Sponsored

What to do with OEM fender mount tabs when adding high fender set?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I've seen a few clips of those fender mounts being bent down to snap them off so you won't have those ugly tabs in view w/ new flat fenders added.
Just wondering if there's a way to mount new ones back on if you need to put the factory fenders back on for resale (or the wife hates the new fenders, etc). Do they make aftermarket fender mounts for just this purpose???
TIA :)
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
None that I've seen.

Leave them until the Mrs gives a thumbs up, than snap em off.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
None that I've seen.

Leave them until the Mrs gives a thumbs up, than snap em off.
You think the OEM fenders will stay put w/out those tabs if I need to put them back on to resell down the road??

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You think the OEM fenders will stay put w/out those tabs if I need to put them back on to resell down the road??
It might not be as rigid, but good enough to send it on its way.

The AAL lights arrived pretty quick, but the liners and retention hardware took longer than my patience lasted. I drove for a month with just the pop clips holding the fenders on. I didn't fasten the outer edge of the fenders to the light brackets because I didn't want to drill the fenders. It wasn't until reading a post by Roky about his fenders flapping at speed, that I leaned out and saw mine waving at everyone on the highway. Never popped one clip. And a chopped fender is far more flimsy and catches more air than an unchopped fender. I think it would be fine.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

The AAL lights arrived pretty quick, but the liners and retention hardware took longer than my patience lasted. I drove for a month with just the pop clips holding the fenders on. I didn't fasten the outer edge of the fenders to the light brackets because I didn't want to drill the fenders. It wasn't until reading a post by Roky about his fenders flapping at speed, that I leaned out and saw mine waving at everyone on the highway. Never popped one clip. And a chopped fender is far more flimsy and catches more air than an unchopped fender. I think it would be fine.
Cool Beans, just what I was hoping to hear, but will get the thumbs up from the Mrs before going crazy :)

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Cool Beans, just what I was hoping to hear, but will get the thumbs up from the Mrs before going crazy :)
Orrrr...... you break off the tabs and mount the new fenders and if she says she doesnt like them you can say "great, i already broke off the factory mounting tabs! now i cant put them back on!" :idea:

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Orrrr...... you break off the tabs and mount the new fenders and if she says she doesnt like them you can say "great, i already broke off the factory mounting tabs! now i cant put them back on!" :idea:
lol,
I think I'll save those tabs and if & when I ever need them I can probably fab some sort of angle iron fix to remount them :)

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Do you see any issue with AAL retention hardware causing issues with the sheet metal if the plastic fender catches on a rock or tree?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you see any issue with AAL retention hardware causing issues with the sheet metal if the plastic fender catches on a rock or tree?
Litebrite has folded a couple sets of lights and have partially ripped a front fender off, with no visible damage to the body. I would assume that there would be a higher chance of getting body damage with a fully stock factory fender in the same situation, because of the 2 bolted on mounting points. Also, the split fender has less structural integrity than a fully intact one so it won't be able to transfer as much energy into the body.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Litebrite has folded a couple sets of lights and have partially ripped a front fender off, with no visible damage to the body. I would assume that there would be a higher chance of getting body damage with a fully stock factory fender in the same situation, because of the 2 bolted on mounting points. Also, the split fender has less structural integrity than a fully intact one so it won't be able to transfer as much energy into the body.
Thanks! This has been my main concern with splitting the fenders.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! This has been my main concern with splitting the fenders.
AAL uses specially designed washers that evenly clamp down on the fenders mounting flange, but they're made of a certain plastic blend that will sacrifice themselves before transferring enough force to damage the body flange. The retention hardware just adds enough rigidity to not allow the fenders to flap in the wind at highway speeds. The only flutter i experienced was due to not drilling the 1 hole per side that attaches the outer edge of the fender to the end of the fender brace.
Sponsored