Sponsored

hazylogic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2021 JLUR on order
Hella Yella is my 1st choice too, but I don't want a hard top. And that's the *only* color that requires a hardtop. What the hell? I don't get it.
I ordered my hellayella JLUR on 9/17 with a soft top. I saw the same in the order guide but the dealer somehow did it anyway. Has to be a misprint.
Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I ordered my hellayella JLUR on 9/17 with a soft top. I saw the same in the order guide but the dealer somehow did it anyway. Has to be a misprint.
Whaaaaat? Hmmmm.....good to know! So it seems the ordering system allows it then!

Thanks!

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a Willys Hellyella 8/30, finally built 10/13 waiting for shipping now, ordered 6spd with soft top no issues.

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Can you elaborate on your statement on the JK half doors? I've loved my YJ & TJ half doors in the past.
Sure, however I previously did in another post and for some reason folks got upset/sensitive when I point this out.

I too LOVED my TJ half doors because they: 1) looked cool (single body line going straight back from the hood) and 2) because with the top down + uppers off, it was similar to driving doors off, except when needed due to rain they could quickly be buttoned up (uppers back in and top up). The functional part was most important IMO. After they changed the door-to-window ratio on all new car doors sometime in the 2000s (long after the TJ), I purchased a JK and eventually half-doors for it. I was disappointed because the JK half door was more like a TJ full-door than TJ half door. It wasn’t anything like driving doors off and maybe dropped it down a couple inches from the normal JK full door. In the end, I decided the difference between the newer JK half door and full door wasn’t that much of a diff or more importantly impactful (at least compared to the TJ half doors). For $4K I’d certainly consider passing unless you like the look enough to spend that kind of dough... or maybe just buy Mopar soft doors instead or just stick with full-doors. It’s just not enough of a difference maker and there are plenty of meaningful difference makers you can do for less money.

Last edited:

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Since they are an option that means they will soon be available to order through Mopar fingers crossed. I'll wait out the winter and hopefully come March can order a set and have painted to match

Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Since they are an option that means they will soon be available to order through Mopar fingers crossed. I'll wait out the winter and hopefully come March can order a set and have painted to match
They just showed up in the October order guide this morning. Lots of restrictions though - like you can't get premium uppers w/o the hard top. :-(

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
They just showed up in the October order guide this morning. Lots of restrictions though - like you can't get premium uppers w/o the hard top. :-(
Just finished reading all the ordering restrictions (on the 2-door ordering guide only). They stink:
1. Only available in Granite Crystal, Sting Gray, Sarge Green, Snazzberry, Bright White or Black.
2. Half doors with Base uppers only available with regular - not premium - soft top. And only in black soft top.
3. Half doors with premium uppers only available with hard top.

That leaves me out. Looks like I have to wait until they become available over the part$ counter.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Just finished reading all the ordering restrictions (on the 2-door ordering guide only). They stink:
1. Only available in Granite Crystal, Sting Gray, Sarge Green, Snazzberry, Bright White or Black.
2. Half doors with Base uppers only available with regular - not premium - soft top. And only in black soft top.
3. Half doors with premium uppers only available with hard top.

That leaves me out. Looks like I have to wait until they become available over the part$ counter.
It doesnt make any sense that you cant get premium uppers with the premium soft top, I dont understand the logic, also you cant get the dual top group with the duel door group

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
It doesnt make any sense that you cant get premium uppers with the premium soft top, I dont understand the logic, also you cant get the dual top group with the duel door group
Yep. Some marketing genius thought this made sense. Same with other color half doors.

Now that I think about it - if you order dual top group and dual door group, where do they put all that? They don't exactly ship a vehicle with an accessory crate. So that one I think I understand.

The rest of them? Not so much.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Yep. Some marketing genius thought this made sense. Same with other color half doors.

Now that I think about it - if you order dual top group and dual door group, where do they put all that? They don't exactly ship a vehicle with an accessory crate. So that one I think I understand.

The rest of them? Not so much.
I understand not being able to get dual doors and tops at the same time but why cant you order it and just get the soft top at the dealership so you can lock in the discounted price?

Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Personally, I still think it's a bug. Back with the JK you could get half doors with all models, but your dealer had to make a phone call about your order. The power locks and windows from the Sahara and Rubicon made half doors not an option.

I can't imagine they would limit a door to specific colors. I feel like they are still applying updates to the ordering.

I'm interested to see better pics, I want to know if they changed the window from a zipper and if so... how the heck?

I'd give it some time and I bet most of these issues will be figured out.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I might look for some half doors on ebay in a year or 2, after some of them end up in the junkyards.

TJdesersand

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Windstar
Sure, however I previously did in another post and for some reason folks got upset/sensitive when I point this out.

I too LOVED my TJ half doors because they: 1) looked cool (single body line going straight back from the hood) and 2) because with the top down + uppers off, it was similar to driving doors off, except when needed due to rain they could quickly be buttoned up (uppers back in and top up). The functional part was most important IMO. After they changed the door-to-window ratio on all new car doors sometime in the 2000s (long after the TJ), I purchased a JK and eventually half-doors for it. I was disappointed because the JK half door was more like a TJ full-door than TJ half door. It wasn’t anything like driving doors off and maybe dropped it down a couple inches from the normal JK full door. In the end, I decided the difference between the newer JK half door and full door wasn’t that much of a diff or more importantly impactful (at least compared to the TJ half doors). For $4K I’d certainly consider passing unless you like the look enough to spend that kind of dough... or maybe just buy Mopar soft doors instead or just stick with full-doors. It’s just not enough of a difference maker and there are plenty of meaningful difference makers you can do for less money.
Cool!! Opinion noted, and appreciated. I still want OEM Half Doors, I like em!

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
FCA makes some strange ass decisions...............they make zero sense and 1/2 doors with a hard top..WTH that looks like shit.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm hoping that the final version of the half door soft uppers look considerably better than what we see in the photos on p. 1 of this thread.

As for the ordering requirement eccentricities currently evident in the latest published Order Guide, I'm hoping FCA's restrictions all come out in the wash. Said differently: it's reasonable to expect that, sometime in CY2021, the buyer will be able to order whatever Dual Door group combination he wants, on any JL that he wants to configure.

I can't imagine that the current limitations can or should last when the Dual Door group begins at $4K, and goes to $4.4K in a wink when choosing the premium uppers.
Sponsored