Sponsored

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
battery save preserves SOC
The eSave mode’s biggest plus is the “Battery Charge” feature that uses the engine to fully charge your Wrangler 4xe’s battery pack while you’re driving. Jeep says you can get a full charge in about two and a half hours of driving at 45-55 mph.

https://www.kbb.com/reviews/2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev/
This would mean that even with a depleted pack you can increase the SOC while driving off the ICE generator. Do you have any information that corroborates that this feature has been removed for production models?

Bren

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Granite Crystal Rubicon 4XE
If the Jeep is just sitting there, can you run heat and lights off of the lithium battery? Or is it draining the 12v?

In "Battery Charge" mode, does the engine charge the pack while you drive? This is a key feature if Jeep wants this thing to have usefulness on the trail and at the campsite.

Is there one-pedal drive? (Regen to a complete stop?) I'm assuming no, or you probably would have noticed and mentioned it since it feels very different than a gas car to those not used to EVs. This is one of my favorite EV features, was hoping for it here.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
If the Jeep is just sitting there, can you run heat and lights off of the lithium battery? Or is it draining the 12v?

In "Battery Charge" mode, does the engine charge the pack while you drive? This is a key feature if Jeep wants this thing to have usefulness on the trail and at the campsite.

Is there one-pedal drive? (Regen to a complete stop?) I'm assuming no, or you probably would have noticed and mentioned it since it feels very different than a gas car to those not used to EVs. This is one of my favorite EV features, was hoping for it here.
The 12v is powered off the 400v battery via a dc/dc buck converter 400v->12v. So when the vehicle is in Run mode the contactors close and the 400v battery will charge up the 12v battery via the buck converter. If in ACC mode it will run solely off the 12v and possible to deplete it.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

There indeed is a one pedal regeneration drive but it needs to be enabled in the settings.

And yes you can absolutely charge the battery with the engine while driving.

Stuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Nacho JLU Sport S
First of all, thanks for the pictures and info Harleexl!

But not a fan of that fold down rear seat. Looks kinda bad, not unusable, but... ehhhhhhh... :\

I still kinda want it, but I'll probably wait on this for now. Maybe if they make a PHEV Gladiator as rumored...

OP
OP
Harleexl

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
First off, thanks for sharing.

I drive with the seat low and quite far back, how far forward are the front seats to fully fold the rears?

thanks
I slid the driver seat to most rearward position and it was still not near touching the seat cushion in its forward folded position. There is still room to recline the driver seat a decent amount as well.

OP
OP
Harleexl

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
There indeed is a one pedal regeneration drive but it needs to be enabled in the settings.

And yes you can absolutely charge the battery with the engine while driving.
There's a hard button for Regen and it does require brakes for a complete stop but it gets very close. I did not use the regen button for my drive that i noted.

Wandering_Cascadian

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe; 1976 GMC High Sierra 1500
Are you allowed to show pictures of the dash and instrument panel? I'm curious to see how the integrated charge status bar looks on top, and what that hard regen button looks like.

Thanks for posting, finally getting excited about the 4xe after weeks of no news!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Harleexl

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
First of all, thanks for the pictures and info Harleexl!

But not a fan of that fold down rear seat. Looks kinda bad, not unusable, but... ehhhhhhh... :\

I still kinda want it, but I'll probably wait on this for now. Maybe if they make a PHEV Gladiator as rumored...
I do like the flat load floor of the non PHEV for some reasons, but I'm picturing a drawer system installed back there to give me back a full level load floor if I really want that with the 4xe.
As far as the rear seat for the height or feel when seated, it seems just as useful as any other rear seat. I didn't notice anything different, but I haven't sat back there much.

OP
OP
Harleexl

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Are you allowed to show pictures of the dash and instrument panel? I'm curious to see how the integrated charge status bar looks on top, and what that hard regen button looks like.

Thanks for posting, finally getting excited about the 4xe after weeks of no news!
You know the existing stop/start button? There it is with a new icon. I didn't know what it was at first but it's definitely noticeable off throttle when it's turned on. I don't have any more pictures to share.
I'm pretty excited about this myself! Still waiting for the pricing and website build tool to come out.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
so does it feel like 375Hp when fully charged and you floor it??

What is the actual fuel economy, ie total range on one fill up with normal driving?? ALso how did you plug the thing in?
Sponsored