Sponsored

Bubbles in Paint at Door Hinges

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
@JeepCares , this seems to be a major issue, with a lot of Wranglers. What is FCA going to do, to cover those who have these problems?? Are they going to offer an extended warranty on this design flaw, and fix the doors/hood/hinges the proper way?? Or, are they going to just say "Too bad, and so sad", when the warranty runs out??
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@JeepCares , this seems to be a major issue, with a lot of Wranglers. What is FCA going to do, to cover those who have these problems?? Are they going to offer an extended warranty on this design flaw, and fix the doors/hood/hinges the proper way?? Or, are they going to just say "Too bad, and so sad", when the warranty runs out??
Hi @DaltonGang,

We recommend that anyone that has this issue visit the dealer for a diagnosis. The vehicle concerns will be repaired according to the terms of the warranty. Outside of warranty is a case-by-case basis. As always, if you have questions or concerns, please message us.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Hi @DaltonGang,

We recommend that anyone that has this issue visit the dealer for a diagnosis. The vehicle concerns will be repaired according to the terms of the warranty. Outside of warranty is a case-by-case basis. As always, if you have questions or concerns, please message us.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Hi @JeepCares
Darlene,

What corrective action is FCA taking to remedy this concern in production?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Hi @DaltonGang,

Darlene
Jeep Cares
That's what I thought. You dont know either. BTW, I prefer that my concerns regarding possible lifelong inherent defects in JL quality control issues be discussed, for all to see, not in private messages.
I guess i have to wait until my warranty expires, to see if FCA will step up, and do the right thing.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I heard from Jeep Cares and my local dealer today. I have to take the Wrangler to the shop and go over everything with them. I have heard that the doors need a epoxy primer to be applied before the doors are put on the hinges and painted. The primer will provide a barrier between the metals. I am also working with Jeep Cares to have the paint protection and ceramic coating redone on their tab.

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have the bubbling on the top hinge driver side...small couple of spots. I'll let my dealership make note of it. Not sure if I wanna have it fixed yet or wait till I see more pop up. It will definitely be an issue on all wranglers and it will most assuredly have to be a warranty extension seeing as they have all undergone the same process for painting. it is just a matter of time before they all start to surface.....no pun intended. It has nothing to do with how you tend to your rig and all to do with the lack of understanding metals and keeping a
the paint process pure of contaminants.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @JeepCares
Darlene,

What corrective action is FCA taking to remedy this concern in production?
@calemasters,

As the Customer Care Team, we are unable to provide details regarding production. We have passed this information along internally so that the appropriate parties have been made aware.

That's what I thought. You dont know either. BTW, I prefer that my concerns regarding possible lifelong inherent defects in JL quality control issues be discussed, for all to see, not in private messages.
I guess i have to wait until my warranty expires, to see if FCA will step up, and do the right thing.
@DaltonGang,

We ask for communication in private messages so that contact information such as your phone number, email address, and VIN are not posted publicly on the forum.

I have the bubbling on the top hinge driver side...small couple of spots. I'll let my dealership make note of it. Not sure if I wanna have it fixed yet or wait till I see more pop up. It will definitely be an issue on all wranglers and it will most assuredly have to be a warranty extension seeing as they have all undergone the same process for painting. it is just a matter of time before they all start to surface.....no pun intended. It has nothing to do with how you tend to your rig and all to do with the lack of understanding metals and keeping a
the paint process pure of contaminants.

@Rico1111,

We're sorry to learn that you have this concern as well. If you would like this formally documented on your behalf, please send our team a private message with your VIN to get started.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

tsexton105

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
73 days now without my JL. It is sitting at the dealer, not being worked on. FCA is doing a dance that has resulted in no resolution. I went and test drove a new vehicle this weekend, and once again strolled over to their used lot. Three more JL's, three more cars with paint bubbling. I've been patient, but cannot believe they have not approved a buyback yet. I may have to start the legal process.

7 jeeps purchased in the last 8 years. We were excited about a Grand Wagoneer purchase. Instead, we may be saying goodbye to FCA for good. @JeepCares

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This thread gave me the heebie jeebies!
I own a three-week old firecracker red 2021 JLUR with less than 300mi on the odo. It is my first ever Jeep and Iā€™m truly in love with this car. Although the overall pain job looks amazing to me, I havenā€™t yet fully inspected every inch of the body. But I now have a very strong urge to go to my car right now and inspect all my hinges for any corrosion under the paint and have it documented by @JeepCares !
I really hope FCA finds a solution for this as it really is terrible to see so many new Jeeps corroding away:(

kjone013

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR MOJITO! (3.6, auto, loaded)
Occupation
Army
I just got the call back from my dealer. They say not covered under warranty. He couldn't give me an answer about why a 1 yr old vehicle isn't covered under warranty other than a few months ago they changed what is covered. Well I bought the vehicle before the change so I should still be covered. They told me No. This was Robbins motors in Manhattan KS

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just got the call back from my dealer. They say not covered under warranty. He couldn't give me an answer about why a 1 yr old vehicle isn't covered under warranty other than a few months ago they changed what is covered. Well I bought the vehicle before the change so I should still be covered. They told me No. This was Robbins motors in Manhattan KS
Thatā€™s Fā€™d up!
@JeepCares

kjone013

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 JLUR MOJITO! (3.6, auto, loaded)
Occupation
Army
Thatā€™s Fā€™d up!
@JeepCares
And here's the response from jeepcares

I do see the pictures submitted and Warranty Department advised that it was rejected and referred the dealership to their resources. What I can do is escalate the case up to our Case management Team. The Case Manager will review further and work one on one with yourself and the dealership. The Case Manager will contact you back in 1-2 business days.

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Subscribing.

This thread is extremely disturbing. As a new Wrangler owner, just 6 weeks now, I find it absolutely ridiculous that I may need to worry about my 40K plus vehicle rusting out this easily. Of course, you never seem to read about these things until after a purchase. My Jeep looks perfect at this point, but now I feel the need to start inspecting my hinge areas on a regular basis which is really not a nice feeling with a brand new car.

Really hoping that if this is as big an issue as it appears from reading different forums, that FCA would do some type of recall.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Subscribing.

This thread is extremely disturbing. As a new Wrangler owner, just 6 weeks now, I find it absolutely ridiculous that I may need to worry about my 40K plus vehicle rusting out this easily. Of course, you never seem to read about these things until after a purchase. My Jeep looks perfect at this point, but now I feel the need to start inspecting my hinge areas on a regular basis which is really not a nice feeling with a brand new car.

Really hoping that if this is as big an issue as it appears from reading different forums, that FCA would do some type of recall.
I fully agree. After reading this thread, I went and inspected every single hinge on my 2021 and so far so good but I will be so disappointed if my Jeep starts to rush in a year...especially here in SoCal.

tsexton105

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited
And here's the response from jeepcares

I do see the pictures submitted and Warranty Department advised that it was rejected and referred the dealership to their resources. What I can do is escalate the case up to our Case management Team. The Case Manager will review further and work one on one with yourself and the dealership. The Case Manager will contact you back in 1-2 business days.
Keep us updated! This is ridiculous!
Sponsored