Reaching my breaking point... may consider trading my JLUR

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Not meant to be triggering. But need to just reach out as a last hope, although I’m not expecting any miracles.

I think I’ve reached my breaking point. After 9 months of issues, I’m legit contemplating other vehicle options. Sadly, my JLUR was my dream vehicle and there are not a lot of replacements. But I don’t think I have the energy to keep fighting my issues.

After 6 months and about 12k miles, I started having death wobble issues. Since, I’ve replaced every steering and suspension component. Ive reaches out to many forum members for help. I’ve contacted several industry experts via social media. I’ve had the vehicle inspected 4 times locally. I’ve had multiple alignments. I’ve had the tires balanced 3 times. Ive checked the torque specs on every nut and bolt. I’ve had the TSB performed, which helped but has not resolved wobbles. After each repair or change, I’ve experienced a reprieve only for the death wobble to return a few weeks later. It’s now 9 months later and an additional 13k miles.

the wife and I just returned from a 2500 mile trip. During that time, we experienced death wobble 7 times. The rest of the time, we drove in fear of every bump and bridge over pass. This was the first time the wife experienced it and now understands why I haven’t been letting her drive it. This is not normal.

I think I’m done. I’ve exhausted all of my resources. I’ve spent around $4,000. I’ve spent numerous hours under the vehicle and researching. I don’t have any new ideas and can’t keep doing this.

In addition, I have an oil leak somewhere that is burning on the drivers side exhaust manifold. Service department has looked at and denied to resolve. I may have them look at again. The smell is nauseating when the windows down and reminds me of my ‘90 YJ that leaked a quart of oil every 3k miles.

Also, on our trip, the Uconnect started rebooting randomly. First time it’s ever done that in 23k miles. No reason I can find but I’ve heard of others having similar issues

In the future, what do I get to look forward to? Apparently my lockers can quit working at any point. It’s likely I’ll have corrosion issues around my hinges and aluminum doors. What else?

I’m tired. Might start looking at stupid Toyota 4runners. They’re outdated and boring, but at least I can drive 70 on the interstate and not be in fear. That’s worth something.

2425326E-4BBD-4240-84C6-7E979294A36B.jpeg
Why don't you take your Jeep first to different mechanic and let him do the inspection where he will give you an independent opinion and possibly he can write a report of his findings. Oil leak shouldn't be that difficult to diagnose and the wheel wobble I think may be resolved as well. Don't give up yet.
Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
4Runner is not my first choice. I had a 2010 and didn’t like it. Given what I’ve spent, also considering a new defender. My current sticker price, plus money on, plus possible PSC or axle swap, and I e got the same price as a defender.

only reason I havent done ball joints is I won’t diy.
You are going to find your issue and it will be the last place you look.
Tried it. Product and customer service were shit. Removed.

also, don’t wanna confuse “loose” steering with my current DW issue. The current steering TSB resolves all wander and loose steering. No change in DW.
Did DW start after removing the Synergy brace ?

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You are going to find your issue and it will be the last place you look.

Did DW start after removing the Synergy brace ?
No, it started long before. When I was dealing with synergy, they kept suggesting additional new products to resolve. That was one of them. It did stiffen steering but no effect on DW.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I imagine you got the steering box replaced with the new one that just came out?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not lifetime...but rebuildable:

https://www.dynatrac.com/rebuildable-ball-joints/jeep-wrangler-jl-and-gladiator-jt.html

~$650 in parts. If you're balking at $600 labor to change them and apparently $900 in factory BJ parts....sounds like you need to at least consider DIY.

For under $700, you could actually fix the problem...if you're willing to get your hands dirty.
Totally agree. And I could get some Jeep club help replacing myself. I’ve considered. It is out of my comfort zone though. I’ll think about it. Just another 700$ with no guarantee. Hmm. Thanks dude.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
$700 is nothing compared to how much you are going to lose trading in your JL and pay in sales tax and license on a new vehicle.

But I can understand that we all reach a point when we are simply ready to move on.

FWIW, stories like yours make me hesitant to lift my JL.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
God, Jeep/Dana is some sort of special stupid to use an aluminum knuckle that's that fragile on a vehicle that could see disassembly on the trail.
the diesels and mojaves get cast iron knuckles and i heard they may come to all jeeps next year

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$700 is nothing compared to how much you are going to lose trading in your JL and pay in sales tax and license on a new vehicle.

But I can understand that we all reach a point when we are simply ready to move on.
Totally agree. And what I told myself before ordering all 8 control arms. Ugh.

I need to chill for a couple weeks. But once you get that bad taste in your mouth... its hard to come back and restore faith.

thanks for talking through with me.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Well, there is the Bronco coming up if you can stick it for another year, and maybe in that year you'll figure out the issues with your JL?

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, there is the Bronco coming up if you can stick it for another year, and maybe in that year you'll figure out the issues with your JL?
I imagine the first year of a completely new platform being a shot show, don’t you think?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at the landscape of 4x4 vehicles out there, and given what I know now after having owned a Tacoma: if I were forced to get rid of my Wrangler, the only other thing I see myself in would be a Grand Cherokee with a big honking HEMI. WK2 is a handsome truck that has been in production long enough to have had most bugs worked out.

The 2022 Grand Cherokee has just been revealed: I don’t find the new styling an improvement. And seeing the pattern of what Fiat is doing to Jeeps, the next Grand Cherokee is only going to be more complex, more problematic and more expensive.

Bronco is a non-starter for me. I don’t trust Ford to get it right for at least 2 more years.

Besides a Grand Cherokee, perhaps a midsize pickup. The Colorado/Canyon are the most car-like of the bunch; it has a dated interior but, with few exceptions, they seem to have a fairly solid track record. Other than that, I don’t see much else I’d venture into.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Stock 2019 JLUR 6-speed with 12,000 miles here.
This seems like a nightmare, and I pray you find a solution soon.
I’m curious, what percentage of stock JLs/JLUs have steering issues.
I’ve thought about a 2-inch lift and larger tires, but have been thoroughly discouraged about mods because of DW stories like this.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at the landscape of 4x4 vehicles out there, and given what I know now after having owned a Tacoma: if I were forced to get rid of my Wrangler, the only other thing I see myself in would be a Grand Cherokee with a big honking HEMI. WK2 has been in production long enough to have had most bugs worked out.

The 2022 Grand Cherokee has just been revealed: I don’t find the new styling an improvement. And seeing the pattern of what Fiat is doing to Jeeps, the next Grand Cherokee is only going to be more complex, more problematic and more expensive.

Besides a Grand Cherokee, perhaps a midsize pickup. The Colorado/Canyon are the most car-like of the bunch and, with few exceptions, they seem to have a solid track record. Other than that, I don’t see much else I’d venture into.
Haha. So funny, because that is totally in the running too. We just bought a 2020 grand Cherokee limited X for the wife to drive. Not ruling out a HEMI version for me and being complete nerds with matching vehicles. Haha.

I’d miss off-road ability though. We aren’t doing super extreme Stuff like some but we were talking that the wife’s GC wouldn’t be ideal on the Colorado trails we just got back from. Would be a fun daily driver though.
Sponsored