2021 JL Eco Diesel needing repair?

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I posted this question already and got some great feed back regarding an electrical buzz from the engine compartment after shut down that last 2-3 minutes.
The dealer I bought the Jeep from (out of state)is adamant that the noise is not normal and can’t replicate the noise with any of there eco diesels. The second deal says it is completely normal. The third dealer didn’t know but after starting his 2020 eco diesel on the lot I did hear the buzz after shut down but only for 1-2 seconds.
i did make an appointment, however two weeks out. Any of you 2021 eco diesel owners Have this noise or any diesel technicians with answers. Thanks. I posted a video of the buzzing sound.

Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I have the noise. It happens every time I shut it off. Im under the impression it is normal and as designed however I wish it wasn't so loud.

Edit: mine is a 2021

Last edited:

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Thank you for posting that video. I have NEVER heard that sound in my 2020 EcoDiesel. I'm a little above 5k trouble-free miles.

Can you isolate the source of the sound?

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
The 2020s ive spent seat time in both have that noise but it’s not as loud

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
One of the guys from this forum says that the noise is an electric pump circulating coolant through the turbo. I have a noise on shutdown but I don't think it sounds as loud. And I personally thought it had something to do with the high pressure fuel being bled off. But hearing it that loud in your video it makes me think the water pump deal might be right.

Not sure why some are louder than others?

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, I just opened the hood and ran the engine for about a minute to see if I could hear this sound.

Sure enough, I heard the same sound as heard in the video above, but not nearly as loud. In fact, had I not opened the hood, I would not have heard the buzzing sound at all. The buzzing sound persisted for a full 3-minutes before an subtle, audible click is heard and the buzzing stops.

Interesting.

gregssstaaa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have a 2020 Willys diesel. Can confirm that mine makes a buzzing sound, although not as loud as yours. It only lasts about a minute. There's a similar thread over at the Gladiator forums: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...uzzing-sound-from-engine-after-shutoff.35747/

Also, curious to know what you meant when the 2020 had a second gen? I'm sure there's no difference between 2020 and 2021 engines, and the 2020 has a third gen ecodiesel.

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Thank you for posting that video. I have NEVER heard that sound in my 2020 EcoDiesel. I'm a little above 5k trouble-free miles.

Can you isolate the source of the sound?
it is in the middle of the picture.
Out of curiosity, I just opened the hood and ran the engine for about a minute to see if I could hear this sound.

Sure enough, I heard the same sound as heard in the video above, but not nearly as loud. In fact, had I not opened the hood, I would not have heard the buzzing sound at all. The buzzing sound persisted for a full 3-minutes before an subtle, audible click is heard and the buzzing stops.

Interesting.
Sounds like mine is just louder than everyone else’s. Definitely loud with the hood closed. And really loud with hood open.

610381EE-51CD-4E13-8F76-37650562CE29.png

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I have a 2020 Willys diesel. Can confirm that mine makes a buzzing sound, although not as loud as yours. It only lasts about a minute. There's a similar thread over at the Gladiator forums: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...uzzing-sound-from-engine-after-shutoff.35747/

Also, curious to know what you meant when the 2020 had a second gen? I'm sure there's no difference between 2020 and 2021 engines, and the 2020 has a third gen ecodiesel.
My mistake. I thought the 2021 had design changes.

DrRay81

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Yes my 2021 does that as well. Was told it’s a coolant pump to cool down the turbo

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes my 2021 does that as well. Was told it’s a coolant pump to cool down the turbo
This doesn't make sense to me as I only ran my engine for a minute while parked in my garage and heard the buzz for nearly 3 minutes after shutting it down. There's no way the turbo could have gotten to a temperature requiring 3 minutes of cooling.

DrRay81

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
This doesn't make sense to me as I only ran my engine for a minute while parked in my garage and heard the buzz for nearly 3 minutes after shutting it down. There's no way the turbo could have gotten to a temperature requiring 3 minutes of cooling.
Well whatever it is mine does that too. Every time I start the engine whether it be for a hour running or less than a minute running I get that same buzzing. Maybe we both have issues or we’re both normal

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt it's a problem, especially since its inaudible with the hood closed. But I would like to know the source of the sound and it's purpose.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
Mine does it to and it is fairly noticeable when the vehicle is shut off and hood closed.

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I doubt it's a problem, especially since its inaudible with the hood closed. But I would like to know the source of the sound and it's purpose.
Oh mine is loud with the hood closed.
Sponsored