Sponsored

Anyone having issues with clutch engagement and feel?

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Hey Guys,

Just curious if anyone out their are still having issues with clutch engagement and feel? I had the recall done obviously a while ago and even till this day it feel like complete crap. I have had the dealer look at it twice, (same with the steering but thats besides the point) and it is apparently normal.......

Anyone else get a spongy, binding feel accompanied with a squeaking noise in the pedal once everything is up to operating temperature?

I have never had issues like this with any of my other manual vehicles.

Id love alittle feed back.

(Save the "Its a Jeep, get use to it" crap. My 94 Wrangler was brilliant.)

Thanks.
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Not sure what to tell you man, my clutch in my 19 and 20 felt/feel beautiful. My 20 especially feels completely smooth and I have the muscle memory built up to hit the catch point 95% of the time and 5% I get a little clunky shifts.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
When they did the clutch recall--which was really a 4,000 rpm pop the clutch and see if it stalls test (mine stalled, no free clutch parts)--I found out the clutch is actuated hydraulically with brake fluid shared with the braking system. (!!!!!) Sponginess could be air in the lines, just like brakes...squeaks could mean dry pedal linkage.

Good luck!

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
My ā€˜18 manual JLUR feels and shifts great, it just doesnā€™t sound great. I have pedal creak with every shift. Just had it in for recall and mentioned the creak.

I was told by dealer service itā€™s mechanically fine and could either pay for a new clutch (Iā€™m at 40k miles) or turn the radio up! :headbang:

if anyone has a solution for the creaking clutch pedal, please share. It makes me crazy to hear it with each shift.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
My ā€˜18 manual JLUR feels and shifts great, it just doesnā€™t sound great. I have pedal creak with every shift. Just had it in for recall and mentioned the creak.

I was told by dealer service itā€™s mechanically fine and could either pay for a new clutch (Iā€™m at 40k miles) or turn the radio up! :headbang:

if anyone has a solution for the creaking clutch pedal, please share. It makes me crazy to hear it with each shift.
There is another thread here some where about greasing the sleeve in the spring right above your pedal.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah, typically a creak under the dash is in the linkage, nothing hydraulic or to do with the actual clutch itself.

I'd crawl under there and figure out EXACTLY what is creaking and attack it from there. Very different vehicles but I just chased down this issue on a '98 CRV for a friend - I wound up making a new bushing on my lathe and lubing a spring.

Now, if you don't like the FEEL of the clutch and the system is properly bled, I'd go CenterForce

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
My clutch pedal creaks. Kinda feels like it's getting bound up in the linkage or something - never felt that before on any of my other cars.

Going in for the clutch pressure plate recall on Friday. I'll mention it and see what they say.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys! Iā€™ll take a closer look. Just frustrating dealer service wouldnā€™t have done it for me since they heard it and it was in for the clutch recall anyway.

OP
OP
SirMagnus89

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the creaking you are hearing inside the cabin is caused by the clutch assist spring that is on the pedal. there are two plastic bushing pieces that hold the spring together. The two pieces stick to one another and cause a sound, while also adding the feel of it sticking. You need to take that spring out and grease up the fittings.

My sounds and feel is actually coming from the Slave Cylinder itself, (You can hear it from the outside of the vehicle.)

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the creaking you are hearing inside the cabin is caused by the clutch assist spring that is on the pedal. there are two plastic bushing pieces that hold the spring together. The two pieces stick to one another and cause a sound, while also adding the feel of it sticking. You need to take that spring out and grease up the fittings.

My sounds and feel is actually coming from the Slave Cylinder itself, (You can hear it from the outside of the vehicle.)
thank you for this. What grease did you find best in quieting it down long term? Also I assume removing the spring is the procedure I read on this forum about depressing pedal to floor and removing? Re-install is same procedure?

Sponsored

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
Hey Guys,

Just curious if anyone out their are still having issues with clutch engagement and feel? I had the recall done obviously a while ago and even till this day it feel like complete crap. I have had the dealer look at it twice, (same with the steering but thats besides the point) and it is apparently normal.......

Anyone else get a spongy, binding feel accompanied with a squeaking noise in the pedal once everything is up to operating temperature?

I have never had issues like this with any of my other manual vehicles.

Id love alittle feed back.

(Save the "Its a Jeep, get use to it" crap. My 94 Wrangler was brilliant.)

Thanks.
My 2021 is flawless but in full disclosure I have <300 miles thus far. It's WAY better than my '15 Sport I had.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
This has been one of the strangest experiences with a clutch out of all the standards I've driven. It started out as one of the most difficult standards to drive smoothly I've ever owned. Now with about 18k miles on it is probably the smoothest transmission I've driven

GreySportySpice

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JL Sport 6MT, 21' Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had never driven a manual car before my Jeep however I did ride motorcycles a lot so I thought it would be easy to learn. It was very difficult to feel anything on the clutch during engagement and while I learned it fine and the ride was smooth I really wasn't happy.

I sprung for the center force clutch and let me tell you I love it so much. I finally have the feel that was missing on the stock dual plate clutch and I have a bigger flywheel that lets me take off from a stop with less rpm. My only complaint with this setup so far is that it tends to drag a little bit making it difficult to go from neutral to first at a stop. This setup is less smooth but far more satisfying.

Oh and I have a squeak somewhere that I still have to track down...

OP
OP
SirMagnus89

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thank you for this. What grease did you find best in quieting it down long term? Also I assume removing the spring is the procedure I read on this forum about depressing pedal to floor and removing? Re-install is same procedure?
That is correct as far as removal. I actually had mine out and it felt great as far as feel goes.... i did how ever put it back in because the pedal was vibrating and it was sitting about a quarter inch lower then stock.

AS far as grease, I gave up on that. After a bit the grease gets contaminated with dirt and dust and makes it sticky again so.

Long story short, gotta live with the creak i guess? :facepalm:

OP
OP
SirMagnus89

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This has been one of the strangest experiences with a clutch out of all the standards I've driven. It started out as one of the most difficult standards to drive smoothly I've ever owned. Now with about 18k miles on it is probably the smoothest transmission I've driven
The transmission is great, i love the Aisin, the clutch and or clutch parts seem subpar. I have 26k on it now and it is still weird sometimes. It is actually temp dependent on how it acts.

Tempermental haha
Sponsored