2020 Jeep JL Lift Kit Suggestions

Abhi820

First Name
Abhinav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sport S
So I’m considering a lift kit for my new Jeep JL sport S. It’s a 2.0L i4 DOHC DI Turbo with 8 speed automatic. Looking to build a weekend warrior as it is my daily driver.

For the lift kits I’ve been suggested a few that I was looking at including AEV, Metal cloak and Rock Krawler. However, the AEV have been out of stock for who knows how long and they don't offer a 3.5 lift option from what I saw. I have been considering the MC 3.5 vs 2.5 lift on the sport and how much flex it will provide and its ride. I have seen a few people on the forums successfully with this setup but would like more input. I’m worried the 35in tires will end up looking small so I wanted to ask others opinion on user experience. Considering Metal Cloak as it's so highly regarded, Is the game changer lift different than the true dual rate lift? What components does one come with that the other doesn't have? Is it cheaper compared to if I were to upgrade from true dual to game changer by getting individual parts from MC? Did you have to change the re-gear for 35s on a sport S?

Also any wheel/tire recommendations with pictures? I’m looking at the 35in Nittos Ridge Grapplers tires and want to run it with 3.5 MC true dual rate lift kit. I don’t want to change the driveline components since 37s would be too much on my sport axle. However, I don’t want 35s to look odd on 3.5 compared to 2.5. Everyone recently I’ve asked they suggested the 3.5 from experience though they are riding in JKs. From what I have read the 3.5in lift ends up like the 2.5in on a rubicon, is there anyone who can confirm this?

What is you current setup and why do you recommend it?
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So I’m considering a lift kit for my new Jeep JL sport S. It’s a 2.0L i4 DOHC DI Turbo with 8 speed automatic. Looking to build a weekend warrior as it is my daily driver.

For the lift kits I’ve been suggested a few that I was looking at including AEV, Metal cloak and Rock Krawler. However, the AEV have been out of stock for who knows how long and they don't offer a 3.5 lift option from what I saw. I have been considering the MC 3.5 vs 2.5 lift on the sport and how much flex it will provide and its ride. I have seen a few people on the forums successfully with this setup but would like more input. I’m worried the 35in tires will end up looking small so I wanted to ask others opinion on user experience. Considering Metal Cloak as it's so highly regarded, Is the game changer lift different than the true dual rate lift? What components does one come with that the other doesn't have? Is it cheaper compared to if I were to upgrade from true dual to game changer by getting individual parts from MC? Did you have to change the re-gear for 35s on a sport S?

Also any wheel/tire recommendations with pictures? I’m looking at the 35in Nittos Ridge Grapplers tires and want to run it with 3.5 MC true dual rate lift kit. I don’t want to change the driveline components since 37s would be too much on my sport axle. However, I don’t want 35s to look odd on 3.5 compared to 2.5. Everyone recently I’ve asked they suggested the 3.5 from experience though they are riding in JKs. From what I have read the 3.5in lift ends up like the 2.5in on a rubicon, is there anyone who can confirm this?

What is you current setup and why do you recommend it?
Buy this:

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-...age-1-suspension-system.html?category_id=4980

You can get it 10% to 15% off from time to time.

Add Fox shocks as per the install notes for model/lengths. I suggest the Fox 2.5's but they might be overkill for you so go 2.0's.

Be happy.

I am running a RK kit and lots of nagging issues on and on and on. I know guys on here love them, and I trust their opinions completely, and can only assume the popularity of RK has led to quality/support issues.

OP
OP
Abhi820

Abhi820

First Name
Abhinav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sport S
Buy this:

https://www.synergymfg.com/synergy-...age-1-suspension-system.html?category_id=4980

You can get it 10% to 15% off from time to time.

Add Fox shocks as per the install notes for model/lengths. I suggest the Fox 2.5's but they might be overkill for you so go 2.0's.

Be happy.

I am running a RK kit and lots of nagging issues on and on and on. I know guys on here love them, and I trust their opinions completely, and can only assume the popularity of RK has led to quality/support issues.
Which RK kit do you have? I have not heard anything but good things so this is news to me. I appreciate your feedback!

Why do you recommend this Synergy lift kit, have you had previous experience with it? How does it compare with with Metal Cloak because it seems to be roughly in the same budget?

Anyone else with suggestions or comments with their experience?

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, welcome to the forum! There are a lot of threads discussing the pros and cons of almost every lift out there right now, including all 3 that you mentioned as well as the synergy so I'd dive into those for more info.

You are in a similar situation as me though, I have a JLUR that is a DD that I also want to wheel on the weekends. I don't have it yet but I've decided to go with the MC 2.5 true dual rate with the rocksport shocks. First, the 2.5 kit is measured from a fully loaded Rubi and that's the amount I'm looking for as the plan is to run 37s. if you put it on a sport, you are going to be getting more than the stated 2.5 inches of lift. Also, MC does point out that the difference in the 2.5 to the 3.5 is the length of the coils, not the shocks. I'm planning on the true dual rate instead of the game changer only because of cost. The parts are the same between the two, the GC however has all 8 control arms whereas the true dual rate has only upper fronts which will allow for adjustments to the caster. I can/probably will add in the other 6 arms later and if I start feeling a bit more crazy, the 6pak shocks depending on how the rocksports work out. Lots of members have sung the praises of the MC lifts and I knew a guy that had a very similar setup on the JK so feeling confident I'll be good with the product.

I can't speak to the other 3 options although I hear they all make a good product. My only concern with the synergy honestly looks like price as it does not include the rear track bar or the shocks. Going with the Fox 2.0s would put me back about 2.8k which is a big jump up (although I would imagine the Fox's outperform the rocksports as a whole).

Whichever way you go, all seems like viable options so good luck picking out what you're looking for.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
First off you don't need or really WANT a 3.5" lift if you're going to run 35's. A nice 2.5" will suffice, that said there are many, many choices. Your goal has been defined as weekend warrior/daily driver. So you want minimal maintenance, good ride, and decent flex. You didn't set a budget though and that would be my next question. The AEV 2.5", OME, JKS, and the one I chose the Clayton Overland would be ones to look at. The Metal Cloak 2.5" would be superb also.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Which RK kit do you have? I have not heard anything but good things so this is news to me. I appreciate your feedback!

Why do you recommend this Synergy lift kit, have you had previous experience with it? How does it compare with with Metal Cloak because it seems to be roughly in the same budget?

Anyone else with suggestions or comments with their experience?
Again, I know a lot of people running RK who have had great luck with them. I have the JLU 2.5 Inch X Factor "No Limits" System - Stage 1

- I had the shocks perpetually leak so replaced them.
- I have rear sway-bar links that perpetually squeak.
- The rod ends started to creak/clunk and support is like crickets. I am running a set of Synergy front lowers (loaned from a buddy as still waiting on shocks to install his lift) while I wait - but if I didn't have a nice buddy with spare arms I'd be shit outta luck.

I do realize it is COVID times so grading on a curve, but the first 2 items were pre-COVID. Neither were resolved but left to linger and me solve it on my own.

I have installed over a dozen lift kits of all sorts of brands and that has led to the Synergy recommendation simply because no issues once installed and all adjusted. A couple of them have more miles on them then I do and zero issues.

I think MC is also a great choice, and do run some MC parts. I've helped install a couple MC lift kits and the parts all fit and perform well. The only downside is they have jam nuts which is some extra maintenance over the Synergy arms and the only reason they are my #2 recommendation behind Synergy.

Hope this helps, and you really can not go wrong with any of the three. As I've said I am having issues with RK but know others who do not, and also know a couple on here have had issues with Synergy while I have not.

Hope this helps, have fun.

PS: Avoid Teraflex and other lesser name lifts. You do get what you pay for.

OP
OP
Abhi820

Abhi820

First Name
Abhinav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sport S
Again, I know a lot of people running RK who have had great luck with them. I have the JLU 2.5 Inch X Factor "No Limits" System - Stage 1

- I had the shocks perpetually leak so replaced them.
- I have rear sway-bar links that perpetually squeak.
- The rod ends started to creak/clunk and support is like crickets. I am running a set of Synergy front lowers (loaned from a buddy as still waiting on shocks to install his lift) while I wait - but if I didn't have a nice buddy with spare arms I'd be shit outta luck.

I do realize it is COVID times so grading on a curve, but the first 2 items were pre-COVID. Neither were resolved but left to linger and me solve it on my own.

I have installed over a dozen lift kits of all sorts of brands and that has led to the Synergy recommendation simply because no issues once installed and all adjusted. A couple of them have more miles on them then I do and zero issues.

I think MC is also a great choice, and do run some MC parts. I've helped install a couple MC lift kits and the parts all fit and perform well. The only downside is they have jam nuts which is some extra maintenance over the Synergy arms and the only reason they are my #2 recommendation behind Synergy.

Hope this helps, and you really can not go wrong with any of the three. As I've said I am having issues with RK but know others who do not, and also know a couple on here have had issues with Synergy while I have not.

Hope this helps, have fun.

PS: Avoid Teraflex and other lesser name lifts. You do get what you pay for.
Thanks! I appreciate your feedback! What kind of wheels and tires are you running if you don’t mind me asking?

OP
OP
Abhi820

Abhi820

First Name
Abhinav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sport S
First off you don't need or really WANT a 3.5" lift if you're going to run 35's. A nice 2.5" will suffice, that said there are many, many choices. Your goal has been defined as weekend warrior/daily driver. So you want minimal maintenance, good ride, and decent flex. You didn't set a budget though and that would be my next question. The AEV 2.5", OME, JKS, and the one I chose the Clayton Overland would be ones to look at. The Metal Cloak 2.5" would be superb also.
That is true a 2.5” lift would definitely fit 35s. However if I get 3.5” lift over the 2.5 does that provide higher ground clearance for the belly of the car? Or does it only increase the space between the wheel well and the tire? I believe the MC cloak 2.5 vs 3.5 has different sized coils. I don’t have skid plates currently and that’s why I am considering the 3.5” lift kit. Most like the MC true dual rate lift kit.

also I don’t know if I will plan to go to 37s in the future tho since it would require a lot of modification for my sport axle. would the resale value be better of 2.5” or 3.5” lift?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Thanks! I appreciate your feedback! What kind of wheels and tires are you running if you don’t mind me asking?
Factory Rubi rims with 35's, and Synergy spacers to make clearance.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That is true a 2.5” lift would definitely fit 35s. However if I get 3.5” lift over the 2.5 does that provide higher ground clearance for the belly of the car? Or does it only increase the space between the wheel well and the tire? I believe the MC cloak 2.5 vs 3.5 has different sized coils. I don’t have skid plates currently and that’s why I am considering the 3.5” lift kit. Most like the MC true dual rate lift kit.

also I don’t know if I will plan to go to 37s in the future tho since it would require a lot of modification for my sport axle. would the resale value be better of 2.5” or 3.5” lift?
The difference between a 2.5 and 3.5 inch lift will not net you one inch of belly clearance. Most would argue a 3.5" lift JL on 35's looks like a roller skate. As for resale value, don't even consider that or you will be disappointed come trade in time.

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have the AEV 2.5" on my JK and achieved 3.5" of lift. A friend put the AEV on his JL and achieved a little over 3". Just FYI.

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
Stay away from Synergy. When I was researching lifts I asked MC and Synergy a bunch of questions. MC got back to me in under 24 hours with great replies and Synergy never returned my email. I re sent the email to Synergy 3 times and waited now well over 2 months and they still have not sent a reply.

Cleoncini

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I am another vote for Metalcloak. I just had the 3.5 Gamechanger and 6paks installed on my JLUR. The drive and ride is amazing, its my daily and I am running 38s. As others have mentioned, if you're wanting 35s definitely don't go 3.5". Once you lift it and see that you can fit 37s... you'll want to go to 37s lol. Metalcloak bases the "Lift Height" off the rubicon model, so you will definitely achieve more than advertised. I will say this about MC. They are in the Sacramento are of CA, they are running on a limited staff trying to produce as much as they can, parts are taking a little longer. That being said, my installer received a leaking 6Pak, contacted MC and had a replacement the next day. The top brands from what I have seen on this forum is MC, RK and Clayton.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Stay away from Synergy. When I was researching lifts I asked MC and Synergy a bunch of questions. MC got back to me in under 24 hours with great replies and Synergy never returned my email. I re sent the email to Synergy 3 times and waited now well over 2 months and they still have not sent a reply.
Strange, as the owner is active on this forum. cc/@PIG

JeepJLU402

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S - V6 8AT - 30/44
Strange, as the owner is active on this forum. cc/@PIG
I would agree that it's very strange as I thought Synergy would have worked perfect for what I was wanting (to much lift = mad wife). But that's what my experience was.
Sponsored