Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
You must have never gone into any of the MOAB threads when it came out then :CWL:

Although to be fair, most of that was tongue-in-cheek and in good fun. But some people can't take a joke, and some people take it too far to a point where it stops being a joke.
Yeah, some people are too thin skinned. That's a personal problem that shouldn't be put on someone else's head.

What i remember from those original Moab threads was light hearted, like you said. Occasionally, there was a post that claimed it was just like a Rubi minus the lockers. Then someone would chime in to detail the technical differences, which had a tendency to be taken the wrong way and led to the thread heading south.

I think they should've kept the Moab around. So many people go the extra steps with Rubi takeoffs, so it was the perfect short cut for those that have no intentions of going bigger.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Our house is the opposite, husband wanted white but told me to order whatever as it will be my daily driver (we have a 2014 JK Willys for our trail Jeep). I went with a yellow Willys JLU and havenā€™t told anyone what color I ordered. Heā€˜ll find out when we roll into the Dealer and pick it up.....hope he likes it. :LOL:
If he's smart, he'll keep his mouth shut and just be happy that you're happy. Lol

Congrats on your upcoming Willys!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You must have never gone into any of the MOAB threads when it came out then :CWL:

Although to be fair, most of that was tongue-in-cheek and in good fun. But some people can't take a joke, and some people take it too far to a point where it stops being a joke.
a1d4bac915884b3f9d5feee9--life-advice-movie-quotes.jpg

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I know there is some snobbery, but mostly I have seen the opposite. I have met so many people and they have all been so cool and generous.

For example, a couple of weeks ago a Gladiator owner I have never met in person came to my house and helped me install a winch and bumper.

Heck on the drive out to Windrock last week two different strangers came up to me and complimented my Jeep. unfortunately one of them was a sheriff giving me a speeding ticket. But he liked my Jeep.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I know there is some snobbery, but mostly I have seen the opposite. I have met so many people and they have all been so cool and generous.

For example, a couple of weeks ago a Gladiator owner I have never met in person came to my house and helped me install a winch and bumper.

Heck on the drive out to Windrock last week two different strangers came up to me and complimented my Jeep. unfortunately one of them was a sheriff giving me a speeding ticket. But he liked my Jeep.
Classic. You should actually look at your speedo sometimes :CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, some people are too thin skinned. That's a personal problem that shouldn't be put on someone else's head.

What i remember from those original Moab threads was light hearted, like you said. Occasionally, there was a post that claimed it was just like a Rubi minus the lockers. Then someone would chime in to detail the technical differences, which had a tendency to be taken the wrong way and led to the thread heading south.

I think they should've kept the Moab around. So many people go the extra steps with Rubi takeoffs, so it was the perfect short cut for those that have no intentions of going bigger.
True, some people can be thin skinned, but it cuts both ways: some can be insulting under the pretext of being ā€œfunnyā€, too.

Over the years I found those who accuse others of being thin skinned often times canā€™t take a joke themselves.

Thereā€™s a reason everyone would love to be a comedian, but only a few get paid for it.

Last edited:

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Entertaining read. There's always perceptions out there and people looking down on others for one reason or another. Heck, back in high school it might be the type of sneakers you wore. Or the sports you played. Or any other number of things. I think learning to ignore people and just making yourself happy is an important skill to learn.

Anyways, I'm new here, have never owned a Jeep and not even a Jeep owner yet. I have a 2021 JLUR on order and hope to have it in the next month or two. It's basically a vehicle I wanted for a long time but never got around to getting for whatever reason. I just figured it was about time and looking for something that can be fun to drive in the summer and also go through snow in the winter.

I'm sure I'm somebody that would be looked at with crossed eyes for choosing the Rubicon. Do I plan to off road? Probably not but I don't know....maybe a trail trip of some sort would be a fun excursion for the wife and I sometime in the future. Did I need to step up to the Rubicon from one of the other models? No, probably didn't. But I just liked the look of it and the sportier "out of the box" vibe and the many build options it had compared to some of the other models I was looking at. And basically, I saw a couple this summer in passing and just thought how cool they looked so that's what I wanted. Looking through this site though, it's clear you can make any trim Wrangler look fantastic with all the options this vehicle has.

If it makes me a poser because I don't want to go out and crawl over rocks or get my new Jeep full of mud, then so be it I guess. My kids are older now and it's finally a chance for me to stop driving family truckster style vehicles like Vans, Acadia's or whatever else we've had over the years and have a little fun.

I have to say I had no idea about the "wave" thing. My Dad used to own a Corvette back in the day and would always wave to every other Corvette he passed like it was a secret code. Didn't know there was a Jeep thing like that too lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! That reminds me of what it was like to drive my Dodge Challenger. I got pulled over four times in six months: every time the cop would be ogling over the car, but I still got a ticket...or two.

That car couldnā€™t have attracted more cops if it had an open box of donuts on the trunk. So I sold it. Life is already too exciting as it is.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Our house is the opposite, husband wanted white but told me to order whatever as it will be my daily driver (we have a 2014 JK Willys for our trail Jeep). I went with a yellow Willys JLU and havenā€™t told anyone what color I ordered. Heā€˜ll find out when we roll into the Dealer and pick it up.....hope he likes it. :LOL:
ehh......he will probably bitch about it for a couple of days and then be over it lmao.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
90% of JL Rubicon purchases are status symbol. As majority eather use them as mallcrawlers or light offroad where a crossover would do just as fine.
I feel like people therse days think in order to go ofroad they need top of the line Rubi, just incase.

Overall people therse days tend to waist money mindlessly on over the top useless stuff and payoff everything on credit.
But they sure look good in front of their neighbors/relatives.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've been driving OFF-ROAD for over 65 years--Rangers/Xterra's/jeeps/ATV's/sand rails--etc

My last jeep was a 2008 JKUR- highly modified and it was a TOTAL PLEASURE on-road/off-road-

I get the SAME UP-NOSE ATTITUDE on my '18 SAHARA--but

Having been retired for 28 years and RATHER INDEPENDANT--I don't give a SHI@ what anyone thinks about it --

It snows here every winter and I NEVER HAVE TO CLEAR MY DRIVEWAY, that alone makes my SAHARA/RAM smile as I drive thru the SNOWY STREETS !

W.E.

JIMBO

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
The fact that I can drive my immaculately clean Rubi and have anyone scoff that itā€™s not being used as intended puts a smile on my face. Do people actually think this way? If so, there are clinics that can help you.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Iā€™ve owned three jeeps (ā€˜06 TJ, ā€˜94 YJ and now a ā€˜19 JLR) and itā€™s still hard for me to see the 4 door as anything other than a compromise that exists to keep the wrangler alive. For that Iā€™m grateful, and I donā€™t give anyone shit for buying a 4 door, but it does make me sad to see so many of them everywhere because it just reminds me that the 2 doorā€™s days are numbered. Same sentiment for the manual trans.

If that makes me elitist, so be it... I just hate to see what I grew up on disappear.
Hopefully you are wrong on the 2dr being on the way out, it's been talked about in several threads w/ different opinions.

There's just so much use for the 2dr and many don't need or want that extra space. With the new Bronco coming out (which only looks proper in the 2dr IMO) I think that will keep the JL & JLR around for at least the foreseeable future. If not, I better take damn good care of mine :)

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Any snobbery is B.S. Those people need to get a life. If the best thing going for you is your jeep and jeep "expertise" you are pretty pathetic.

I bought a Sahara bc it was the only one offered at the time with 4 auto in addition to 4 high and low. Have previously had a JK sport I No idea it was or wasn't a thing.

0 Shits given here for what anyone thinks.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!