Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted@JeepCaresand so far have not heard anything from them. I don't know how long it normal takes for a response.
I usually received a reply within 36 hours or less.

They were awesome and the only thing that made a difference. My local dealership is terrible, completely terrible.

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
I usually received a reply within 36 hours or less.

They were awesome and the only thing that made a difference. My local dealership is terrible, completely terrible.
I just received a message from jeep cares. According to them the diesel Rubicon is covered by the TSB. As soon as I get home I will forward the vin number and milage. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Yes,, I had mine done yesterday. Now I have a lot of extra oscillation! :/
Yes quite a few people are getting a "notchy" feel. We still cant figure it out. Im concerned these boxes have issues too. Ive been back to dealer and they said all is normal

Sponsored

DWheelerR

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Occupation
Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes quite a few people are getting a "notchy" feel. We still cant figure it out. Im concerned these boxes have issues too. Ive been back to dealer and they said all is normal
Mine is smooth as butter and very tight. Zero complaints. Just I have baby death wobble now. So I'm trying to figure that out. Lol

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is smooth as butter and very tight. Zero complaints. Just I have baby death wobble now. So I'm trying to figure that out. Lol
Check to make sure they tightened your track bar. You never know :facepalm:

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
So after 3 weeks I finally got my Jeep back with the new steering gear box and honestly it feels the same. It might even be a bit looser. After driving a Jeep Cherokee rental for 3 weeks idk if it’s because I’ve gotten used to the rental.

Dead spot still there, I’d say about an inch like before. They aired my tires so I’ll bring them back down to 32 psi tomorrow. Everybody is talking about stiffer steering and I honestly can’t tell a difference. I also don’t know if it’s notchy because I don’t know what notchy steering is.

Does the steering fluid look low?? It looks super low to me! Also I went underneath the Jeep and can’t find the steering box. Where is it located? By the tire? And does flashed EPS mean they updated the software?

Oh and there is no way I can torque the bolts to spec so I’ll just have to have faith in the service techs. :crying:

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 0C3E0A60-7100-4798-B616-5FA52EF66556

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 51308EF8-C6B6-49CA-A590-C212640B909C

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
So after 3 weeks I finally got my Jeep back with the new steering gear box and honestly it feels the same. It might even be a bit looser. After driving a Jeep Cherokee rental for 3 weeks idk if it’s because I’ve gotten used to the rental.

Dead spot still there, I’d say about an inch like before. They aired my tires so I’ll bring them back down to 32 psi tomorrow. Everybody is talking about stiffer steering and I honestly can’t tell a difference. I also don’t know if it’s notchy because I don’t know what notchy steering is.

Does the steering fluid look low?? It looks super low to me! Also I went underneath the Jeep and can’t find the steering box. Where is it located? By the tire? And does flashed EPS mean they updated the software?

Oh and there is no way I can torque the bolts to spec so I’ll just have to have faith in the service techs. :crying:

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 51308EF8-C6B6-49CA-A590-C212640B909C

Well, that completely sucks. You have the two door, right? Isn't the 2 door steering gear part number supposed to be: 8507571AA? 8507569AA is for the 4 door.
Mine (2020 2 door) was done just last week and much better.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, that completely sucks. You have the two door, right? Isn't the 2 door steering gear part number supposed to be: 8507571AA? 8507569AA is for the 4 door.
Mine (2020 2 door) was done just last week and much better.
Yes I have a 2 door Willys. So they put the 4 door steering gear in my 2 door?? If I have to drop it off again :mad::mad::mad: ARGH!!

I’m going to have to drive this around until they order another one for me is it even safe to drive??

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yes I have a 2 door Willys. So they put the 4 door steering gear in my 2 door?? If I have to drop it off again :mad::mad::mad: ARGH!!
Yep, that's the part# for the 4dr box :(
My dealer also did the same thing, luckily they caught it before the install and reordered the 2dr box, but didn't torque my bolts and forgot to put the cap back on the steering fluid tank :(

If your jeep was cold then that fluid level is correct, if you were running it then checked that level it's a bit low.

My Jeep took awhile to feel tightened up and improved, after I torqued all the bolts to spec and drove it awhile it's much better now, actually no complaints at all :)

As far as confirming torque, maybe a forum member that lives near you can check it for you, only takes a few minutes if you have an 18mm socket, an extension and a 1/2" torque wrench.

Oh, and getting the correct 2dr box would be a step in the right direction. If and when they get the proper box installed I'd just ask them to be sure the bolts were tightened per spec, as you WILL be checking them :)

***Oh, and it does say on that part invoice that your steering will WONDER, I wonder what it's wondering?? Maybe it's wondering if it will suddenly wander???

Good Luck!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I’m going to have to drive this around until they order another one for me is it even safe to drive??
As long as the box is tight there should be no issues driving it safely as long as you drive carefully until you are used to the difference. I would imagine the difference between the 2dr & 4 dr box would only be to the turning ratio, so your 2dr would now be quicker to turn.
I would take some time to get used to the difference and definitely inform the dealer that you need the correct box ASAP.

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as the box is tight there should be no issues driving it safely as long as you drive carefully until you are used to the difference. I would imagine the difference between the 2dr & 4 dr box would only be to the turning ratio, so your 2dr would now be quicker to turn.
I would take some time to get used to the difference and definitely inform the dealer that you need the correct box ASAP.
Thank you for all the helpful info! I left a vm for my service advisor. I’m super sad :crying: But I’m glad your Jeep came out great!

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue

You're right at the COLD MAX line, so fluid level is good if that picture was taken with the engine/fluid cold. If it was hot at the time, you may be a bit low