Sponsored

Mopar Flat Tow Harness arrived

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I think I’m just gonna stick with what I know I had a Demco kit on my 2013 sonic that worked awesome for years, never a problem. It was reasonably priced. No diodes, no relays, no fuses, no cutting, no splicing no probing with a test light or any nonsense like that. just plug into the tail lights route to the front of the vehicle, wire in your 6 way and done.
I just keep looking at that Mopar harness and for what it is it just seems way overpriced, way over engineered and way more work than it needs to be and I keep hearing of people having problems with it sprinkled throuout the site.
A word of caution, the newer (2020 at least) Jeeps use LED lights and transformers and other electronic wizardry that may (most likely does) make kits like the one DEMCO sells, not suited in that you will have problems with it, if indeed the kit taps into the vehicle lighting system. Kits that use their own bulbs, or a kit that one of the Jeep accessory vendors here, sells are the easiest if you don't want to have the dealer install yours (like I did) or don't want to struggle with it...JMHO

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
The demco kits are vehicle specific. You have to order the kit for the 2020.

No problems at all with my 2020 JL. Installed the demco wiring kit in about an hour. Plugs were factory and plugged right in, there was also a diode module to protect the circuits. Demco is not new to the wiring harness game, have used this same kit (although different part number) on other vehicles as well without any issues.
it’s by far the best and least complicated kit bang for the buck option in my opinion and contrary to the oem mopar kit, no splicing was required at all.
The mopar kit honestly looks like a overly complicated hot mess just to power up tail lights in my opinion.

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion

No problems at all with my 2020 JL. Installed the demco wiring kit in about an hour. Plugs were factory and plugged right in, there was also a diode module to protect the circuits. Demco is not new to the wiring harness game, have used this kit on other vehicles as well without any issues.
it’s by far the best and least complicated kit bang for the buck option in my opinion and contrary to the oem mopar kit, no splicing was required at all.
The mopar kit honestly looks like a overly complicated hot mess just to power up tail lights in my opinion.
Wish that was around 1n 18.
I used the Roadmaster harness then.
Splicing required.
Not that difficult.
Diodes are in use.
My point. Three years in and no issues with the Jeep being towed or not.
Rvi charger works.
Really satisfied with the RVi3.

JLBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory order JL once I finalize the configuration..
Splicing required.
Not that difficult.
Diodes are in use.
Rvi charger works.
Yea they definitely took awhile to come out with it for the JL. It’s only been out for a couple months now. Before that there was a shitty diode kit which there is a YouTube installation video for but I wouldnt recommend that.
Here is the new JL plug and play kit for 18-20 JL. Demco # 9523157

Sponsored

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van

No problems at all with my 2020 JL. Installed the demco wiring kit in about an hour. Plugs were factory and plugged right in, there was also a diode module to protect the circuits. Demco is not new to the wiring harness game, have used this same kit (although different part number) on other vehicles as well without any issues.
Glad to hear it! I have set up so many vehicles to tow, either having them done by someone else (dealer, RV shop) or doing it myself, that I am very leery of non-OEM kits and the trouble they can cause with the newest LED lighted vehicles. Since I chose to have the dealer install the OEM kit before I took delivery of my '20, I have no idea how much if any trouble they had installing it - I just know it works fine.
Thanks for clarifying - would hate to sell DEMCO short if indeed they sell a plug-and-play kit now!

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Splicing required.
Not that difficult.
Diodes are in use.
Rvi charger works.
Hypalon Man - not wanting to steal this thread, but seeing an opportunity to ask someone who has direct experience...I have an RVi3 braking device that I love the design and theory of operation of, but have trouble with the 12 volt male plug disconnecting only momentarily from the supply - especially when using it in my trucks and Jeep (they bounce more when being towed). Have you had any trouble with the power being lost momentarily, where you get the msg on the tablet that you need to reset the device, only to stop and find out the device has power but lost it in a bump just long enough (less than a second?) for it now to require a reset?

Oakmanr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I am old and prone to finding the easiest way out. I just picked up my 2018 JL 2 door 2.0T Rubicon from the dealer. I paid a hair under $750 out the door with the new MOPAR harness installed.

They told me it would take a half day. It ended up a day and a half. The Service Manager said it was their first install for the 18 JL harness and they said it got ugly.

No change in price. Old Guy point of view... MOPAR HARNESS, DEALER INSTALLED, they own any and all problems. I paid the big butchers bill, but, at 68 years old, I like easy too.

My 2 cents, consider the 3 hours labor money well spent.

v/r rch
Have you had any issues with the battery going dead on the jeep? i use the ready brute elite tow bar system, so i have no powered breaking system. i have the same jeep and mopar installed harness.

thanks in advance

Hypalon Man

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Grand Charokee, 18JL, MB Sprinter 3500 based WGO Navion
Have you had any issues with the battery going dead on the jeep? i use the ready brute elite tow bar system, so i have no powered breaking system. i have the same jeep and mopar installed harness.

thanks in advance
I tow an 18JL Wrangler. I doubt that you will have battery issues unless you drive for days with the lights on and don't run the Jeep..... but if you want to be on the safe side you can install something like RVi Brake 12vdc charger. It picks up power from the center pin of the 7 way plug. So easy even an old guy can install it. I was 68 when I did the complete tow setup. You will have to access the connection on the Jeep and run a wire to the RVi box then connect to the battery which is the easy part. I haven't had any battery issues in 3 years. I power an RVi3 brake system.

RVi Towed Battery Charger Plus, charge line replacement for flat towing (rvibrake.com)

There are other units out there but this is compact and has indicating lights showing it is working.

Last edited:

ForzaNature

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
First, thanks to all for your info. Very helpful. The latest part number for the Tow Harness is 82216358AA. I have it in hand and am planning the project. First thing I noticed is the instructions are different than those posted in this thread and call for the removal of the passenger rear wheel well. Can anyone confirm this as necessary for a 2019 Wrangler Sport? This requires removing 6 plastic rivets and replacements are not included with the kit like they are for the front. Given this difference, I wonder now if there are any other gotchas with the new kit. Has anyone installed this version of the harness and have tips to share?

Sponsored

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I Installed the harness with that part number on my 2021 JLURD. Watch the couple of videos and read through others experiences on this thread. I did not remove the entire rear wheel well, I simply removed the liner enough to give me access to run the harness.
Also, with the Front fender and liner you can either follow instructions and drill out the plastic rivets and re-do on installation or pull the entire fender away after removing the liner retainers and several bolts (again there are a few videos mentioned in this thread). Also, if you have a steel bumper, you do not need to remove the rear bumper. Simply remove the license plate mount and you will have access to the light.
The instructions are horrible and really a pain for me since the diesel air cleaner is flipped and the battery is up against the firewall.
Last bit of advice, when inserting wire leads into the connector housing, use needle nose pliers to pull the lead and fully seat the rubber washer.
Good luck!

ForzaNature

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
I Installed the harness with that part number on my 2021 JLURD. Watch the couple of videos and read through others experiences on this thread. I did not remove the entire rear wheel well, I simply removed the liner enough to give me access to run the harness.
Also, with the Front fender and liner you can either follow instructions and drill out the plastic rivets and re-do on installation or pull the entire fender away after removing the liner retainers and several bolts (again there are a few videos mentioned in this thread). Also, if you have a steel bumper, you do not need to remove the rear bumper. Simply remove the license plate mount and you will have access to the light.
The instructions are horrible and really a pain for me since the diesel air cleaner is flipped and the battery is up against the firewall.
Last bit of advice, when inserting wire leads into the connector housing, use needle nose pliers to pull the lead and fully seat the rubber washer.
Good luck!
Thanks. Appreciate the response.

MoJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLURD EcoDiesel, 1985 Jeep CJ 7, 2018 Dynamax Dynaquest XL
Occupation
Consultant- motorcycle and automotive
I have the MoPar kit installed on my 2021 JLURD and it works like a champ when towing the Jeep. I like that it is plug and play with the existing Jeep wiring harness.
I have one question. Is it possible to install a battery charge line in the MoPar Tow Harness? My old and feeble mind thinks it read somewhere that it is possible. I have a Demco Air Force One brake controller that works with the air brakes on my motorhome, but I am concerned about having the lights on for an extended run (6 to 8 hours) and running the battery down if I don’t have a charge line from the motorhome to the Jeep.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I have one question. Is it possible to install a battery charge line in the MoPar Tow Harness? My old and feeble mind thinks it read somewhere that it is possible. I have a Demco Air Force One brake controller that works with the air brakes on my motorhome, but I am concerned about having the lights on for an extended run (6 to 8 hours) and running the battery down if I don’t have a charge line from the motorhome to the Jeep.
The lights on the jeep are powered by the RV when towing. If you have anything else using battery while under tow then the battery charge line is essential. I was able to tap into an unused wire in the harness for the connection. Be sure to use a smart charge controller (I used one from brake buddy) so you don't back charge to the RV when the RV is not running.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Noob question for you in the know. I had the mopar flat tow harness installed along w tow harness. We just arrived in San Antonio and disconnected Moabee and battery was dead. Isn’t the harness supposed to keep the battery charged or at least use RV power for the lights? Not sure if I’m missing something or amiss.
Was only connected since Friday, today is Sunday.
Sponsored