First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I turned 65 this summer and wanted some technology to help offset any diminishment in my reflexes (or even moments of inattention from time-to-time :)), so I ordered both safety packages. I tried the suggestion of the Luddite members on here - "It's simple, just pay attention", but being human, I can't rely on that exclusively. I only have 600 miles so far, but I'm already glad that I opted for them. FWIW, I have all of the features set at the most sensitive levels and yet to find them intrusive.

• Lane change warning: So far this is my favorite one. The light-up icon in the mirror is fine, but I suggest activating the audible alert as well. I've heard some complain that the audible alert is annoying, but I'm trying to figure out why. The alert only sounds if there is someone in your blind spot AND you signal a lane change into their path. In other words, the alert only sounds if you are about to do something dumb - how can that be annoying?
  • Adaptive cruise control: I've only used it a few times, but it works as designed. Someone cut me off without signaling a lane change and the ACC was all over it.
  • Cross-Path detection: Has worked several times, once backing out of a parking space and also backing out of my driveway. I wasn't actually in any danger (I had simply slipped the transmission into reverse), so I can't speak to the emergency braking aspect.
  • Forward collision warning/braking: This was the feature that I wanted most due to this incident (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-on-ordering-the-steel-bumper-option.44772/). The good news is I haven't seen the feature in action.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
My wife has all that stuff in her Malibu. I have to say the adaptive cruise is nice on road trips.

I opted for none of the safety packages in my Jeep and still don't want them. But maybe when I am 65 I will feel differently.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’m glad that you’ve got the modesty to recognize your human limitations and are able to swallow your pride enough to see the benefits of safety technology. It’s not for bad or inattentive drivers, it can benefit everyone.

I just returned home from a crash scene at work. I can’t post photos. But there’s a ‘99 F150 that has travelled its last mile. Our tractor/trailer is largely intact. What happened? Freeway slowdown due to huge oversized load caused our driver to slow in time but for whatever reason the driver behind him didn’t. Human error. The safety technologies in your Jeep would have prevented this crash even if you weren’t attentive.

The only complaint I have about any of them is that the lane change warning detects an area slightly too big for my preference when completing a pass. I leave plenty of room and it still tends to beep when I return to the right. I’ve started to leave a little more, can’t hurt being more safe.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The only complaint I have about any of them is that the lane change warning detects an area slightly too big for my preference when completing a pass. I leave plenty of room and it still tends to beep when I return to the right. I’ve started to leave a little more, can’t hurt being more safe.
Would the sensitivity setting help with that? I've only been on the "far" (most sensitive) setting so I don't know the seat-of-the-pants differences between the three.

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I ordered both packages because I wanted the auto high beams and that forced me to get the other two. Ive really started to like the adaptive cruise, however I wish I could change the tolerance of it. I keep it set to the furthest distance but I find it trying maintain that more aggressively than I'd like. If the car infront of me pulls away very quickly then the jeep accelerates very quickly. I'd like to be able to set it so that if I'm at 4 car lengths, its gradually accelerating even if that gap increases to 8 car lengths rather than trying to maintain that 4 car length exactly. I also wish It didn't care about going downhill trying to maintain that speed too closely, or at least an option for me to turn off. Other than that I love the ACC and use it daily.

The FCW I do not really like but I've left it on just trying to understand it and maybe tweak settings before I decide I hate it. Its activated once on me that I know would not have been a collision, but I understand why the computer made the decision it did. Car was making a right turn in front of me and they were slowing down more than I was.

Blind spot monitoring I dont find necessary for me. With the way I set my mirrors(door mirrors being far out to the sides) there is no blind spot. Cars transition from my rear view mirror to the side view and once they leave my side view they are basically next to me in my peripheral. That said, as a motorcycle rider who has been hit, I do like seeing that detect me when I get caught in a cars blind spot for a brief moment before I get out of it.

I dont regret the decision at all, I'd opt for them again, just wish I had more in depth control on the settings. I know that would be too much for the average person to tweak though.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Would the sensitivity setting help with that? I've only been on the "far" (most sensitive) setting so I don't know the seat-of-the-pants differences between the three.
I’m not aware of any settings for that feature. The advanced cruise control allows you to set your sensing/following distance from a vehicle ahead but I don’t know that you can adjust sensitivity of the lane change sensor.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
  • Adaptive cruise control: I've only used it a few times, but it works as designed. Someone cut me off without signaling a lane change and the ACC was all over it.
Does the Wrangler's adaptive cruise control concurrently activate the vehicle's brake lights when slowing abruptly, during events such as the bolded text?

I'm thinking of the possible consequences if the driver behind you was following too closely.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I’m glad that you’ve got the modesty to recognize your human limitations and are able to swallow your pride enough to see the benefits of safety technology. It’s not for bad or inattentive drivers, it can benefit everyone.
My sentiments exactly, only @Chocolate Thunder beat me to it.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Does the Wrangler's adaptive cruise control concurrently activate the vehicle's brake lights when slowing abruptly, during events such as the bolded text?

I'm thinking of the possible consequences if the driver behind you was following too closely.
Yes it does. Every driver has the responsibility of maintaining a safe following distance from the vehicle ahead of them, full stop. This scenario you mentioned is absolutely no different than if a driver is cut off and you have to brake abruptly on your own.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I got the blind spot monitor and rear cross-path detection, but purposely didn’t get the adaptive cruise control and forward collision warning.

I think the BSM and rear sensors are worth the money. However, the adaptive cruise and forward collision I find intrusive and annoying. Worse, their forward sensors add a level of complexity I don’t want on a vehicle I take to the trail, least of all given FCA’s indifferent quality.

Sponsored

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
I have the SAFETY GROUP, and did not get the ADVANCED SAFETY GROUP. If you're playing at home...

SAFETY GROUP:
  • Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection
  • Injection Molded Black Rear Bumper
  • LED Tail Lamps
  • ParkSense® Rear Park-Assist System
ADVANCED SAFETY GROUP:
  • Advanced Brake-Assist
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control
  • Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop
  • Enhanced Adaptive Cruise Control

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I have the SAFETY GROUP, and did not get the ADVANCED SAFETY GROUP. If you're playing at home...

SAFETY GROUP:
  • Blind-Spot and Cross-Path Detection
  • Injection Molded Black Rear Bumper
  • LED Tail Lamps
  • ParkSense® Rear Park-Assist System
ADVANCED SAFETY GROUP:
  • Advanced Brake-Assist
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp-Control
  • Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus
  • Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop
  • Enhanced Adaptive Cruise Control
I have the Advanced Safety Group, and love all the features. I too have the Full-Speed Forward-Collision Warning Plus set to the most sensitive, and it works great! Love how Adaptive Cruise Control works in stop and go traffic!

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I have all those safety options and they all work great for me. I want them in all my cars from now on. The forward collision I set to beep only. Freaks me out that it may brake hard on me when it might not be necessary. People have reported that it brakes under bridges and especially driving through parking structures.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I picked up my JLUR about 1K miles ago. I have not had any vehicle with this stuff in the past.

I bought my jeep for it being a manual, rubicon, led, and other stuff I wanted. I probably would have not ordered safety groups.

Back up is overly sensitive IMO. On my 4% grade driveway it always is screaming at me as I back out. I usually roll out in neutral, cause my manual is that cool. OK IMO

Regarding the blind spot, I don't mind it, I have it set to visual only, I look at least a bazillion times before I yield. My head turns well. Don't really need it. Does not bother me, I think the options with it allow settings where it's not menacing. Good IMO

Have not tried the ACC yet. The FW is touchy and it does calculate rpm into it's algorithm in determining when to warn you. If I rev and barely let the clutch out in the driveway slope it will signal me. But, it did work really well when someone cut me off way too close and I woulda taken ass on that one like you did. It gave me a few more feet of play before I had to slam brakes. It's hard to say if I would have caught it in time, but it brought it to my attention stat. So good IMO.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Found photos that I can use from today’s crash. Had this vehicle been using the features in the advanced safety package offered on our Jeeps, it very likely would NOT have happened at all, or the truck would have minor damage and not be totaled.

A1399DE7-A769-4722-8506-89976090ABF0.jpeg

B2A62A76-6236-4112-9B08-91B77583B24F.jpeg
Sponsored