Sponsored

Rear differential bearings are defective, less than 500 miles

Jpspaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
I’ve had great service at Fitzpatrick’s in Ansonia. If you’re under warranty, that’s where I’d bring it.
That's a bit of a drive for me but I appreciate the info. I absolutely hate dealership service departments. I could tell you a few nightmare stories I've had...
Sponsored

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I brought my custom ordered JLR home on April 26. This past Saturday, eight days later, we drove to the coast. On the way home, we heard an unusual noise coming from the rear of the Jeep. After stopping to check for debris under the Jeep, we headed on. The throttle response decreased and the noise didn't stop. Thankfully we weren't too far from home.

Here's a video of the noise:

I called FCA and opened a case.

I took it to the dealer this morning and they discovered that the rear differential bearings are defective.

I have also noticed that the steering wanders and is loose, so added that to the case and the service department will check that after the rear differential is fixed.

The (very helpful service advisor) took me into the shop and I took a few photos:

IMG_6086-X3.jpg

IMG_6088-X3.jpg

IMG_6089-X3.jpg

The service department has been great so far and have been very helpful regarding a rental and communication.

This is incredibly disappointing! I have been looking forward to my Wrangler for some time and now have an SUV to drive around during this perfect spring weather. Here's hoping it's fixed soon(ish).
[/Q
Wow, your work was more extensive than mine.

Thankfully I haven’t had any issues with my rear diff since this work. The steering on the other hand...
Just had my 2018 Sport with 19,000 on miles set at the shop for a week getting the rear differential bearings replaced. Went to pick it up and they informed me that when they went to pull it in the batteries were all dead both the main and the auto start battery. Manager stated they would not even take a jump pack so they pushed it in. I questioned this more as no previous issues with this and they could not give me an answer other then we fixed both and it was under warranty. Drove it for one day and now the check engine light has come one and a slight grinding noise has started when driving. Taking it back again tomorrow to have this looked at now as well. Just purchased this jeep and was so looking forward to owning a wrangler but having regrets.

OP
OP
RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Just had my 2018 Sport with 19,000 on miles set at the shop for a week getting the rear differential bearings replaced. Went to pick it up and they informed me that when they went to pull it in the batteries were all dead both the main and the auto start battery. Manager stated they would not even take a jump pack so they pushed it in. I questioned this more as no previous issues with this and they could not give me an answer other then we fixed both and it was under warranty. Drove it for one day and now the check engine light has come one and a slight grinding noise has started when driving. Taking it back again tomorrow to have this looked at now as well. Just purchased this jeep and was so looking forward to owning a wrangler but having regrets.
Welcome to the forum!

I wonder if they left something on in the lot to run both batteries down?

I didn't have any other issues with my bearings once they were replaced, thankfully. I hope they can sort out the grinding noise and you can settle in with your Jeep. They are so fun, but it's frustrating to start off with problems.

Have you had the steering box replaced? It's a separate issue but would be good to have them do.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the forum!

I wonder if they left something on in the lot to run both batteries down?

I didn't have any other issues with my bearings once they were replaced, thankfully. I hope they can sort out the grinding noise and you can settle in with your Jeep. They are so fun, but it's frustrating to start off with problems.

Have you had the steering box replaced? It's a separate issue but would be good to have them do.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/
Yes, I inquired about this as well when i dropped the Jeep off and they informed me that they showed in the records it had been completed already.

OP
OP
RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Yes, I inquired about this as well when i dropped the Jeep off and they informed me that they showed in the records it had been completed already.
That's good. You can confirm that by seeing if the steering gear is black (replaced) or silver (original aluminum).

Good luck in getting your Jeep on the road.

Sponsored

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's good. You can confirm that by seeing if the steering gear is black (replaced) or silver (original aluminum).

Good luck in getting your Jeep on the road.
Thanks, we shall see so far only owning it 2 months it seems to be problem after problem.

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back again, Jeep is back in another shop with another issue with the rear differential.

Looking for some insight, I have a 2018 JL Jeep wrangler sport 2 door. 23,000 miles well taken care of and maintained (no oftermarket mods). In 10/20 I had to replace the rear differential at 20,000 miles. After that i constantly heard a low grinding noise when driving, took it back to the dealer 2 times for this. First time had oil change and they checked and said nothing sounds wrong, second time took it back again a few weeks later and told them still hearing noise. This time a sales rep rode around the lot in the jeep and said he does not hear anything unusual. So took it as Im just crazy and there is nothing wrong its just supposed to sound like that. Took it to have another oil change, this time decided to try another dealer, the dealer called and said we heard the low grind as soon as we pushed the gas peddle. And we have removed the (cap?-not very savey on vehicle's) of the rear diff and it is bad. He started asking and I informed him of the above info, He stated so it was replaced 4 months ago and has made this noise since then. I informed him it has, and i was basically told its normal. The service manager said no, your rear diff was either done incorrectly, and or the new rear diff parts have gone bad already. So where I am concerned is there anything else that could be causing a rear differential to go bad in less then 4000 miles? Other then a faulty diff part or being fixed wrong? Could anything else in the jeep frame or structure cause this, that i should ask them to look at as well. I am concerned that the original warranty is going to expire and it will happen again. Any info or help is greatly appreciated as i have had nothing but issues with this jeep since i purchased it.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
What's up with all the these differential issues I see posted on the forum; I'm starting to think that DANA isn't the quality company it used to be.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
What's up with all the these differential issues I see posted on the forum; I'm starting to think that DANA isn't the quality company it used to be.
Over at the "Knock in Rear D44" thread, I think one of the forum memebers talked to a Jeep engineer and they sort of revealed that there was a serious design fault with the new D44 diffs that caused manufacturing tolerance issues... Hopefully corrected in the new batches.

Last edited:

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealership called back today, They were able to replace the entire rear axle, due to the prior issues and this being the 3rd time I have had this jeep in the shop for the rear differential replacement. He said it was approved to just drop out the old axle and replace it with a brand new one. As well he said it is all covered under warranty. Should be completed this afternoon and ready for pick up. So hopefully some good years to come out of all this trouble I have had since purchasing the jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RagTopDeluxe

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Dealership called back today, They were able to replace the entire rear axle, due to the prior issues and this being the 3rd time I have had this jeep in the shop for the rear differential replacement. He said it was approved to just drop out the old axle and replace it with a brand new one. As well he said it is all covered under warranty. Should be completed this afternoon and ready for pick up. So hopefully some good years to come out of all this trouble I have had since purchasing the jeep.
I'm so glad you found a dealership who did a good job. I'm glad that you got a whole new rear axle and hope that is the last you have to deal with it.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I had this same issue. Dropped my 2018 Sport for 37 inch tires, new wheels, and the Mopar lift. After all was said and done the service advisor said his tech drove the Jeep around the building and the rear was screaming. Ordered an entire new axel at 52k miles covered under the power train warranty. We will see how it goes - the new axel is due to arrive next Friday. Originally the wheels I ordered took almost a month!

Dunno if @JeepCares has more info on this being a larger issue as it looks like has happened to you for quite some time.

Last edited:

mooreyoder

First Name
Trever
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had this same issue. Dropped my 2018 Sport for 37 inch tires, new wheels, and the Mopar lift. After all was said and done the service advisor said his tech drove the Jeep around the building and the rear was screaming. Ordered an entire new axel at 52k miles covered under the power train warranty. We will see how it goes - the new axel is due to arrive next Friday. Originally the wheels I ordered took almost a month!

Dunno if @JeepCares has more info on this being a larger issue as it looks like has happened to you for quite some time.
Great to hear they are not trying to fix it, just replacing. Hope it arrives timely and fixes your issues!

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Great to hear they are not trying to fix it, just replacing. Hope it arrives timely and fixes your issues!
Fixed! It arrived 2 weeks after it was ordered. So far so good - the 2.0T really handles the 37 inch tires and lift really well. No noise at all. Back in 2019 when I first got it the rear axel clicked like many members were reporting back then.

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara Unlimited
Yikes! The rear diff whine in the video at the beginning of this thread is EXACTLY what I'm hearing in my 2018 JLU. I'm at 65k miles. This puts me out of warranty doesn't it?
Sponsored