Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Well... Had a disappointing morning at the dealership.

Got a call from the service manager the end of last week that my new steering gear for the TSB came in and scheduled installation for today. However, during check-in this morning quickly realized that the special order gear had gone "missing"...

After he made several calls to different people in their parts department, he confirmed the gear is nowhere to be found and needs to be reordered. :(

Didn't receive a good explanation of what happened. However, I know these things happen. I'm sure someone else is glad to have a new steering gear on their JL.
Maybe one of their "triple platinum" customers needed it first :(
The ones that trade in their immaculate vehicle for pennies on the dollar and buy the next one at full MSRP every 2 or 3 years. And get every service imaginable during their stay.
Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Got my new steering box but still has play especially when it’s 100degrees outside here in az. Yes it’s better but I’m still getting that loose steering feeling/floaty. It’s just doesn’t seem sturdy to me. Had dealer look at it again and they said it drives fine, I hate when they do that. Soo anyone else here notice still some play and still having to correct wheel while driving? Maybe I’m just being picky but I drove and another one and it felt tighter then mine, like you should be able to feel some resistance when turning wheel to let you know that it’s engaging.
What's your caster and toe set at?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Any chance this turns into a recall?
Sorry if already been discussed, TL;DR.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
What's your caster and toe set at?
Im not sure, I asked dealer to do an alignment and give me the numbers and they refused to do it because it doesn't say to do it on the TSB and they didn't want to spend labor hours as they said when the tech drove it everything checks out and it drives like others. So since tech didnt notice any road issue they wont check alignment, which pisses me off.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Took in today with copy of TSB. Parts on order........now it's a waiting game.

Sponsored

SilverRubi

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Got my new steering box but still has play especially when it’s 100degrees outside here in az. Yes it’s better but I’m still getting that loose steering feeling/floaty. It’s just doesn’t seem sturdy to me. Had dealer look at it again and they said it drives fine, I hate when they do that. Soo anyone else here notice still some play and still having to correct wheel while driving? Maybe I’m just being picky but I drove and another one and it felt tighter then mine, like you should be able to feel some resistance when turning wheel to let you know that it’s engaging.
Mine still has a little play in it. I also continued to have the floaty feel with mine. Had the alignment checked and my caster was way lower than a thought. I have it set to 6.8 and the float wandering feeling is gone.

Harsh

First Name
Harsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Mine still has a little play in it. I also continued to have the floaty feel with mine. Had the alignment checked and my caster was way lower than a thought. I have it set to 6.8 and the float wandering feeling is gone.
I will give an alignment a try but guess will have to pay for it cause the damn dealers suck.

Crawl Away

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - 1998 TJ Sport
I dropped my Rubicon at the dealership last night for the TSB service.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I Just got mine back today, only drove it home. All I can say it’s definitely better! like a different Jeep! Tight, one handed, almost like there is resistance there I’m so used to the loose steering!

on a side note, a guy in my FB group says his is back to loose again after a few weeks with the new box! Said it was great and tight when first done, but now it’s back to the way it was! Anyone else hear anything like this?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Picked mine up today and it feels great. The way steering should feel. No slop in the wheel, no more drifting cause I'm in that dead zone.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering issues cured by installing new Steering gear box! (per TSB 08-074-20) 1602131924121

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I Just got mine back today, only drove it home. All I can say it’s definitely better! like a different Jeep! Tight, one handed, almost like there is resistance there I’m so used to the loose steering!

on a side note, a guy in my FB group says his is back to loose again after a few weeks with the new box! Said it was great and tight when first done, but now it’s back to the way it was! Anyone else hear anything like this?
I've put about 4,000 miles on my new box Julie and haven't noticed any change in that time. Still drives fine.

Later,
Johnny

B&Wpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited
My wrangler was little different, when I pick up after TSB done drove for 15min, it was horrible , loose, notch sound and wondering. I went back to dealer and addressed the symptoms. Tech was trying to figure out and told me gear box was defected. After 3 hrs , I got a call from dealer , so went back to them. I drove again, suddenly all the symptoms gone. Straight, tight, no dead spot. I dont know what they did with gear box. They told me , tight up something .

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
ANOTHER UPDATE:

Background:
Mrs. Jeep got new gear box and software update and it handles great and tight.
I got the new gear box and software update and it was "Meh" and kind of floaty at best AND my power steering pump got very loud where you could hear the whiney noise while driving at slow speeds. Even the guy at the dealership was shocked out how loud it was.

FCA said to go ahead and have the PUMP replaced since that was the only other thing to look at. VOILA!!! It is super quiet now, sounds like my wife's Jeep, and nice and tight. It's almost like the software was overdriving the pump I had or maybe the pump was on it's way out. Who knows but I am happy to say it feels good now.

There is one caveat and I think I see what others are saying about this "notch" they feel. It's not really a notch, people are calling it a notch but then it goes away after the wheel is turned back past that position. What is happening is that if the Jeep is sitting still and there is no movement applied to the wheel the steering pump is not running (since it is hydro electric and not belt driven). When you turn the wheel the pump immediately turns on and you have power steering.
It appears in my Jeep (and I suspect others) there is a very slight delay in the pump engaging and as such you feel this "notch" as you turn the wheel while the pump engages. When you turn the wheel back past this same spot there is no "notch" because the pump is running and everything is smooth. The only time you would feel the "notch" is when in a parking spot or sitting idle for a bit, while driving there is no sensation of this notch, I only felt it in the parking lot.
That being said I will certainly continue to monitor it but I will take this slight delay in the pump engaging over the meh or loose feeling steering any day.