Sponsored

Roof Rack and Basket

Buddhafist24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
I'm trying to get ideas for a roof rack and basket that will hold a few rotopax, recovery boards, and possibly an awning. I'd prefer to not have to spend the money on a Rhino Rack Backbone system and thought I could just go with the Mopar roof rack and some sort of basket. I'd like to have the basket removable so I can haul different things.

Any suggestions for this type of setup?

Thanks
Sponsored

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
I have the Mopar crossbars and really like the way they mount, touching only the gutter and not the side of the roof. If you go this route, you'll have to pay attention to the total weight you put on the system.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'm trying to get ideas for a roof rack and basket that will hold a few rotopax, recovery boards, and possibly an awning. I'd prefer to not have to spend the money on a Rhino Rack Backbone system and thought I could just go with the Mopar roof rack and some sort of basket.

Any suggestions for this type of setup?

Thanks
The mopar roof rack system is a little flimsy, but might work for what you need. Although having an awning on it might be hard.

I am myself working on this and my plan is:
- Exposed racks with 2 distribution feet per crossbar (already installed): it can hold 300lbs dynamic weight which is way more than I need. Technically you could mount and awining, rotopax, recovery boards on this rack without a basket. If you get the one with the holes for accessories. And if you really want something robust, get the RTT edition that comes with 4 or 3 crossbars and you could have lots of accessories on it.
- Yakima megawarrior roof basket: it can hold a good amount of weight, and it is oversized so perfect for long trips.

OP
OP

Buddhafist24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
The mopar roof rack system is a little flimsy, but might work for what you need. Although having an awning on it might be hard.

- Exposed racks with 2 distribution feet per crossbar (already installed): it can hold 300lbs dynamic weight which is way more than I need. Technically you could mount and awining, rotopax, recovery boards on this rack without a basket. If you get the one with the holes for accessories. And if you really want something robust, get the RTT edition that comes with 4 or 3 crossbars and you could have lots of accessories on it.
- Yakima megawarrior roof basket: it can hold a good amount of weight, and it is oversized so perfect for long trips.
Are the racks you refer to something your building or something you're purchasing?

mtbjeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Funny that you posted this as I have recently been working through these same details myself. We've really been enjoying driving out to the beach and at first I was all gung-ho to get a Rhino or Maximus 3 platform but no matter how I tried to explain it myself I couldn't justify the price given that I don't plan on putting much on the roof. I know that having a solid platform would allow the future use of a roof top tent, but I also know me; I'm never doing that. So the platform was out.

So here's my strategy:

We already have Thule aero bars to carry an SUP. The Rhino Rack accessories will fit the track in the Aero bars so we will install the Sunseeker 2.5 (22lbs) on one side, their shovel holder on the other and down the middle I will strap this table with recovery boards and beach chairs attached to the table. I'll be fine on weight, the investment will be really low and it will accomplish everything I need it to do.

Rhino rack also makes a basket that their accessories mount to but they are not giving away the basket either. Cross bars are expensive enough so if you already have crossbars I'd save the money on the basket.

Sponsored

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

I like exposed simplicity and no drill design since I may go roof top tent in the future, have they done any testing to confirm their numbers or are they still their simulation numbers?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I like exposed simplicity and no drill design since I may go roof top tent in the future, have they done any testing to confirm their numbers or are they still their simulation numbers?
Theyve tested it. You can check their website and give them a call.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure that the hardtop is limited to 100 lbs, including the weight of the rack:

From the manual...

The load carried on the roof, when equipped with a luggage rack, must not exceed 100 lbs (45 kg), this includes the weight of the crossbars, and it should be uniformly distributed over the cargo area.

This is the main reason we went with a Gobi rack.
Sponsored