Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Nearly everyone who takes their jeep on trips is overloading their rig payload. It takes very little to go overboard. I think that sticker is just telling us "watch it" jeeps are light and intended to be light, they can't carry much. You can upgrade your suspension and tires, but that's not all there is to payload. There is tires, suspension (ALL components), axles, frame.

However, it doesn't take much brain to realize the number on the door is probably a number chosen by lawyers. All 4 door jeeps have almost the same number, I think rubis are the exception?. But when you think about it, how come a hardtop and a softop have the same number? or a rubi with plastic bumpers vs. metal bumpers? I think it is because of tires being the weak point. Yeah, they all have different spring numbers but still...

I honestly think, as long as you stay below 1,000 lbs. You are good. But that sticker is there to tell you to take it seriously. And please note, going over the 850lbs for the JLU could technically lead to legal issues in case of an accident.

One thing I can tell you for sure. I have loaded the hell out of my 2 door for short trips a few times. And it felt very solid. My 2 door has a payload of 750lbs. My toyota Camry has over 1,000lbs, and so did my 2013 corolla. I once had the corolla full of people plus some stuff in the back, so about 700lbs. It did NOT feel right, or safe at all.

People add so much weight to their jeeps, armor, winch, bumpers, RTTS, etc... that it becomes excessive, so FCA is probably just watching their backs.
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
And please note, going over the 850lbs for the JLU could technically lead to legal issues in case of an accident.
Take this with an extreme grain of salt, I cannot find one single shred of evidence where the driver of a non-commercial passenger vehicle even had their vehicle weighed after an accident, let alone getting into any legal issues over it, I've looked. I guess it's possible, but it's also possible that the moon could crash into the earth tomorrow.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Take this with an extreme grain of salt, I cannot find one single shred of evidence where the driver of a non-commercial passenger vehicle even had their vehicle weighed after an accident, let alone getting into any legal issues over it, I've looked. I guess it's possible, but it's also possible that the moon could crash into the earth tomorrow.
just covering myself from posting o a public forum. you never know