First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4xe Rubicon
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Half doors will never happen for the same reason a 2-door Gladiator will never happen. People think they want it until they have it and then the realize how useless it is. First trip through McD's having to unzip the plastic window that you can't see through anyhow because it's scratched all to hell and faded, it'll be a "nope, this isn't cool". If you want open air just take the damned door off.
It's all about where you live, i would run the half doors with no uppers for 8-9 months of the year. They should make them and sell them as a Mopar aftermarket option, sell them for $800 a pair and they will kill it imo.
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Half doors will never happen for the same reason a 2-door Gladiator will never happen. People think they want it until they have it and then the realize how useless it is. First trip through McD's having to unzip the plastic window that you can't see through anyhow because it's scratched all to hell and faded, it'll be a "nope, this isn't cool". If you want open air just take the damned door off.
I’ve had half doors on 3 out of my 5 Wranglers. I wouldn’t hesitate to have them again given the option. Love’em

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'd wager that proper half doors for the JL will be something that only the aftermarket will provide. I'm happy for Mopar to win this bet, but that's unlikely.

As for the aesthetics and/or utility of half doors and soft windows: If you don't like them, don't buy them. More to the point, don't project your rejection of half doors on those of us that like them, and/or have actually owned them on other Wranglers.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
So how did the extra weight of the 4xe go over off road?

Joltes

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon, 1969 VW Beetle
Vehicle Showcase
@TXRubicon Did you get any feeling as to if they will make the 4xe in a 2 door model eventually?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
But let's be realistic, half doors are very impractical.
Do you think people will be forced to buy half doors? After that, half doors aren't worse than sports cars... actually they don't take a whole parking spot for times when you need to switch to full doors.

Jeep is in the business of making profit, not just making a niche market happy.
Uhh you have to read that last part out loud... and slow. You could say that about Toyota and the FJ Cruiser but Jeep is definitely in to making profits in a niche market.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Do you think people will be forced to buy half doors? After that, half doors aren't worse than sports cars... actually they don't take a whole parking spot for times when you need to switch to full doors.

Uhh you have to read that last part out loud... and slow. You could say that about Toyota and the FJ Cruiser but Jeep is definitely in to making profits in a niche market.
It isn't just about "let's see if we sell them". There has to be R&D to make a product that would generate profit, something good enough that will sell and generate $$$. All that R&D cost a lot of money that they would have to recover, plus it is effort that could be spent somewhere else.

The FJ cruiser was a failure in the american market, they could not take sales from wranglers. The vast majority of jeep wrangler owners are not in this forum, do not take their jeep off road, do not modify their jeeps, and do not even know half doors are a thing. If half doors would actually generate profit for mopar, they would already be out and they aren't. The reality is they would be absurdly expensive and impractical for most owners. How many people would seriously buy half doors? Mopar's "niche" market is the off-roading community with their 2in lift for example, half doors will not sell nearly as much as the 2 inch lift, because they are so impractical. And what are most owners going to do with their already expensive full doors?

Jeep is trying to appeal to the general population more than ever before. They are barely selling the 2 door compared to the 4 door, and their new 4xe wont even come with 2 doors. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next generation the 2 door is gone. half doors? well....

Last edited:

Sponsored

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Halfdoors = when offroading in dusty/wet/cold conditions when going doorless isn't an option, makes it easier for me to stick my head/upper body out the window and eye the trail in front and to the side of me. When I'm using full doors, I have to do a yoga pose to do the same - that lower door IMO does make a big difference in allowing me to see a little more of the trail since FCA waited too long to make front facing cameras an option for the Rubicons. I'll gladly pay $$ for some sweet half doors.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
It isn't just about "let's see if we sell them". There has to be R&D to make a product that would generate profit, something good enough that will sell and generate $$$. All that R&D cost a lot of money that they would have to recover, plus it is effort that could be spent somewhere else.

The FJ cruiser was a failure in the american market, they could not take sales from wranglers. The vast majority of jeep wrangler owners are not in this forum, do not take their jeep off road, do not modify their jeeps, and do not even know half doors are a thing. If half doors would actually generate profit for mopar, they would already be out and they aren't. The reality is they would be absurdly expensive and impractical for most owners. How many people would seriously buy half doors? Mopar's "niche" market is the off-roading community with their 2in lift for example, half doors will not sell nearly as much as the 2 inch lift, because they are so impractical. And what are most owners going to do with their already expensive full doors?

Jeep is trying to appeal to the general population more than ever before. They are barely selling the 2 door compared to the 4 door, and their new 4xe wont even come with 2 doors. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next generation the 2 door is gone. half doors? well....
Not for a minute I'd argue that FCA aren't interested in taking people's money but your everyday marketing theories don't fit with the Wrangler in particular.

Jeep was riding on the JK's coat tails when the JL was designed so they didn't try hard and we could sense they wanted the Wrangler to be softer around the edges. But with the Bronco swearing in as the number 1 enemy, do you really think Jeep's aims are still to soften up the Wrangler?

What you're saying is just what happened with Land Rover when they came up with the new Defender... not sure what British clowns looks like but you'd sure find out if you open the door at a Land Rover board meeting room.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
doorless on public roads is like wearing only speedos on a 2 hour bus ride to a water park. Logical but creepy.
This is one of the worst takes I've ever seen on this board.

Our doors are off 6 months out of the year and the other 6 months, we wish it was warm and dry enough to have the doors off. Probably 75% of the Wranglers in our city are rolling without doors in the summer.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I've "daily-ed" regular cab trucks for years now - I'd totally rock a 2 door Gladiator but I understand I'm in the minority. I'm just thankful *most* manufacturers still offer regular cabs at all, even if it is primarily fullsizes like F150s and Silverados.

A "WT" version of a regular cab Gladiator would be awesome - give me manual trans, manual windows, manual mirrors, rubber floor, vinyl seats....I'd be in heaven for a parts runner (but I do want a/c which is pretty much standard on everything these days anyhow)
Sponsored