of inattention from time-to-time
You're being humble. I'm much younger, but opted for all the safety features buy. They'll pay for themselves even if they prevent just one scratch, let alone the really bad stuff. And my ego is big enough to survive receiving help from a computer :captain:.

The Adaptive Cruise Control has been a dream: On a recent 1000 miles road trip, it did most of the driving.

But I'm concerned about Forward collision warning/braking: It doesn't apply the breaks even if I get very close to others. It did alert me once, when another driver cut into my lane. And then there's this "test". I'm not sure if this is a fair test of the system, but it fits with my experience.

Sponsored

Ismor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I’m glad that you’ve got the modesty to recognize your human limitations and are able to swallow your pride enough to see the benefits of safety technology. It’s not for bad or inattentive drivers, it can benefit everyone.
Hear, hear!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
But I'm concerned about Forward collision warning/braking: It doesn't apply the breaks even if I get very close to others. It did alert me once, when another driver cut into my lane. And then there's this "test". I'm not sure if this is a fair test of the system, but it fits with my experience.
This is fair. I can’t be completely certain that it will work as I think it might/should. However, I have had it engage a couple of times and it did it’s job well enough to inspire some confidence. The first time it happened was a person slowly turning out from a side street onto the highway I was on (traveling same direction and lane that I’m in). I was going about 55-60 and just about to slow for stopping traffic ahead at a light 500 yards ahead. I’d guesstimate that the guy who pulled out was maybe 125 feet or so in front of me and pulled out front slowly, less than 10 or 15 mph. I saw him about to do it and was prepared to brake hard. It happens regularly at the intersection; it’s the turn off into my subdivision so I’m very familiar with it. FCW beeped and braked very quickly. Quicker than my reflexes could apply the brakes. As I was already beginning to brake myself it immediately returned control of the brakes to me in less than a second. I suppose it sensed that had brakes hard enough to avoid the collision on my own and returned control to me right away.

On another occasion it possibly saved me from my own screw up. Freeway driving about 75 and approaching an overpass. Not paying close enough attention as I was fiddling with the CarPlay controls in some manner. As I topped the hill traffic ahead was dead stopped on the interstate. The FCW beeped and immediate braked hard. I steered toward the shoulder and didn’t make contact with the truck stopped in the freeway. I came really close. The car behind almost hit me too, just a bad situation at a bad place in the road. I might have avoided colliding on my own, but I’m not 100% sure about that. Even if I’d struck the truck ahead, a 5-10 mph crash into a stationary vehicle is better than a 35-40 mph one.

My observation is that speed differential between the vehicles or objects is a big part of the algorithm. I don’t know how well it discriminates between various objects to determine when a crash is imminent. Don’t want to test it out any more though. In my examples both actual were vehicles and not test objects.

gbassett65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
I turned 65 this summer and wanted some technology to help offset any diminishment in my reflexes (or even moments of inattention from time-to-time :)), so I ordered both safety packages. I tried the suggestion of the Luddite members on here - "It's simple, just pay attention", but being human, I can't rely on that exclusively. I only have 600 miles so far, but I'm already glad that I opted for them. FWIW, I have all of the features set at the most sensitive levels and yet to find them intrusive.

• Lane change warning: So far this is my favorite one. The light-up icon in the mirror is fine, but I suggest activating the audible alert as well. I've heard some complain that the audible alert is annoying, but I'm trying to figure out why. The alert only sounds if there is someone in your blind spot AND you signal a lane change. In other words, the alert only sounds if you are about to do something dumb - how can that be annoying?
  • Adaptive cruise control: I've only used it a few times, but it works as designed. Someone cut me off without signaling a lane change and the ACC was all over it.
  • Cross-Path detection: Has worked several times, once backing out of a parking space and also backing out of my driveway. I wasn't actually in any danger (I had simply slipped the transmission into reverse), so I can't speak to the emergency braking aspect.
  • Forward collision warning/braking: This was the feature that I wanted most due to this incident (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-on-ordering-the-steel-bumper-option.44772/). The good news is I haven't seen the feature in action.
I have all of the same packages on my 2021 Wrangler and like them all. There are times I will not use the adaptive cruise. If I am on a smaller road then it is great, however on the freeway at least in south Florida it is dangerous. Average speeds here 75mph and unfortunately people here love to make abrupt lane changes. It is quite un-nerving to be at 75 and have the brakes slam on by themselves thinking your going to hit someone. I like the idea of it, just not on Florida highways.

KDoc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Wrangler's adaptive cruise control concurrently activate the vehicle's brake lights when slowing abruptly, during events such as the bolded text?

I'm thinking of the possible consequences if the driver behind you was following too closely.
Yes , the brake lights do come on if the system activated braking . We have checked this with my wife following me .

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I have all the safety systems and find them all very useful - no regrets!

If you saw my other post a few days ago about how all of a sudden - pretty much all of my safety systems in the jeep became disabled while out on a drive - it was suddenly an interesting feeling...

I remember thinking damn, I'm going to have to drive this thing all on my own :CWL:

Regarding the blind spot monitoring - I had those fail too earlier in that same drive actually - I was in some thick brush which was closing in on me - scraping down both sides of the Jeep and then a message displayed saying the blind spot sensors were obstructed - and then what happened is they both lit up on both sides - and stayed that way - even when I was out in the clearing - until I turned off the Jeep and restarted it - then they went out.

The issue I have with ACC (which I really like) has been mentioned before...

If for example the speed limit is 100kmh, and traffic is moving at 110kmh I will set the speed at 115kmh just to keep up with fluctuating speed...

But then if traffic slows down for a stretch - going 90kmh and then the car in front of me changes out of the lane the Jeep guns the accelerator to catch up to the next vehicle in line and it's just jarring and makes me look like a jackass :CWL:
Sponsored