Attachments

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
My baby went in this morning for the steering gear, hopefully get a call this afternoon to come pick her up. My Dealership was dealing with a loss of two service people due to covid...I'm hoping against hope that they are able to get to it after a 1 months wait. Also hoping their crew gets through this okay...they are a decent bunch and they have never given me any issues.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey guys, new member here, been reading this forum and especially this thread for a few days already. I purchased a 2021 JLUR on 09/18/2020 and during the 20 mile drive home from the dealer, I did notice that I needed to adjust the steering wheel a little bit to bring the vehicle back to the center of the highway lane compared to other cars Iā€™ve owned and driven before; sedans, SUVs and pickup trucks.
I initially wasnā€™t sure if itā€™s an issue or not as Iā€™d never owned or driven a Wrangler before.
I also have to say that during street driving, I havenā€™t noticed anything unusual in particular with the steering so far.

Its not my daily and Iā€™ve only put 120 miles on it.

Having checked about an hour ago, I can confirm I do have the new, black, steel AA steering gearbox.

This may sound odd but would one be able to perform a test to see if they have this dead space issue in their steering? Iā€™m assuming going about 60mph on the highway and wobbling the wheel back and forth a little to see if the vehicle shakes side to side is one way to do it? But I assume a Wrangler would not respond to fast & minimal movements of the steering wheel as quickly or as precisely as a sedan or even a typical small suv, so how would I really know if itā€™s dead space or if itā€™s because this is a vehicle that is almost a foot off the ground with really big wheels?

Also, I have noticed a very slight and quiet whining/squealing noise when driving at very low speeds, such as when parking or cruising at 5 miles per hour on a narrow street, but it comes and goes. For example, after Iā€™m done parking but I stay in the car with the engine still on, the noise always disappears within seconds. Is this the noise of the steering pump everyone is talking about?

Thanks everyone for the vast amount of important information youā€™ve all given me from all the posts on this forum regarding owning this very unique and fun vehicle.
Hello @DavidArmen
We are sorry to hear about the concerns you are facing with your new Jeep. Please know that our team is available to you via private message for support alongside dealer appointments. Feel free to send us a private message for assistance throughout your service, we are happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares
@californiajeeping @mgroeger
Dealer just called about my star case where the new box made the dead spot bigger and jeep now pulls to the left. They said FCA wants me to pay $125 to get 37" tire size calibrated in the system by the dealer and then they want to reflash the software.(I had unmarried my tazer prior to dropping it off) How is that going to fix a bigger dead spot and a pull to the left that wasn't present before they put in the new box? We confirmed the jeep is in alignment and caster is at 6.1 & 6.3. I have a 2018 6 speed manual....how is the dealer calibrating tire size going to do anything other than adjust the speedometer like my tazer does? Feels like this is a huge waste of time and $. I want my old aluminum box back.:headbang:
I got the TSB completed and noticed that I definitely got a notchy feeling steering. My fluid a little above the cold line when I checked after it sat all night. I tried to turn the wheel from lock to lock to bleed out air. But if i turn the wheel slowly while not moving I can feel the electric power steering notch through what feel like detents.

So had it back to the dealer for the 4th time and what was originally a noted issue has now been classified as being a "Normal Characteristic of the Vehicle". Had the executive team and the Area Service Manager look at it and said they tested 2 and had the same problem so its a "Normal Characteristic".

I jumped in a 2021 Rubicon with the new gearbox and it was completely smooth. But its their word over mine.

The executive team has said that hopefully more people with this issue go in and try to get it fixed that it flags FCA to take action.

Has anyone else had better luck?
So after 3 weeks I finally got my Jeep back with the new steering gear box and honestly it feels the same. It might even be a bit looser. After driving a Jeep Cherokee rental for 3 weeks idk if itā€™s because Iā€™ve gotten used to the rental.

Dead spot still there, Iā€™d say about an inch like before. They aired my tires so Iā€™ll bring them back down to 32 psi tomorrow. Everybody is talking about stiffer steering and I honestly canā€™t tell a difference. I also donā€™t know if itā€™s notchy because I donā€™t know what notchy steering is.

Does the steering fluid look low?? It looks super low to me! Also I went underneath the Jeep and canā€™t find the steering box. Where is it located? By the tire? And does flashed EPS mean they updated the software?

Oh and there is no way I can torque the bolts to spec so Iā€™ll just have to have faith in the service techs. :crying:

0C3E0A60-7100-4798-B616-5FA52EF66556.jpeg

51308EF8-C6B6-49CA-A590-C212640B909C.jpeg
Well I do know that the Dealership in Delaware said they completed mine.... however after 2 alignments and going to get my 3rd here in Atlanta, I am not to happy with the steering. Thanks for the update and post, now I will have to find another Dealer to say they completed the alignment and hopefully this time something will be corrected. I have 41k on mine and it just seems to be getting worse and not better, the only thing it did correct was the wobble, for a while. We will see I will have to find an ok Dealer in Atlanta......... to be continued..........
@ChattVol @akneppers @Jennalee @MichaelAnthony
We regret to hear that you are experiencing some ongoing concerns with your steering. Our team would like to investigate this further for you in order to determine how to best assist. Please send us a private message with your VIN.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Is it? Haha well Iā€™m a mall crawler :LOL:
Once you get that new (and correct) box you'll be a mall-blaster!
Although I bet there's some trails that you've got your eyes on, you know, a short-cut to the next mall :)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
ANOTHER UPDATE:

Background:
Mrs. Jeep got new gear box and software update and it handles great and tight.
I got the new gear box and software update and it was "Meh" and kind of floaty at best AND my power steering pump got very loud where you could hear the whiney noise while driving at slow speeds. Even the guy at the dealership was shocked out how loud it was.

FCA said to go ahead and have the PUMP replaced since that was the only other thing to look at. VOILA!!! It is super quiet now, sounds like my wife's Jeep, and nice and tight. It's almost like the software was overdriving the pump I had or maybe the pump was on it's way out. Who knows but I am happy to say it feels good now.

There is one caveat and I think I see what others are saying about this "notch" they feel. It's not really a notch, people are calling it a notch but then it goes away after the wheel is turned back past that position. What is happening is that if the Jeep is sitting still and there is no movement applied to the wheel the steering pump is not running (since it is hydro electric and not belt driven). When you turn the wheel the pump immediately turns on and you have power steering.
It appears in my Jeep (and I suspect others) there is a very slight delay in the pump engaging and as such you feel this "notch" as you turn the wheel while the pump engages. When you turn the wheel back past this same spot there is no "notch" because the pump is running and everything is smooth. The only time you would feel the "notch" is when in a parking spot or sitting idle for a bit, while driving there is no sensation of this notch, I only felt it in the parking lot.
That being said I will certainly continue to monitor it but I will take this slight delay in the pump engaging over the meh or loose feeling steering any day.
Hello @mgroeger
Thank you for sharing this here. We would like to further investigate your experience for our internal records. Please send our team a private message with your VIN, thank you.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Yes exactly what Iā€™m experiencing, thinking if the synergy steering brace would help with this or not?
Hello @Harsh
Please know that our team is available to you via private messages. If you are experiencing ongoing concerns with your steering, we would be happy to address this alongside your dealer. Do not hesitate to reach out!

Kathryn
JeepCares

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Well Sadly I got a call to collect my Jeep without having the steering gear installed. Another member of their team came down with covid so they have to shut down operations .....all together 4 were infected. So I will have to call next week to try and schedule another time which I already know will be a month from now!!!! I am not begrudging them ...these are strange times! I just know that another day out to try and get the rig straightened out is going to be difficult specially since it is my dd and my commute to work is an hour.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
SO..... after investigating under the hood today.... I come to find out that the shade tree mechanics at Carman Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Wilmington Delaware didn't perform the work on my steering like they said they did and like what is documented on my paper work..... Now I am hot..... I am working in Atlanta now and wondering why I still am going all over the road..... Hmmm what BS and it is sad to know that when you trust in people always in for the big let down.... I hate chasing people around Liars for saying they completed the work that they never did accomplish..... and I wondered why when I traveled out west on the 5k road trip I had to drive with 2 hands 90% of the time...... What a shame.... I should have known better and looked back when they put my Mopar lift on backwards that they didn't have a clue and they charged me over $100 dollars an hour what a sham......

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
So, I just picked up my 2018, for the TSB Steering fix, and the steering seems solid, and tight. I looked at the new Steering Box, and it is all black, and a magnet sticks to it. So, I assume they put the correct Box in???
Oh, work done in 4 days at Texans Dodge/Jeep/etc. In Humble Texas. They said they were over a month behind in getting the updated boxes, but managed to scrounge one up, the day after I dropped it off, to look at it. It took a few more days to find the correct bolts that go with the box, so they said.

Last edited:

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
Just had the black painted steel box with label installed and can report the steering feel is actually noticeably improved. Dead zone at freeway speeds was about an inch each way feeling vague loose - is now about 1/4ā€ each way feeling tighter more responsive. So is def better. Taking vids helps to confirm the amount of improvement. Steering firmness feels a touch firmer. Boost is about same. Zero wander. No notchiness when turning lock to lock. Power steering fluid was full and system fully bled. Did talk to tech to confirm everything went ok and all torqued and filled ok.

Do go in fully prepared and explain exactly all the known problems that can be encountered in this thread. Also bring a copy of the updated TSB and image photocopies of the old vs new box. This all helped create dialogue and what you expect to be done. Check before leaving the dealership that everything has been done.

Also brought 5L of 0w20 Pen Ultra Plat Syn for them to install so they have that oil change on record and cannot overfill. If on the fence deciding to get this done - dot your iā€™s and cross your tā€™s and get it done. Would suspect that the new boxes with problems are being caused from a bad install or bad part. This was the 5th one done so they had some idea what to do and what not to do.

Without all the excellent input by all us forum members working together - the chances of getting it done right the first time would be greatly diminished. So thanks to everyone. Especially the OP.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 5DD44FD7-F13E-47A2-AED8-9D5A4960F09F

Last edited:

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
SO..... after investigating under the hood today.... I come to find out that the shade tree mechanics at Carman Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Wilmington Delaware didn't perform the work on my steering like they said they did and like what is documented on my paper work.....
If you don't mind - what did they not do that they said they did? BTW, sorry to hear that you're having so many problems.

Later,
Johnny

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't mind - what did they not do that they said they did? BTW, sorry to hear that you're having so many problems.

Later,
Johnny
They didn't swap out the steering.....
5 tire rotation .......
Cabin air filter........
Engine air filter.......
put lift kit on wrong (left side on Right side, etc)
let's just say every time I took it there good old Tony said " just bring it back we will take care of it" LoL yea just one more complete day of wasted time... I should have given them a bad review as much grief as they gave me.

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I wonder if the notchy feel that was introduced after the TSB that others and myself are experiencing is a result of the steering box not having the sector shaft adjusted properly on the new boxes. This video shows what's going on in there:

That sounds exactly like what's happening when I rotate my wheel around the dead-spot on my JL. Not to mention I can feel a kink while my foot is on the brake corresponding with the sound so somethings definitely knocking around.

Seeing that FCA won't allow dealers to do the adjustment and doing it yourself will void the warranty, it seems like a lottery to just get a good steering box from the factory with month long waits between attempts.
Sponsored