First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
ANOTHER UPDATE:

Background:
Mrs. Jeep got new gear box and software update and it handles great and tight.
I got the new gear box and software update and it was "Meh" and kind of floaty at best AND my power steering pump got very loud where you could hear the whiney noise while driving at slow speeds. Even the guy at the dealership was shocked out how loud it was.

FCA said to go ahead and have the PUMP replaced since that was the only other thing to look at. VOILA!!! It is super quiet now, sounds like my wife's Jeep, and nice and tight. It's almost like the software was overdriving the pump I had or maybe the pump was on it's way out. Who knows but I am happy to say it feels good now.

There is one caveat and I think I see what others are saying about this "notch" they feel. It's not really a notch, people are calling it a notch but then it goes away after the wheel is turned back past that position. What is happening is that if the Jeep is sitting still and there is no movement applied to the wheel the steering pump is not running (since it is hydro electric and not belt driven). When you turn the wheel the pump immediately turns on and you have power steering.
It appears in my Jeep (and I suspect others) there is a very slight delay in the pump engaging and as such you feel this "notch" as you turn the wheel while the pump engages. When you turn the wheel back past this same spot there is no "notch" because the pump is running and everything is smooth. The only time you would feel the "notch" is when in a parking spot or sitting idle for a bit, while driving there is no sensation of this notch, I only felt it in the parking lot.
That being said I will certainly continue to monitor it but I will take this slight delay in the pump engaging over the meh or loose feeling steering any day.
so what your saying is try to change out the steering pump? Cause mine is definitely floaty/loose feeling with new gearbox. It’s better but steering wheel is very light and floaty instead of being tight and heavy.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
so what your saying is try to change out the steering pump? Cause mine is definitely floaty/loose feeling with new gearbox. It’s better but steering wheel is very light and floaty instead of being tight and heavy.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. Did you notice that your pump got louder?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Steering box replacement does not affect alignment. To change caster you need longer LCA - decreases wondering.
In a perfect world it shouldn't affect alignment but w/ the steering parts they're dealing with it may need to be realigned, mine did.

Crawl Away

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - 1998 TJ Sport
I dropped my Rubicon at the dealership last night for the TSB service.
I just received this text from the dealership. Kind of irritated and the picture certainly doesn’t help much. Thoughts?

70ED248E-B5E5-4774-A2FC-6DC156BC1507.jpeg

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I just received this text from the dealership. Kind of irritated and the picture certainly doesn’t help much. Thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 70ED248E-B5E5-4774-A2FC-6DC156BC1507
BULL $HIT.
I have a 3.5" lift on both our Jeeps and both have longer aftermarket sway bar links on them. To my knowledge neither Jeep had them removed for the procedure.
Tell them that the TSB says NOTHING about removing the links being necessary to perform this swap and that if they need remove them it's something they are CHOOSING to do.
BTW... it takes all of 10 mins to remove both links... if that.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

I now see what he is saying that and he is making it harder on himself. If the Jeep is on a lift the tires/axles are allowed to droop and therefore the swaybar will drop out of the way to get the bolts out that hold the box in place. Tell them to put the Jeep on a lift and not do the work on the ground.

Crawl Away

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - 1998 TJ Sport
I think the Jeep is on a lift. It would seem that setting it in the ground or putting in in 4low and disconnecting the electric sway bar would be an option. I protested and was told that they will see what they can do.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Link to TSB 08-074-20: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...b-08-074-20-for-improved-steering-feel.56363/

Update: Just got down with my 10 miles test drive and I’m happy to say that al of the steering issues are GONE!! Super excited to report that.

Wander and deadspot 100% gone in my jeep. No steering box brace only a Steersmarts Yeti HD trac bar. AEV 2.5 lift with 38in Milestars on Mopar Beadlocks

My impressions on video:​

New steering gear parts:

2D107EB2-5FD0-45C9-A127-80C5DB2D32C7.jpeg
0701AC6D-DD15-4287-A454-C7D5C5A4772F.jpeg
Your post helped a lot! (our first service appointment at the selling dealer failed. They refused. I believe the cause is that the test drive was too slow, and too short. It didn't show what we complained about. Yes. We gave the dealer a copy of the tsb with suitable notes. This was resolved with FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care's help. We went to another dealer that they recommended.)

We had the new steering gear installed. Steering is much improved!

We still have some slop/slack on centre.

What's the fix for this? Highway speed the jeep doesn't wander. BUT you can move your hand from 11:00 to 1:00 back and forth and the Jeep doesn't steer at all.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Wow! Tell those techs to take their panties off the next time they come to work. I remove 1 bolt of my endlinks every time i had to "toggle" the synergy brace on/off for my wife's TSB. I've done it 3 times now and it took me all of 10 mins (the endlink bolts). At MOST, they should charge you 0.5hrs. Now, all that being said: it doesn't look like your endlinks interfere at all, so those must be BIG GRANNY PANTIES!! lol Good luck on your experience!

Motorradray

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU MOAB/ 15 Tesla Model S 90D
My dealership's service department(Herb Chambers Jeep of Danvers) ordered the part and it took about a week and a half to show up. Notified me on Tuesday afternoon that the part arrived and scheduled the work to be done the following day. Dropped the jeep off Tuesday night with overnight key drop box and got a call at 11am Wed that it was done. No issues or questions asked. Just performed the TSB as requested. Jeep drives MUCH BETTER now at highway speeds.

Sponsored

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yep, that's what I'm saying. Did you notice that your pump got louder?
not that I noticed just a little whin noise when you turn wheel which was there anyway.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Your post helped a lot! (our first service appointment at the selling dealer failed. They refused. I believe the cause is that the test drive was too slow, and too short. It didn't show what we complained about. Yes. We gave the dealer a copy of the tsb with suitable notes. This was resolved with FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care's help. We went to another dealer that they recommended.)

We had the new steering gear installed. Steering is much improved!

We still have some slop/slack on centre.

What's the fix for this? Highway speed the jeep doesn't wander. BUT you can move your hand from 11:00 to 1:00 back and forth and the Jeep doesn't steer at all.
Yes exactly what I’m experiencing, thinking if the synergy steering brace would help with this or not?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes exactly what I’m experiencing, thinking if the synergy steering brace would help with this or not?
Gang. Hearing this on FB Jeep pages also. MAKE SURE to check torque of the IShaft bolt that was (supposedly) replaced. Mine was loose...

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Gang. Hearing this on FB Jeep pages also. MAKE SURE to check torque of the IShaft bolt that was (supposedly) replaced. Mine was loose...
my our gonna have to be more specific and some pictures would help.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
my our gonna have to be more specific and some pictures would help.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) E541D0F6-68C4-4613-AE2D-F9F5CF0B1E52
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 50BC86F4-C204-48CB-BCC5-E72351079607

If you don’t have the tools to do I would have dealer check again
Sponsored