Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I got a 4 chanel amp with 70 RMS and my dash speakers are 60 RMS and the soundbar are 70

• 70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
the amp is a FPX 4.4 SQ good price, which the speakers are also Focals, I figured that would go well together, I was not looking for loud just deeper sound and more detailed at lower volume I guess if that makes sense. So the 70 is the max or the 100 watts is the max
I don't know anything about Focal, but when I was doing stereo everyday you could pretty much count on a dollar a watt. Back in the 90's manufactures used to play with their ratings. But if those component sets are worth 4 ohm's of resistance together than it sounds like you won't be going as low as the amp is capable of and therefore might be getting less power than is possible. Speakers always sound better when the amp can easily control them by having power to spare. I agree with Sting. I like to have more power than the speakers are rated for because it sounds so much more crisp. You can hear and feel the stick hitting the drum and the pick snapping the strings
Sponsored

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
Anyone have any experience with the Kicker 47key200.4 amp? Can get ahold of one for free but wondering if it's quality is worth going thru the install process.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any experience with the Kicker 47key200.4 amp? Can get ahold of one for free but wondering if it's quality is worth going thru the install process.
It's a nice, compact low wattage amp. If you match it to speakers that will perform well with that power threshold, it'll sound much better than stock.

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
It's a nice, compact low wattage amp. If you match it to speakers that will perform well with that power threshold, it'll sound much better than stock.
Would the PAC Amp Pro be the best way of adding this in? I have the 7" base radio with a mix of stock speakers in knee panels and Kicker KS series speakers in dash and sb. Thank you for your help.

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Would the PAC Amp Pro be the best way of adding this in? I have the 7" base radio with a mix of stock speakers in knee panels and Kicker KS series speakers in dash and sb. Thank you for your help.
It would definitely be the easiest to implement option. You'll need to upgrade all of the stock speakers, eventually. Since you're already running Kickers, just stick with a similar path to replace the rest of the stock ones. You'll blow the cheapo stock speakers pretty quickly.

Sponsored

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
It would definitely be the easiest to implement option. You'll need to upgrade all of the stock speakers, eventually. Since you're already running Kickers, just stick with a similar path to replace the rest of the stock ones. You'll blow the cheapo stock speakers pretty quickly.
Thank you again. Figured I would eventually get to replacing all speakers, just not looking forward to digging into the knee panels at all!

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you again. Figured I would eventually get to replacing all speakers, just not looking forward to driving into the knee panels at all!
With the tips listed in post #1, it's really not that bad. Enjoy and have fun with it!

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
I was able to do the upgrade on the 8.4, did the new wiring to the components front and SB, Pac R2 and the aftermarket amp. that took a lot, got sound but only from the front driver speakers. No sound from the sound bar or the passenger front, also the amp does not turn off, also the Roam step light also doesn't go off. a couple of times the head unit did not come on but when I put the factory harness back on it comes back on and then I would put the pac harness on again it works but back to square one. also I noticed now the pac has a solid red light. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot.:angry:

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I was able to do the upgrade on the 8.4, did the new wiring to the components front and SB, Pac R2 and the aftermarket amp. that took a lot, got sound but only from the front driver speakers. No sound from the sound bar or the passenger front, also the amp does not turn off, also the Roam step light also doesn't go off. a couple of times the head unit did not come on but when I put the factory harness back on it comes back on and then I would put the pac harness on again it works but back to square one. also I noticed now the pac has a solid red light. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot.:angry:
Sounds like your radio thinks it's on a phone call or something. I don't know about the pac stuff but my dsr1 actually communicates with the head unit over can bus I believe. Ide make sure you have it programmed correctly.

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Sounds like your radio thinks it's on a phone call or something. I don't know about the pac stuff but my dsr1 actually communicates with the head unit over can bus I believe. Ide make sure you have it programmed correctly.
Are you meaning the pac, I did update it. As for the dip switch checked twice to make sure are done correctly.

Sponsored

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Are you meaning the pac, I did update it. As for the dip switch checked twice to make sure are done correctly.
I wish I had some experience with those to share but I bought the rockford. I know that Doug likes those because he was trying to talk me into it while I was out there. Maybe he or Sting have some insight. Sorry you are having a hard time of it

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
I wish I had some experience with those to share but I bought the rockford. I know that Doug likes those because he was trying to talk me into it while I was out there. Maybe he or Sting have some insight. Sorry you are having a hard time of it
You have the 8.4 amp. In your jeep

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
You have the 8.4 amp. In your jeep
No. Mine is the 7 inch with no factory amp. I did have to put my radio in "amp mode" to get my dsr to work.i would think your setup will bypass your factory amp. Not sure how that wire harness accomplishes that? But if you get sound of of just driver front I think that radio thinks you are on the phone. I think that's what it does when you get a call

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
No. Mine is the 7 inch with no factory amp. I did have to put my radio in "amp mode" to get my dsr to work
I have been digging to see if the problem is the amp, connections or the pac. I thought the biggest problem would be the installation .

KellsiesJLUR

First Name
Kellsie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I have been digging to see if the problem is the amp, connections or the pac. I thought the biggest problem would be the installation .
I think you have a software kinda problem but I don't know how that pac works. I did some research before I pulled the trigger but I never got to see exactly how that one manipulates the factory wiring. The fact that you have just the one playing makes me guess the pac is sending the radio a signal that you want to use the phone or GPS.
Sponsored