Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
It wouldn't play for me on my laptop. It did play on my phone.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
ANOTHER UPDATE:

Background:
Mrs. Jeep got new gear box and software update and it handles great and tight.
I got the new gear box and software update and it was "Meh" and kind of floaty at best AND my power steering pump got very loud where you could hear the whiney noise while driving at slow speeds. Even the guy at the dealership was shocked out how loud it was.

FCA said to go ahead and have the PUMP replaced since that was the only other thing to look at. VOILA!!! It is super quiet now, sounds like my wife's Jeep, and nice and tight. It's almost like the software was overdriving the pump I had or maybe the pump was on it's way out. Who knows but I am happy to say it feels good now.

There is one caveat and I think I see what others are saying about this "notch" they feel. It's not really a notch, people are calling it a notch but then it goes away after the wheel is turned back past that position. What is happening is that if the Jeep is sitting still and there is no movement applied to the wheel the steering pump is not running (since it is hydro electric and not belt driven). When you turn the wheel the pump immediately turns on and you have power steering.
It appears in my Jeep (and I suspect others) there is a very slight delay in the pump engaging and as such you feel this "notch" as you turn the wheel while the pump engages. When you turn the wheel back past this same spot there is no "notch" because the pump is running and everything is smooth. The only time you would feel the "notch" is when in a parking spot or sitting idle for a bit, while driving there is no sensation of this notch, I only felt it in the parking lot.
That being said I will certainly continue to monitor it but I will take this slight delay in the pump engaging over the meh or loose feeling steering any day.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I know when I jacked up the front wheels or turn when I’m not moving there is no “notchiness”. Don’t know if that matter

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know when I jacked up the front wheels or turn when I’m not moving there is no “notchiness”. Don’t know if that matter
Right, if the engine is off and you have the front jacked up you could easily turn the wheel. I'm referring to when the engine is running which means the pump would be running.

Last edited:

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Right, if teh engine is off and you have teh front jacked up you could easily turn the wheel. I'm referring to when the engine is running which means the pump would be running.
I've done both engine on and off. I only get notchiness if Im moving forward. Still with engine on or off, on jack or not. No notchiness. If im moving I have notchiness. Im not saying it is or isnt pump. Just trying to give info so people smarter than me can figure it out

Also as per my video should the steering shaft rotate a little bit with the engine off?

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've done both engine on and off. I only get notchiness if Im moving forward. Still with engine on or off, on jack or not. No notchiness. If im moving I have notchiness. Im not saying it is or isnt pump. Just trying to give info so people smarter than me can figure it out

Also as per my video should the steering shaft rotate a little bit with the engine off?
Yeah, even with the engine off and you turn your wheel that shaft is going to move a little bit.

Sponsored

nashvillen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
New guy in this neck of the woods. I have a 2018 JLU Sport S that has been drifting to the right so much so, I have to keep some left steer in the wheel all the time to keep it straight on the road. I saw the most recent TSB and pointed this out to my dealership. They blamed it on my Rock Krawler lift and Discoverer STT Pros (315/70R17) and wouldn't perform the repair. They also did an unnecessary and un-asked for alignment. Three weeks later and it is still doing the same. I have another appointment on Monday for them to look at it again. Is there some other higher authority I can appeal this issue to?

Also, since I have bought it in April of 2019 when the temps are below 50F and the vehicle is cold it will have a very stiff steering response when turning left at 30-40 MPH. So much so, I have to turn very hard against it to just stay on the road in the curve. I am hoping the steering/electrical TSB takes care of that, also. I know it is there and it happens and can push through it with my Armstrong brand steering, but I fear if one of my family is driving it they may not.

This has been an complained about issue to my dealership for over a year now. Again, being able to appeal to a higher authority than my local dealer would be great. Maybe light a fire under them.

Thanks for listening.

Mike Curtis,
Christiana, TN

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
New guy in this neck of the woods. I have a 2018 JLU Sport S that has been drifting to the right so much so, I have to keep some left steer in the wheel all the time to keep it straight on the road. I saw the most recent TSB and pointed this out to my dealership. They blamed it on my Rock Krawler lift and Discoverer STT Pros (315/70R17) and wouldn't perform the repair. They also did an unnecessary and un-asked for alignment. Three weeks later and it is still doing the same. I have another appointment on Monday for them to look at it again. Is there some other higher authority I can appeal this issue to?

Also, since I have bought it in April of 2019 when the temps are below 50F and the vehicle is cold it will have a very stiff steering response when turning left at 30-40 MPH. So much so, I have to turn very hard against it to just stay on the road in the curve. I am hoping the steering/electrical TSB takes care of that, also. I know it is there and it happens and can push through it with my Armstrong brand steering, but I fear if one of my family is driving it they may not.

This has been an complained about issue to my dealership for over a year now. Again, being able to appeal to a higher authority than my local dealer would be great. Maybe light a fire under them.

Thanks for listening.

Mike Curtis,
Christiana, TN
Welcome
Send a PM to @JeepCares on here.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
Does someone have a detailed photo / video of the bolts and access to them to check the torque specs? can't seem to find it anywhere.
Sponsored