OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Really sorry to read this, man. Unfortunately the dealership may try to BS you and say that the Cree headlamps you installed voided the warranty and make you pay. Things like these are the reason why I intend to keep my 2020 JLUR bone stock until the warranty expires in the next 2.5 years. At the end of the day, dealers are slimy and will look for excuses.

as a rule of thumb I would usually avoid installing any lighting equipment that says “Made in China”, “Made in Taiwan” or “Made in India”. They cut way too many corners for the sake of cost in all three countries. I believe Cree makes almost everything in China.
Yeah I agree. The first time they try to blame me because they saw the car wash coupon I left on the dashboard and said that I may have went to a high pressure car wash that damaged the BCM... I had to confront them in person and told them I didn’t even go through the wash because my car wouldn’t start after I pumped gas. I even told them we can go to the wash right now to show them the code still works. And then they said they found something loose around the BCM allowing water in and that I’m find and it’s under warranty.
Thank you bro, unfortunately bought the extended warranty to 7 years because I trust people to do their job...
Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Yeah I agree. The first time they try to blame me because they saw the car wash coupon I left on the dashboard and said that I may have went to a high pressure car wash that damaged the BCM... I had to confront them in person and told them I didn’t even go through the wash because my car wouldn’t start after I pumped gas. I even told them we can go to the wash right now to show them the code still works. And then they said they found something loose around the BCM allowing water in and that I’m find and it’s under warranty.
Thank you bro, unfortunately bought the extended warranty to 7 years because I trust people to do their job...
Keep all evidence close to you in case you need to go the legal route. Canadian consumer laws are stricter than ours here in USA. That may work in your favour. However it can be very time consuming and may mean you being without a Jeep for a while.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Keep all evidence close to you in case you need to go the legal route. Canadian consumer laws are stricter than ours here in USA. That may work in your favour. However it can be very time consuming and may mean you being without a Jeep for a while.
Thank you.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I dunno, I highly doubt the PCM would have recorded the fact he put non Mopar lights in his Jeep and I highly highly doubt any line mechanic is going to look for something like that. Plenty of these guys are still putting in 6qts of oil in the JLs. If he took his Jeep to a new dealership, told them the it isn't starting they would trace it back to BCM and replace it not troubleshoot it. The fact that it doesn't start doesn't mean you cant have it towed to another dealership.

Just out of curiosity, what is the estimated repair amount?

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I dunno, I highly doubt the PCM would have recorded the fact he put non Mopar lights in his Jeep and I highly highly doubt any line mechanic is going to look for something like that. Plenty of these guys are still putting in 6qts of oil in the JLs. If he took his Jeep to a new dealership, told them the it isn't starting they would trace it back to BCM and replace it not troubleshoot it. The fact that it doesn't start doesn't mean you cant have it towed to another dealership.

$1300. If I bring it to another dealer I’ll spend hundred for the flatbed tow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler

I LOL when you said 6qts hahaha

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Damn, that seems high. I think the module itself costs like 200 and change.

:beer:
Wow I just looked it up and you’re right. It’s $220, wtf why are they charging me $1300. Holy shit....

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Wow I just looked it up and you’re right. It’s $220, wtf why are they charging me $1300. Holy shit....
Told you to take it to your personal mechanic in the one on one messages didn’t I, lol? I’d personally rather pay the $100 for the tow and take the Jeep to a guy I trust. Even if he charges extra (hypothetically), it gives me better peace of mind.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Someone get a poll goin here, 2 for TOW!!

:fist bump:
Agree! Tow it and take it to the personal mechanic that you trust! If you don’t have one, let me know. I can ask my cousin in Brampton for his. He lives near Bovaird and Airport.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
Agree! Tow it and take it to the personal mechanic that you trust! If you don’t have one, let me know. I can ask my cousin in Brampton for his. He lives near Bovaird and Airport.
Hahaha I would love to but I’m afraid something in the future will happen and then they’ll say “you got work done by a non Chrysler dealership so therefore your warranty is waived”

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hahaha I would love to but I’m afraid something in the future will happen and then they’ll say “you got work done by a non Chrysler dealership so therefore your warranty is waived”
You warranty is waived only when a third party product is used for a repair rather than something from FCA/Mopar.

example: say your 2019 Jeep needs a new starter and you take it to your mechanic. If your mechanic buys the replacement starter brand new from either FCA direct or an authorized distributor plus follows their guidelines in the repair then your warranty should not get voided. However if he cuts corners and gets a cheap starter from a junkyard or a no name manufacturer and/or does not follow installation guidelines then your warranty gets cancelled. Most mechanics do not do that as they rely on the manufacturer guidelines for repair work.

also, warranties and recalls are very different. A recall legally binds a dealer to fix the Jeep regardless of whether your warranty is void or not as recalls typically mean that its a serious issue that may create a big safety problem or a huge legal liability to the manufacturer. Void or expired Warranty should not mean that a dealer will not do recall work as they are on the hook for it. If they refuse to work on a government or manufacturer mandated recall then they can get in a lot of trouble with the law and the manufacturer.

at least that is how warranties work in the state of NY. Check what is the Ontario provincial law. I wont be surprised if it is something similar.

Last edited:

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If the BCM has failed multiple time then the BCM is probably not the root cause. Might have a short somewhere that only shorts under the right conditions.

OP
OP
OffDutyPRU

OffDutyPRU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
You warranty is waived only when a third party product is used for a repair rather than something from FCA/Mopar.

example: say your 2019 Jeep needs a new starter and you take it to your mechanic. If your mechanic buys the replacement starter brand new from either FCA direct or an authorized distributor plus follows their guidelines in the repair then your warranty should not get voided. However if he cuts corners and gets a cheap starter from a junkyard or a no name manufacturer and/or does not follow installation guidelines then your warranty gets cancelled. Most mechanics do not do that as they rely on the manufacturer guidelines for repair work.

also, warranties and recalls are very different. A recall legally binds a dealer to fix the Jeep regardless of whether your warranty is void or not as recalls typically mean that its a serious issue that may create a big safety problem or a huge legal liability to the manufacturer. Void or expired Warranty should not mean that a dealer will not do recall work as they are on the hook for it. If they refuse to work on a government or manufacturer mandated recall then they can get in a lot of trouble with the law and the manufacturer.

at least that is how warranties work in the state of NY. Check what is the Ontario provincial law. I wont be surprised if it is something similar.
Amazing thank you. You just educated me
But I’m assuming go to a Chrysler dealership if my mechanic says that the work can be done under warranty
Sponsored