Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
people who've installed this.. are you running power from the house battery under the hood back to a fuse & switch box in the boot or running all the power out from under the hood ? can a mppt solar controller be fit to keep the batteries topped up ?
I have an SPOD connected to the aux batt and mounted under the hood. Yes you can connect a solar controller to help keep your batts topped off. I have the hood mounted 80W solar panel and controller from Cascadia, the controller is mounted on top of my air box lid.

20200614_140416.jpg
Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
interesting.

so that spod probably makes the cost of a genesis dual battery about equal to a battle born house battery with a redarc dc to dc charger, fuse box and switch panel.

so what makes the genesis system better than using the genesis battery tray and a dc to dc charger to keep the second battery charged rather than the genesis solenoid ?

i'm a little baffled by the options available everywhere for power options and not knowing what i really need or what eventually will work best for me i'm trying to weed through ideas without destroying my amex.

Last edited:

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just bought a Genesis system for my JLU Rubi. I have been cautioned about installing it due to the nature of the factory wiring and sensitive electronics. Has anyone had any negative experiences with the Genesis effecting the factory electronics?

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
No issues. At the end of the day it is still just two 12 volt batteries, they are just a different shape than the stock batteries.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I just bought a Genesis system for my JLU Rubi. I have been cautioned about installing it due to the nature of the factory wiring and sensitive electronics. Has anyone had any negative experiences with the Genesis effecting the factory electronics?
Nope, no problems at all. If you use ESS there is a six cycle limit (there are other threads that explore this in depth) but I have ESS disabled forever with a device

ESS...
Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit images (5)

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
interesting.

so that spod probably makes the cost of a genesis dual battery about equal to a battle born house battery with a redarc dc to dc charger, fuse box and switch panel.

so what makes the genesis system better than using the genesis battery tray and a dc to dc charger to keep the second battery charged rather than the genesis solenoid ?

i'm a little baffled by the options available everywhere for power options and not knowing what i really need or what eventually will work best for me i'm trying to weed through ideas without destroying my amex.
I don't think there's any benefits to either setup other than what people need and how they prefer to set it up. I like the ability to jump start myself with the push of a button if you accidentally kill your starting batt, and I like the ease of installing the complete package without having to run a bunch of extra cabling.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been installed several days and i have conversed with Shane from @Genesis Offroad and heā€˜s been super about responding and sent me some trouble shooting tips even though Iā€™m having zero issue, just a down and dirty way to test your smart isolator with a simple volt meter.

I am contemplating adding the G screen as itā€™s apparently plug and play just have to figure out an easy place to install the G screen, it tells you when the isolator is open or closed and gives you the voltages of both batteries and also gives you the boost ability from inside these are not necessarily needed but pretty cool none the less

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well two weeks post install and I already had to jump start myself thanks to leaving lights on. I hadn't actually tested the setup yet but it worked as intended. Saved my posterior big time. This is a big peace of mind mod for me.
After the sixth cycle is met, what happens? ESS stops working? Batteries expode...lol?
After (6) cycles it disables the ESS system and gives a fault that apparently clears on the next ignition cycle

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
After the sixth cycle is met, what happens? ESS stops working? Batteries expode...lol?
Apparently it stops working and throws a code, until you power cycle the jeep and then it'll start working again. Ive never tried it myself but theres a pretty long thread about it here somewhere.

Sponsored

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
Apparently it stops working and throws a code, until you power cycle the jeep and then it'll start working again. Ive never tried it myself but theres a pretty long thread about it here somewhere.
Thanks, I am near ready to purchase Genesis, soon I'll search for that thread. So much battery info to learn.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I am near ready to purchase Genesis, soon I'll search for that thread. So much battery info to learn.
just run a search for ESS and you can read and learn for a long time....there are several hacks that can be done to bypass the ESS battery and still keep it where itā€™s at and then on the other side of the coin is a system like the Genesis that completely removes the ESS baby battery along with the factory tray and ESS holder box and uses two full size batteries along with a smart battery isolator and boost switch and then you have some manual kits like this in the middle https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugged-ridge-dual-battery-kit-1726501.html but I donā€™t know how the ones in the middle work.

I cheated and went with the Genesis system and even had a local shop here in Houston put it in, several here have installed the Genesis system and have had zero trouble but I was just not comfortable doing the removal of the fuse box and associated electrical cables but the install after the removal looks pretty simple but then things like this always do when your not doing it and watching someone like Shane from @Genesis Offroad do the install.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
people who've installed this.. are you running power from the house battery under the hood back to a fuse & switch box in the boot or running all the power out from under the hood ? can a mppt solar controller be fit to keep the batteries topped up ?
I run my main from the Genesis accessory bus to this circuit breaker:

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit CA70256A-0237-44A4-B05B-E9178C4B2304

Then split it at this power post:

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 48E97F6D-8DCA-4D9C-91DF-303FA666E13F

Sending power forward to this Voswitch module under the hood:

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 505D11CC-847E-4294-BE74-98B4EFDBB2B4

And rearward to this fuse block inside my rear taillight housing:

Jeep Wrangler JL Genesis Off-Road Dual Battery Kit 2DB685B5-9E88-40BF-9ED9-92FC0134F218

The options are only limited by your imagination (and needs). :like:

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I just bought one for my 2020 JLUR, going to go for it Saturday.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Mine has been installed several days and i have conversed with Shane from @Genesis Offroad and heā€˜s been super about responding and sent me some trouble shooting tips even though Iā€™m having zero issue, just a down and dirty way to test your smart isolator with a simple volt meter.

I am contemplating adding the G screen as itā€™s apparently plug and play just have to figure out an easy place to install the G screen, it tells you when the isolator is open or closed and gives you the volTateā€™s of both batteries and also gives you the boost ability from inside these are not necessarily needed but pretty cool none the less
I've been running mine for almost 2 years with zero issues, works exactly as it is supposed to.
Sponsored