Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
This is not the place to trust the emergency brake.
I was on a lesser trail around the same time as that incident. We were going downhill, on a trail that was not as steep as that one, and needed to stop for the call of nature. I found a wide enough spot, put on the emergency brake, and tested it. The Jeep still wanted to roll slightly, so we went further down until I found another turnout that had a little turn up on the edge of it that would stop the tires, then we stopped there. I still put on the ebrake just in case, but neither of us stayed in the vehicle.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Holy cow! It barely missed you.

Sponsored

Cartage1

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 JLUR

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Man. How scary to come that close to getting clobbered by a falling vehicle.

I had been trying to do Black Bear for years and every time i had a trip planned it was closed for one reason or another. My woman and I did a CO vacation this summer, and rented a jeep sahara to go do it. It was her first mountain offroad experience, but after some initial hesitation had a great time. Its worth doing @Tiger1

Its a great road to drive and experience, with great views, you just need to pay attention to where your wheels are pointed and have a little common sense.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Man. How scary to come that close to getting clobbered by a falling vehicle.

I had been trying to do Black Bear for years and every time i had a trip planned it was closed for one reason or another. My woman and I did a CO vacation this summer, and rented a jeep sahara to go do it. It was her first mountain offroad experience, but after some initial hesitation had a great time. Its worth doing @Tiger1

Its a great road to drive and experience, with great views, you just need to pay attention to where your wheels are pointed and have a little common sense.
Every year more knuckleheads want to do it and with COVID this year it was a parking lot on weekends.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
The most tragic part of this story is the injury of the two innocent victims... (the woman and dog who were left in the Jeep when the driver got out.)

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
This is not the place to trust the emergency brake.
I was on a lesser trail around the same time as that incident. We were going downhill, on a trail that was not as steep as that one, and needed to stop for the call of nature. I found a wide enough spot, put on the emergency brake, and tested it. The Jeep still wanted to roll slightly, so we went further down until I found another turnout that had a little turn up on the edge of it that would stop the tires, then we stopped there. I still put on the ebrake just in case, but neither of us stayed in the vehicle.
Are you saying this driver was driving down that steep slope and put the emergency brake on and got out ?

Sponsored

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Every year more knuckleheads want to do it and with COVID this year it was a parking lot on weekends.
Most of colorado is a parking lot on the weekends in the summer. Lol.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Most of colorado is a parking lot on the weekends in the summer. Lol.
Not really, you can still find a lot of places to get away and not see many people. The popular passes are those 'badge of honor', or whatever they call it trails. Everybody wants to do them once a year.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
The area has been overrun and is crazy crowded now. I think we'll still go for our yearly trip but if we wheel it will only be on the weekdays.

Last edited:

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The areas has been overrun and is crazy crowded now. I think we'll still go for our yearly trip but if we wheel it will only be on the weekdays.
My uncle was one of the developers of Keystone ski area, so our family was part of the problem...

I used to love Colorado, and it’s still extremely beautiful, but it’s painfully crowded these days. Like Oregon, it bears no resemblance to its 1960s or 70s self.

After an absence of almost thirty years I have visited my brother near Carbondale the last two summers. I didn’t recognize the area. I used to make that drive along the river approaching Glenwood and see maybe one or two folks fly fishing over a distance of miles. This summer we came in midday on a Thursday and counted twenty-six boats between drift fishermen and rafters in that short distance. It’s as crowded as a Disney ride now, and I’d have zero interest in fishing it. For city folks it probably feels like the country. For country folks, it feels like the city. As others have observed, this is the inevitable result of adding 100,000,000 people to the country and making the cities unlivable.

Thank God for Alaska. I won’t live long enough to see that converted to Disney. :like:
Sponsored