Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yep they are calling it the gwn3. Haven't ordered it yet but will probably do so in the next month.
If you buy it, please add to your post on how you like it, how the install went, etc. I've been waiting for this tire carrier as well.

Sponsored

skrubi12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So I have a question for those with the Rusty's unit. If you did drill the holes for the nut insert did you purchase the tool or come up with another way to install them??
I had mine installed by the shop doing my lift. I have used the "tool" to do outserts and they work, but they kinda suck. If you think you'll do more than a handful of nutserts, I'd recommend getting the tool with appropriate tip - much faster and less chance of spinning the nutsert. If I purchase something in the future which requires me to install nutserts, I'll get a real nutsert tool.

sweet88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR 24 VW Tiguan Rline 20+21 Tacoma TRD
I had mine installed by the shop doing my lift. I have used the "tool" to do outserts and they work, but they kinda suck. If you think you'll do more than a handful of nutserts, I'd recommend getting the tool with appropriate tip - much faster and less chance of spinning the nutsert. If I purchase something in the future which requires me to install nutserts, I'll get a real nutsert tool.
I only for see the 4 to finish off the tire carrier install so the tool didn't make much sense to me. I saw a few different ways via internet. Never installed one but not much different than say a concrete wedge anchor in theory.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
@Sting_NC_USA - Question for you regarding your install of the Teraflex Alpha HD Carrier

You mention the following:
With a slight modification, I extended the camera arm an extra inch (trying not to giggle), allowing me a much clearer view of my surroundings, and less inner rim. Note that there's a low-profile, CHMSL mount included.
What did you do to get that extra inch? I'm in a similar situation with my beadlock 37s on the moper reinforced and mopar extended carrier with brake light ring behind tire, and I have a feeling moving to this carrier and performing what you did will help me get a clearer picture, as well as, pull the wheel in closer which I hate with my current setup.

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my LOD Bumper/Tire Carrier w/ 37 x 13.5" Cooper STT Pro mounted up. Backup cam works perfectly, backup sensors work even though they say they don't on dash info screen. They beep if someone is behind me every time, although my info screen (dash) says parking sensors are disabled on startup. Super robust bumper that I've bounced off rock ledges more than once to date. I've added the Jerry can mount, license plate relocate and will be adding trail rack at some point. I've also got two LED cubes ready to mount up but I've got to get the angle grinder out and cut holes in the steel plates first once I get a warm weekend. I will say that the Jerry can LOD recommends (forget the brand) fits perfectly but two other 5 gallon cans that I have do not.

IMG_3233.JPG

IMG_3238.JPG
Which plate relocation bracket is that? I am thinking about the LoD bumper and tire carrier like you have. What do you have to cut with a cutting wheel i thought the lights fit into the cutouts in the bumper?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Sting_NC_USA - Question for you regarding your install of the Teraflex Alpha HD Carrier

You mention the following:

What did you do to get that extra inch? I'm in a similar situation with my beadlock 37s on the moper reinforced and mopar extended carrier with brake light ring behind tire, and I have a feeling moving to this carrier and performing what you did will help me get a clearer picture, as well as, pull the wheel in closer which I hate with my current setup.
I used extended length screws, along with nylon spacers. The spacers are added between the existing camera mount and the Teraflex carrier.

Very simple mod. Just buy spacers that equal the additional length your screws add.

Hope that helps!

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
I used extended length screws, along with nylon spacers. The spacers are added between the existing camera mount and the Teraflex carrier.

Very simple mod. Just buy spacers that equal the additional length your screws add.

Hope that helps!
@Sting_NC_USA when you say screws are you talking the 3 used to hold the camera to the mount or the three studs the tire is going to mount to? if you meant the three screws holding the camera did that cause you to be very close with not having enough to get tire snug on the studs?

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Sting_NC_USA when you say screws are you talking the 3 used to hold the camera to the mount or the three studs the tire is going to mount to? if you meant the three screws holding the camera did that cause you to be very close with not having enough to get tire snug on the studs?
Yes, the three screws holding the camera. Ideally, you want to push the mount out as much as you can before hitting the rim.

With the one inch extensions, I still had some wiggle room to extend further.

kkaz28

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
Hey, trying to find a quick answer to this and figure this thread may be a good place to ask: I’m putting 33s on my 2door sport JL - do I have to modify my spare tire carrier in any way?

mainly concerned about the new tire covering up my 3rd brake light.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
No, you should be
Hey, trying to find a quick answer to this and figure this thread may be a good place to ask: I’m putting 33s on my 2door sport JL - do I have to modify my spare tire carrier in any way?

mainly concerned about the new tire covering up my 3rd brake light.
No, you should be fine.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Yes, the three screws holding the camera. Ideally, you want to push the mount out as much as you can before hitting the rim.

With the one inch extensions, I still had some wiggle room to extend further.
@Sting_NC_USA - I just got my tire mount in and going to tackle this. After receiving it I think these are the three screws you mean you spaced the camera housing with, not the black plate to the mount is that correct? (Three screws in the picture are what I'll space to push the camera out vs. the three screws that will hold the black plate to the carrier.)

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread IMG_3218

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Sting_NC_USA - I just got my tire mount in and going to tackle this. After receiving it I think these are the three screws you mean you spaced the camera housing with, not the black plate to the mount is that correct? (Three screws in the picture are what I'll space to push the camera out vs. the three screws that will hold the black plate to the carrier.)

Jeep Wrangler JL The Tire Carrier Thread IMG_3218
Exactly! Make sure to use Stainless Steel screws and nuts. I didn't and they're starting to rust. Good luck!

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Completed the teraflex alpha HD install today with 37in KO2s and beadlocks and was able to get the tire super tight To the tailgate. Solved all my issues with the backup sensors false positive’ing and provided better view than I had with the full mopar oversized setup and now have enough clearance to get hitch bike rack on.
Sponsored