Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That's exactly how loud mine is and it sounds the same. It was not that loud before the new box and software update. As I type this is it actually at the dealership having a new PUMP installed to see if it gets quieter. It almost sounds like the software is over-driving the the pump now.
My wife's Jeep did not get noticeably louder with the new gear box and software update.

Do you know if your entire system was reflashed because you had the old 5SY sales code OR was your software just updated because you already had the 70F sales code.
I really wouldnā€™t know as I purchased the vehicle only two weeks ago and it had the new steel steering box from the factory. Itā€™s a 2021 JLUR with less than 200 miles on it. Iā€™ve been hearing the noise since day two of ownership so Iā€™m sure it was like this from the factory. Iā€™m curious to see if the new steering pump helps your Jeep!

Approximately how many seconds does the whining noise stop after you stop moving the steering wheel?
Some people have been saying it stops after 10 seconds of no steering movement but I must say it seems shorter than that. I would say the noise disappears after around 5 seconds. And it immediately comes back with any sort of steering, even if the wheel is only turned a few degrees. Iā€™ll be sure to time it next time Iā€™m in the car!
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Not sure, but since it is connected directly to the steering box, it could of been put in a bind and damaged.The mechanic should be able to trace the source by feeling different components while someone is moving the steering wheel, and check the drag link, steering box, steering shaft, steering wheel itself, etc. How many miles are on your JL?
Mine also has a notch and a bigger dead spot on the hwy. Waiting on dealer to get back to me after a star case was opened on Friday.

Firefighter-rn

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon, 2012 Wrangler Freedom, 2007 GMC Sierra Diesel
Dropped mine off at the dealer to have it checked, Left the TSB on the seat but did not mention it. They called me about an hour later and said they ordered the parts. They told me they were 3 months out! Maybe they will get in sooner.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
The new box got put in today after a couple of scheduling snafus. So, mine wasn't horrible before, but there was a good 1" or so of vague steering driving in a straight line (dead spot) and a tendency to pull a bit to the left or right (mostly right), where I would regularly be driving with the wheel turned slightly left or right to keep it tracking straight.

With the new box - steering is very light in the middle (where I had a dead spot) and noticeably stiffer when turning hard left or right. It returns to center just fine and tracks straight. So, even though the center is a lot lighter than I would like, it does steer as expected with no dead spot. I can wiggle the steering wheel when driving straight and the Jeep wiggles. It just has very little steering feel in the middle... there is still some, but it's super light. Easy to control now though.

Edit: there must've been air in the lines or the computer was calibrating on my initial drive from the dealership to work. On the 30 minute drive home from work, mostly at highway speeds, the lighter feel in the center was gone. It had nice stiff steering feel throughout the entire range with only the smallest bit of play dead center (maybe 1/4"), nothing that would impact steering. I drove home with one hand on the wheel the whole time, straight as an arrow. I couldn't do that before.

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
My steering stabilizer (Stock) is squeaking, and the dealer is calling it "dead". They have ordered a new one for me. Is this responsible for the return to center function? If not, what can I expect for return to center...should a dead stop return to center, or is it while rolling out of a turn that it should auto center?

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My steering stabilizer (Stock) is squeaking, and the dealer is calling it "dead". They have ordered a new one for me. Is this responsible for the return to center function? If not, what can I expect for return to center...should a dead stop return to center, or is it while rolling out of a turn that it should auto center?
Caster is what keeps your tires rolling straight, since you have two Jeeps I will assume it's the Rubicon that's having more issues w/ this as the caster is lower on them.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Caster is what keeps your tires rolling straight, since you have two Jeeps I will assume it's the Rubicon that's having more issues w/ this as the caster is lower on them.
Yes, its the rubicon.

So for return to center testint, this would be while driving, and the vehicles ability to return to a straigtesting,

I also have an motorhome that has an electric steering (comfort drive) that while parked will return to center, and I wanted to verify this is not expected in the jeep.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
@californiajeeping @mgroeger
Dealer just called about my star case where the new box made the dead spot bigger and jeep now pulls to the left. They said FCA wants me to pay $125 to get 37" tire size calibrated in the system by the dealer and then they want to reflash the software.(I had unmarried my tazer prior to dropping it off) How is that going to fix a bigger dead spot and a pull to the left that wasn't present before they put in the new box? We confirmed the jeep is in alignment and caster is at 6.1 & 6.3. I have a 2018 6 speed manual....how is the dealer calibrating tire size going to do anything other than adjust the speedometer like my tazer does? Feels like this is a huge waste of time and $. I want my old aluminum box back.:headbang:

akneppers

First Name
Andrew Knepper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I got the TSB completed and noticed that I definitely got a notchy feeling steering. My fluid a little above the cold line when I checked after it sat all night. I tried to turn the wheel from lock to lock to bleed out air. But if i turn the wheel slowly while not moving I can feel the electric power steering notch through what feel like detents.

So had it back to the dealer for the 4th time and what was originally a noted issue has now been classified as being a "Normal Characteristic of the Vehicle". Had the executive team and the Area Service Manager look at it and said they tested 2 and had the same problem so its a "Normal Characteristic".

I jumped in a 2021 Rubicon with the new gearbox and it was completely smooth. But its their word over mine.

The executive team has said that hopefully more people with this issue go in and try to get it fixed that it flags FCA to take action.

Has anyone else had better luck?

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Is Realignment needed with this TSB? my dealer said they have to do an alignment after installing the new box.
My dealer said they will have to do a realignment. That makes sense as the pitman arm and drag link joint will have to married up to the steering box.

Sponsored

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
So my Jeep has been at Tuttle Jeep Irvine since September 23. I am missing it terribly. Anyway, it was in for my window. They ordered a part for it that was just installed yesterday.

So now my service advisor told me he got an update from the service manager and they will keep it until my new steering gear box arrives next week. I donā€™t know why mine is arriving so quickly since I just requested one when I dropped it off on the 23rd but I read somewhere around here that steering boxes for 2 doors may be easier to get which makes sense, Idk. They gave me a rental in the meantime, my service advisor assured me that I would not need to pay for it.

Last edited:

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I got mine back today. (took it in yesterday morning, and in the evening they called and said rather than rush it, they would prefer I leave it another day. I said "sure"). The finished work order that they provided me listed all the parts replacements and straightening the steering wheel and a Flash. It was also thoroughly washed. :)
I drove it home and the dead spot is gone, or at least minimized enough that I can't tell it's there. When I got home I crawled underneath and it's a shiny new black steel steering gear with new bolts. :like:

Justhiller

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU ā€˜19
Finally had the TSB done today and the jeep drives so much better. Steering is a lot tighter and the dead spot is gone. It actually will stay in a straight line now without constant corrections. Big thankyou to @JeepCares for helping get my dealer to order the correct parts.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thanks so much for the advice guys!
I am planning on getting the Mopar 2ā€ Lift, will this come with those same Mopar control arms? And will they have the same effect to my caster since the car will sit even higher by 2-3 inches?

And as many others have said, my tires also came from the factory at around 41 psi cold and I have to admit, I havenā€™t yet deflated them to 35. Will do that today!
The caster on both my JL Rubicons was 4.7*. The Mopar LCAs got the caster to 6* on my ā€˜19. I went with adjustable LCAs on my ā€˜20 and got the caster to around 7* and am very happy with it. Both Jeeps were not lifted (yet on my ā€˜20 :)).