Death Valley 10/23

steverino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It’s cooling off some there. Anyone up for death Valley?
Sponsored

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
Any must do trails/roads for stock Jeeps? I am considering Racetrack, Echo Canyon ... late November.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Any must do trails/roads for stock Jeeps? I am considering Racetrack, Echo Canyon ... late November.
By no means am I a Death Valley expert...but if you are going to Racetrack my .02 is to camp at Lee Flat and take Saline Valley Road/Hunter Mountain Road/Hidden Valley Road to Teakettle Junction on the way. Stop at Lost Burro mine where there is a short hike where you can see Racetrack from above. On the way back, you can either retrace, or do Lippincott, which I have not done out of an abundance of caution about driving such roads solo.

Echo Canyon is nice, and there is a cool old mine a ways up.

I also like Chloride Cliffs and the Gold Valley area.

We did Trail Canyon a week or so ago and the flies were brutal. Maybe as things cool off it will get better. We planned to go to Striped Butte, but decided not to this time.

We also did Titus Canyon after a night camping near Rhyolite. Well worth it. Red Pass is particularly cool, especially if you hike up a bit above it.

We did a lot more than what I've mentioned. PM me if you want to chat more.

OP
OP

steverino

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Saline Valley Road/Hunter Mountain Road/Hidden Valley Road to Teakettle is the route we are planning.

Lippencott will be when I get 35's

Sponsored

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
You should be totally fine on doing Lippencott Pass. I was there back in March. Im on 35's and there was nothing the factory 33's couldn't handle. My buddy with an xterra and 33's handled it no problem. Titus Canyon was fun drive. Mountain shelf roads then in the slot canyons. If you have time definitely check it out. Remember its a 1 way from the Nevada side. Be safe and have fun on your trip! There is so much to see out there, that we are going back next spring possibly to do more northern Saline Valley.

trizzot

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
After 7, 45 day rotations there I cant imagine what its like to be there as a civilian. What's the temps like in the winter? Used to fly into Bike Lake, real cool place right next to Tiefort Mountain. Be safe, that place can be unforgiving.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
With the exception of shit weather and road conditions (ice/snow/mud), there is nothing you can't do in Death Valley in a stock Rubicon. My first off road trip there was the Saline Valley/Hunter Mnt/Race Track/Lippincott/Saline Valley South loop and I did it in a stock Sahara JK with no issues. The views going up Hunter and coming down Lippincott are awesome as well.

Best advice is to be prepared for wind. I've been through some terrible wind storms out there and have learned the hard way to always be prepared to sleep inside your vehicle as a plan B if necessary.

Frezski

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2013 F250, 2016 Accord, 2016 Yami R1M
Occupation
Slave to the Trade
Vehicle Showcase
What bandana said ^ lots of micro climates and the wind can be ridiculously brutal. The week I was out there earlier in the year I had warm weather, rain, snow and temps below freezing. Some of which were all in the same given day.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
With the exception of shit weather and road conditions (ice/snow/mud), there is nothing you can't do in Death Valley in a stock Rubicon. My first off road trip there was the Saline Valley/Hunter Mnt/Race Track/Lippincott/Saline Valley South loop and I did it in a stock Sahara JK with no issues. The views going up Hunter and coming down Lippincott are awesome as well.

Best advice is to be prepared for wind. I've been through some terrible wind storms out there and have learned the hard way to always be prepared to sleep inside your vehicle as a plan B if necessary.
Living very close to DV and dealing with the winds you mentioned is what led me to decide on a Bundutec RTT, there's no way you are going to "set up" a tent that requires any kind of manual efforts to open when the winds get cranking out here, and the winds are very unpredictable year round also. A lot of people go to DV thinking "hottest place on earth" and end up with hypothermia.

Sponsored

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Living very close to DV and dealing with the winds you mentioned is what led me to decide on a Bundutec RTT, there's no way you are going to "set up" a tent that requires any kind of manual efforts to open when the winds get cranking out here, and the winds are very unpredictable year round also. A lot of people go to DV thinking "hottest place on earth" and end up with hypothermia.
Totally true. In a Feb 2019 trip we spent 2 days camping at Lee Flat in 3" of snow, 19º temps, and high winds. Stowing the Batwing felt like a life-threatening experience.

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have done Death Valley on motorcycles and a convertible Camaro. I can not wait to go to Death Valley with the Jeep and really experience the off the beating path areas.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
We are headed out for a day trip to Titus canyon tomorrow. As close as I live ive never been there, probably because its one of the more touristy places in DV which usually avoid and its not much of an offroading trip either. Its on the Nevada side of the park and will take a couple hours to get to the one way entrance from where im at. DV is a big place. We'll probably fart around through the some other areas on our way back.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
We are headed out for a day trip to Titus canyon tomorrow. As close as I live ive never been there, probably because its one of the more touristy places in DV which usually avoid and its not much of an offroading trip either. Its on the Nevada side of the park and will take a couple hours to get to the one way entrance from where im at. DV is a big place. We'll probably fart around through the some other areas on our way back.
I haven't driven Titus either, but Fall Canyon is a nice day hike that provides some reprieve from the sun. You can park at the small parking lot where the two way dirt road starts on the DV side of Titus. Short walk just north from there, look for a use trail that leads from behind the restrooms. Happy trails!

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
we are going to wait in a grocery store line up , send some pics
Sponsored