Sponsored

What head units have you guys upgraded to?

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
The $1599 (or $1499 if you sign up here - https://stingeroffroad.com/pages/jeep-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt-radio-upgrade) you spend is all-inclusive, everything you need for a plug-and-play install. No additional wires or connections need to be made, just basic hand tools.

Once installed, you can run your factory (or Alpine, just swap 1 harness location on the modules) speakers until you're ready to install an aftermarket amp and that'll plug into the RCAs on the back of the unit. No line out converter needed - ever.

If you opted for the 7", I've seen them being sold around here for ~$450.
The 8.4" is much more popular and I've seen anywhere from $900 - $1400, depending on demand.
Both of which require a 4-digit unlock code needed from your dealer, and usually include the bezel.

I've got the 7" myself and plan to use it in recouping some of the costs!
Okay, I didn’t realize it was $1499. I will need to save a while. Thank you for the information.
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I have a base 5" radio. Will all of that information show up if installed in mine or do you need to have an optional radio already for all of that info to show?

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
My understanding is all of that information is innate to all JLs thru the CANbus, it's just a matter of what head unit you have if it's able to display the information.

I have the 7" and none of that information displayed but, should be available with the HEIGH10 unit.

There's a couple very in depth, post heavy, threads about upgrading from the 5" to 7"/8.4" and everything associated. Might be worth scanning, you'll be able to pick up on any differences (if any applicable to this unit) and what others have learned. Off the top of my head, most people usually replace the HVAC controls below the radio with the dual climate or add antennas for Sirius or LTE which the latter isn't applicable, and the former isn't required

EDIT

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/upgrading-from-the-5-uconnect3-to-7-uconnect4.6419/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...from-5”-unconnect-3-to-8-4”-uconnect-4.30307/

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
I have a base 5" radio. Will all of that information show up if installed in mine or do you need to have an optional radio already for all of that info to show?
All features are available for JL models regardless of what factory radio you have. SO yes, upgrading from the 5" will double the size of your screen and give you all of the new features in the integrated kit.
Here is an install video:

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
All features are available for JL models regardless of what factory radio you have. SO yes, upgrading from the 5" will double the size of your screen and give you all of the new features in the integrated kit.
Here is an install video:
cool!!! Now all We need is a little extra discount for forum members ;)

I would be Happy to be one of the first to demo it for you guys on my 2021 Rubicon I have ordered, which will be here next week........

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'm not interested in changing my A/C controls, dual climate control is not a "plug and play" upgrade. @Mike - Stinger Off-Road, will I still be able to control my A/C with the low end climate control panel and just ignore the climate controls on the head unit? No reported problems or interference? Love the idea of being able to remap steering wheel buttons!

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Electronics

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
I'm not interested in changing my A/C controls, dual climate control is not a "plug and play" upgrade. @Mike - Stinger Off-Road, will I still be able to control my A/C with the low end climate control panel and just ignore the climate controls on the head unit? No reported problems or interference? Love the idea of being able to remap steering wheel buttons!
Hey Jim,
Dual climate control will only work on the Heigh10 if your vehicle already has dual climate control. All of your factory controls will remain functional as original. There won't be any interference! Generally, the factory controls need to be digital in order to integrate. So if you have knobs for your AC, those features won't appear on the Heigh10 interface.

GregMG79

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd
Occupation
Construction Manager
I have been talking with Stinger since spring and the final product looks great. Just saving up for it now. Any chance someone can post a walk thru of the unit and features and menus...would be great to see!

OlderSpice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport
This was installed in a RAM truck I think but, all the base features should be the same

There's also a promo video showing what's unique to the jeep for our install

Sponsored

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
Is the face/display detachable on the Heigh10?
You can remove the screen, it can be a little tricky to release the screen the first few times you do it. There are 2 plugs.

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
I have been talking with Stinger since spring and the final product looks great. Just saving up for it now. Any chance someone can post a walk thru of the unit and features and menus...would be great to see!
More Videos are coming to the YouTube channel, but here is a good review of new features offered on the HEIGH10 JL kit:

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Installed my Heigh10 kit this weekend, just wanted to provide some quick feedback regarding the product and installation:

1.) It's mentioned several times in the video and instructions, the "brains" and wires (all 10,000 of them) are a tight fit. Tight is an understatement. That said, I'm running the alpine sub/amp kit that includes the T-harness. The unit will not fit when using the t-harness. No big deal as I just cut and crimped the speaker outputs, but anyone using that t-Harness should be aware and plan accordingly.

2.) The screen is big. Really big. I'm on the fence if I wish I ordered the 8" or not. The interface doesn't really take advantage of the extra real estate. So you wind up with very little content on the screen, just huge. The full-screen backup camera is either ridiculous or awesome, haven't made up my mind yet.

3.) Sound quality is excellent, especially coming from my 5" uconnect. Even though I have been running the alpine amp/sub setup, the 5" uconnect SQ was terrible. Obviously there was bass management and horrible processing happening with that unit. The SQ is a night-and-day difference here - the subwoofer actually "works" now.

4.) Was a little disappointed to discover no HD radio, not the end of the world.

5.) The interface for playing audio from USB is a little clunky, again not the end of the world.

6.) Step 0 in the instructions should be to remove the hardtop (or retract the soft top).

7.) The integration, both physical appearance and the retention of factory controls is excellent.

I had about 6 hours all-in on the install, ~3 of which were trying to jam everything in the dash and dealing with the t-harness deletion.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
No way in hell I'm spending $1500 on a radio. I plan on upgrading to one of these android tablets. They range anywhere from $100-$400, because you can choose how much performance you want (ram, hard drive, etc). I'm not worried about reliability, because those off brand android tablets have lasted me YEARS with everyday use and this just happens to be for a car.

Plus it has an adapter to retain your factory backup camera.
Sponsored