Who needs a Gladiator...

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
...when you can load 12-foot baseboards in your JL?

IMG-20200915-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200915-WA0003.jpg
Do you have armory on your spare as well? Is the backup camera still in the same spot with that wheel since it has no spokes?

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

IMG-20200915-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200915-WA0003.jpg
Hey Dario:

Please know that I appreciate the "cutesy" way that your "Wrangler owner ingenuity" has come up with a method to haul long boards, more than you--I suspect--ever expected this thread to be a discussion on the differing metrics of the Gladiator and Wrangler, from purchase price, to hauling capacity, to cost of ownership, to whatever.

As you must realize, those of us Wrangler owners with roof racks could transport such boards as well. Then again Gladiator owners with hardtops, and say, "MOPAR rain gutter roof rails" and bed racks could probably exceed the safe board length of a Wrangler Unlimited. In fact I've seen Gladiator systems with bed and hard top attachment points.

Nor is this post intended as some lecture on the relative safety of hauling methods on either vehicle.

Clearly, for the kinds of loading you demonstrate, either vehicle can be up to the task. Even without 3rd party gear (e.g. roof racks) the Gladiator's ability to lower the rear gate (at various stop points) might make it better at the task than your ingenious solution.

Gladiator versus Wrangler, versus other vehicles, as Ted @wibornz said so well before me, is about many factors, both practical and emotional, that as I suspect you know, go far beyond what's haulable on the occasional trip to Lowes. :)

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd

IMG-20200915-WA0003.jpg
Oh man... I hope you weren't driving home on a freeway. Put a 2x4 in that bundle and strap it together at the end or you'd be launching broken ends of trim behind you at the first stiff breeze!

Any plans to put those Gladiators in their place when you pick up a half yard of gravel? If so, please post to this thread, I'm subscribed.

OP
OP
LLANERO

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Oh man... I hope you weren't driving home on a freeway. Put a 2x4 in that bundle and strap it together at the end or you'd be launching broken ends of trim behind you at the first stiff breeze!

Any plans to put those Gladiators in their place when you pick up a half yard of gravel? If so, please post to this thread, I'm subscribed.
I've already put 20 bags of thinset

It's amazing how a simple joke can hurt so many feelings LOL

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
nobody needs a Gladiator. People just want one. They are a terrible compromise as a truck and mediocre at best for offloading. So people like me would like a Gladiator, but I realize that for the $65,000 I could have a F250 diesel truck....... Abot 10x the truck that the Gladiator is. And for the same price, a JLUR will be tricked out and way out wheel a Gladiator. So yeah, you have to want a Gladiator because no one really needs one. I do have to admit that my bud Geoff has a cool one.

1600349824232.png
i totally agree with you. at first i would look at one, but got a jl. the main reasons were, 1. the design. it one of those love one thing but hate the other. 2. the size, even tho i would like a jeep truck. just wasnt looking for a 4 door. 2 door would work for me. and he last thing was the price. i could afford one, just cant see spending $65k on one. the other option in getting a f250 or 350 was in mind, but wanted a jeep. now if the gladiator was offered in a gret price, i could see myself in getting one because it cool looking after it modded.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
i totally agree with you. at first i would look at one, but got a jl. the main reasons were, 1. the design. it one of those love one thing but hate the other. 2. the size, even tho i would like a jeep truck. just wasnt looking for a 4 door. 2 door would work for me. and he last thing was the price. i could afford one, just cant see spending $65k on one. the other option in getting a f250 or 350 was in mind, but wanted a jeep. now if the gladiator was offered in a gret price, i could see myself in getting one because it cool looking after it modded.
To me the price is crazy. the pictured Red Rubicon Gladiator was almost $20,000 more than what I paid for my JLUR. The only option that the Gladiator has that my JLUR doesn't have is the safety group, and leather seats.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I had a 2012 F150 FX4 OffRoad SuperCrew (after a YJ and a few Dodge trucks), the wife had a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium (after a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Liberty Ltd). We both have 2018 JLU Sahara’s now. About once a month I need to move something that doesn’t quite work for the JL and I think I need a Gladiator. Then I remind myself that if I want a truck I’ll go back and get a new F150 if I am going to spend that kind of money. This is a Gladiator a local dealer made mods to and it sits on their lot. They usually make mods to Sport models because they said people won’t shell out for the Rubicon with all the additions.
Jeep Wrangler JL Who needs a Gladiator... A4E8A9EE-FFE4-4566-BF2D-7CD3DA2004B1
Jeep Wrangler JL Who needs a Gladiator... 49AAD669-6664-4A5A-8F44-E807C615F62B

Sponsored

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
If FCA made a 2 door Gladiator, or even an extra cab like the Code-X build, I would probably ditch our F-150’s and put a good portion of our employees in them. For farm’s they would be great to get around in and utilize as a work vehicle.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I had a 2012 F150 FX4 OffRoad SuperCrew (after a YJ and a few Dodge trucks), the wife had a 2014 Ford Escape Titanium (after a Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and Liberty Ltd). We both have 2018 JLU Sahara’s now. About once a month I need to move something that doesn’t quite work for the JL and I think I need a Gladiator. Then I remind myself that if I want a truck I’ll go back and get a new F150 if I am going to spend that kind of money. This is a Gladiator a local dealer made mods to and it sits on their lot. They usually make mods to Sport models because they said people won’t shell out for the Rubicon with all the additions.
12 grand for a "custom package" :LOL: and the sad part about this is that someone is going to fall for it and get ripped off.:facepalm: what i do like is what looks like the dealer added more $$$ on the dealer processing fee. :headbang:

dhlevin

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR
I think I sat in that white one before I bought my JLUR.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
I think I sat in that white one before I bought my JLUR.
I took that pic a few weeks ago while waiting on my oil change and tire rotation.