2021 JL Eco Diesel needing repair?

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Oh, I heard it in your video and agree that it is very loud . . . I think you do have a problem because I doubt it's supposed to be that loud. Heck, I have no idea what this sound is and if it's the result of normal operation . . . I'd be interested to hear how this gets resolved.
Sponsored

Last edited:

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

Mine sounds like its coming from the same spot. When it shuts off there is another noise that comes from the left side of the engine, like a quick pressure relief. It was too brief for me to be able to locate

Loud even with the hood closed.

it is in the middle of the picture.

Sounds like mine is just louder than everyone else’s. Definitely loud with the hood closed. And really loud with hood open.

610381EE-51CD-4E13-8F76-37650562CE29.png

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Oh, I heard it in your video and agree that it is very loud . . . I think you do have a problem because I doubt it's supposed to be that loud. Heck, I have no idea what this sound is and if it's the result of normal operation . . . I'd be interested to hear how this gets resolved.
I will report back after the dealer looks at it.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I have a 2021 Eco-diesel and mine does the exact same thing. Maybe even a little louder.. I like it, lets me know that the turbo is being cooled after shut down.

When i drive mine, i let it idle for 2 minutes before shutdown, then it runs the pump for another 3 minutes, for the total of 5 minutes of cooling under no load.. good habit to take care of the turbo

MotoMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD Granite Crystal Metallic
Mine does it as well. It doesn't seem as loud as the OP's in the video. I really only notice in my garage as I walk by into the house. I haven't timed it, but it seems like it runs for a longer duration after a more strenuous drive than a quick trip. I'll have to time it one of these days. I also assumed it was cooling for the turbo from other posts read on this forum.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I have a 2021 Eco-diesel and mine does the exact same thing. Maybe even a little louder.. I like it, lets me know that the turbo is being cooled after shut down.

When i drive mine, i let it idle for 2 minutes before shutdown, then it runs the pump for another 3 minutes, for the total of 5 minutes of cooling under no load.. good habit to take care of the turbo
That’s exactly what one dealer said (cooling the turbo and normal) The dealer I bought it from says it not normal and none of his diesels on the lot make that noise. with that being said, mine will make the three minute buzz even if the turbo is cold (morning start up and shut down)
I went to a third dealer to find another diesel so I could confirm theirs did or didn’t make that noise. The buzz on that one only lasts
1 second and goes away. Perhaps a sticky relay on mine.

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
That’s exactly what one dealer said (cooling the turbo and normal) The dealer I bought it from says it not normal and none of his diesels on the lot make that noise. with that being said, mine will make the three minute buzz even if the turbo is cold (morning start up and shut down)
I went to a third dealer to find another diesel so I could confirm theirs did or didn’t make that noise. The buzz on that one only lasts
1 second and goes away. Perhaps a sticky relay on mine.
Just posted on "trail Recon"
" Hey Brad, that buzzing that you're hearing after engine shutdown, is the Def system clearing the lines of fluid (def). More important for colder climates to prevent the fluid from freezing.... cheers "

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Now that makes sense! It would have to run that routine every time the engine starts/stops regardless of turbo temperature.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I thi
Just posted on "trail Recon"
" Hey Brad, that buzzing that you're hearing after engine shutdown, is the Def system clearing the lines of fluid (def). More important for colder climates to prevent the fluid from freezing.... cheers "
what is trail recon?

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
My first thought, is it the DEF system purging its self?

DEF will freeze. The tank is heated (and marked to keep you from overfilling), the rest of the system is not. On shutdown any DEF in the lines will be pumped back into the tank to prevent damage. My motorhome will make a similar noise for a minute or two for this reason.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2010 JKU
Hello, my 2021 Rubicon Diesel does the same thing "fairly loud" , all 2021 diesels on the lot did the same thing and the service department said ...be happy , it's part of short run cooldown New on the 2021's . Didn't ask exactly what it was , but it cures an issue with earlier diesels.

hazards280

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JLUR 392 - Sarge Green
Folks, this is 100% without a doubt an electric pump that stays on after the engine is shut down to circulate coolant through the turbo and prevent damage from heat soak. Due to the location of the turbo, it's almost impossible to see. The same question about the buzzing sound came up in the Alfa Romeo Giulia forums (turbo as well) and the Alfa team chimed in to let us know. The sounds between the JL Diesel and the Alfa are identical and in the car I'm able to see the pump and coolant lines running to the turbo. If I put my finger on the pump while it's making the buzzing sound you can feel the vibration. I'd assume the programming has a simple set of instructions to run for "XX" seconds following shut-down.

I understand we all want to know what our cars are doing, but I feel some of us don't put any faith in the engineering department at the big three. They're not perfect, but throw them a bone every once and a while.

EDIT: Also, I wanted to add - there was a recall on a batch of Giulia's as the factory timer on the pump wasn't set to run long enough. Upon completion of the recall, the turbo's coolant pump runs for a few seconds longer. The recall outlined the function of the pump in complete detail. I'm sure i have the letter filed in with the cars paperwork. I understand they are two completely different engines, but both the JL Diesel and the Alfas engine are produced in Italy, and it's not out of the question that they'd use a similar pump for their turbos.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler rubicon diesel
I posted this question already and got some great feed back regarding an electrical buzz from the engine compartment after shut down that last 2-3 minutes.
The dealer I bought the Jeep from (out of state)is adamant that the noise is not normal and can’t replicate the noise with any of there eco diesels. The second deal says it is completely normal. The third dealer didn’t know but after starting his 2020 eco diesel on the lot I did hear the buzz after shut down but only for 1-2 seconds.
i did make an appointment, however two weeks out. Any of you 2021 eco diesel owners Have this noise or any diesel technicians with answers. Thanks. I posted a video of the buzzing sound.

It's my understanding that the noise you hear when you shut off the engine is the def system pumping out the lines to clear them out to avoid freezing the lines in cold weather. It's completely normal and is actually a good thing. But not ever explained well apparently. I'm hoping to get my jlur ecodiesel this week, wish me luck haha

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I'm by no means any expert on Diesel anything so that part I admit; Having said that The DEF purge makes as much a plausible idea as turbo cooling since both will need to be done to prevent damage and ensure longevity of the motor. Older cars and some Diesels would have a turbo timer that would let the vehicle run for a minute or 2 after stop just to cool down the turbos to prevent bearing damage. My 3000GT, GSX, and Supra all had this feature either from the factory or added by myself. My good friends Porsche has this built into his Panamera.
As for the DEF, not sure as this is my very first Diesel and I am learning as fast as I can about them. They ARE NOT in the same ballpark as my Gas motors, so bear with me.
Sponsored