List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I stopped into the dealership where I purchased my Jeep. I asked about the oil they would use with an oil change. They said they would use whatever oil is speced for the engine. I pressed further and asked what brand they would use. The responce was Shell Rotella.

I will contact them and let them know my concerns about this oil not meeting spec.

I do know the Rotella is good stuff. I would love to see a document that advises dealerships not to use it.
Easy. The manual says API category SN is REQUIRED and Shell Rotella doesn't meet API SN.

ScreenHunter_108 Oct. 08 09.01.jpg
Sponsored

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
An update. The dealer I reached out to about their recommendation to use the Rotella never responded. And this is the dealer i purchased the Jeep from. I also have to say this dealership did an awesome job of replaceing my steering box. Good thing for me as there are many dealers in my area. I have contacted a few.

Frist one stated they would use the Rottella. Wrong oil
Second dealer stated they would fill with 5w-30. again wrong oil
On the third try the dealer stated they would use Pennzoil synthetic 5w-40. I think we have a winner.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
An update. The dealer I reached out to about their recommendation to use the Rotella never responded. And this is the dealer i purchased the Jeep from. I also have to say this dealership did an awesome job of replaceing my steering box. Good thing for me as there are many dealers in my area. I have contacted a few.

Frist one stated they would use the Rottella. Wrong oil
Second dealer stated they would fill with 5w-30. again wrong oil
On the third try the dealer stated they would use Pennzoil synthetic 5w-40. I think we have a winner.
5W-30!!!!!!! Wow thats the wrong weight!!! That will probably cause lubrication issues..

The more i read about this, the more i want to do my own oil changes and skip going to the dealerships for that all together!

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
So whats the verdict about the Valvoline 5W-40?? It lists that it has the MS-12991 certification but not the API SN certification.

I know many on here decided to use that oil, so is the API SN not as big of a deal as the MS-12991 certification??

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 12.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 34.JPG

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
So whats the verdict about the Valvoline 5W-40?? It lists that it has the MS-12991 certification but not the API SN certification.

I know many on here decided to use that oil, so is the API SN not as big of a deal as the MS-12991 certification??

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler 34.JPG

Uhh....it clearly says API Service SN right there on the bottle.

Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Where did you find the good deal, Sam?
On amazon! But there is a catch! It takes them almost 4 weeks apparently to deliver it... (I ordered on the 2nd, it says it will be delivered by the 26th!) so order ahead of time

Jeep Wrangler JL List of Chrysler MS-12991 Engine Oil for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Jeep Wrangler Capture.JPG

I ordered 2 of these, so 6 jugs for $137 after tax and all! Thats $22 a jug! I think thats a good deal :bandit:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Just as an FYI... The Valvoline MST 5W40 has the MS-12991 stamp on the bottle, BUT, Valvoline is apparently changing the branding on this oil and some of the new bottles are coming with "European Vehicle" labels on them instead. These new labels do not show MS-12991 on them. Valvoline told me they are working on updating their spec sheets and will add this later, but for now you may or may not get a bottle stamped with the FCA MS-12991 spec on it if you order the Valvoline. Valvoline does stand behind the product for use in this Gen 3 engine, however.

What I did is I took one of the bottles with the spec stamped on it and kept it in my garage storage. That way if I ever do have a warranty issue I can show evidence of what I used and that it did meet spec.

Sponsored

ks1626

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S Ecodiesel
How do I politely ask the dealer to use the correct oil...?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
How do I politely ask the dealer to use the correct oil...?
Show them the owners manual which states FCA MS-12991 and API category SN must be used, and if they don't have an oil that meets that spec, will they allow you to bring your own oil for them to use? Just pose that question.

If they give a hateful response, it's time to drive to another dealership. F 'em.

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
My dealer performed the 6000 mile maintenance and used the following oils:

Qty 2 68171006PB 5W-40 (Shell Rotella T6 one gallon bottle)
Qty 1 68001332PC 5W-40

Seems like they may be using the incorrect oil.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
The T6, although a fine lubricant, doesn’t meet The new Ecodiesel spec.
Sponsored