Sponsored

4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy. 3 more badge trails done.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So over the holiday weekend, things fell in place and we loaded up and headed from Michigan to Virginia, North Carolina and West Virgina so get three badge trails. We camped the whole time and had a blast. One of the normal cast of characters did not go with us as he had surgery recently and was not healed up yet. He is good now, but the Punk'N Jeep was absent.

So the cast of Character are my white JLUR with the 1941 on the hood.
Amanda's white JLUR
Phil's Stringray Grey JLUR
and Gary's BLue JLUR..... this was his honeymoon also. So you know his new wife is cool, because the conversation had to go like this: "Hey Ted is Jeeping and camping out of state, lets go and where there is no potties, and not shower for days, get dirty and spend 12 or so hours a day in the Jeep for 5 days straight. At least the food will be good." Then she must of said: "Fuck YEAH, lets do it."

So the first day was a lot of driving as there is just no real good way to get to the George Washington National Forest in Virginia from Michigan. We got there set up camp, had dinner, and then did some night wheeling up to the Fire Lookout Tower.

So we start in the dark
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599650708125

Phil has the fancy lights to set up camp to
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599650812365

As does his daughter Amanda. More on Amanda... soon.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599650878031

People, I hate them at times.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599651179489

The tower was a little bit of a hike in the dark, but I have good flashlights.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599651260354

We had a good view of the local town from the tower and got to see the night sky.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599651312444

The moon was kicking it behind some clouds.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599651838676

The camp sites in the George Washington National forest were very nice and clean......and free. The best kind.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599652089309

We dove all the way here to run the Peter's Mill Run badge trail. The trail was pretty, but no challenge. It was like a smooth dirt road. We did not even air down. The trail is rated as a 2-4 level trail. It can be driven in 2wd at a good clip.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599652320198

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599652386870

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599652439144

At POV shot. I really need to mount my radio somewhere. The throw up on the dash is getting old.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599652537016

Have I said that I love have a Bestop Sunrider yet. I have no affiliation with Bestop, just love the sunrider and would buy it again. I flipped it back so I could snag this shot.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599652737016

My adventure girl, Carla taking in the sights. We are also coming up on our 31st year wedding anniversary. She rocks. She says things like, put 40s on the Jeep, maybe we should do a hellcat swap.....
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599652891725

This was about the hardest spot. It was a slgiht down hill or in our case, we are headed back so a slight up hill.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599653036890

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599653192391

We went back up to the fire tower during the day after finishing the trail. I noticed that Brittney was put on notice.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599653303608

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599653362499

So I would not drive ten plus hours again to run this trail. The camping was awesome the trail.....well it was just okay. No real challenge, but I did get the badge. If you have a stock Renegade, or a stock Subaru, you can easily run this trail.

Then we were off to the Uwharrie National Forest in North Carolina. So there is more to come.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Yup we were there a couple days.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
After a long drive, we arrived at the Uwharrie National forest. We ran the Dickey Bell badge trail. This had one harder rock climb, but with good spotting, none of the JLURs even spun a tire. While the obstacle looked a little challenging, It was easily navigated.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599739172296

The newley wedds.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599739244332

The first obstacle. Not really sure how it earned a 6-8 for a trail rating.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599739368408

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599739480721

While the Rubicon does have a small tank, The real reason the JLUR is named Tiny Tank is because the passengers have to stop all the time. I think we had to stop about every 100 or so miles so Gary or Angela could empty their tank while traveling.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599739629315

The young man filming made one of the best Youtube videos I have seen for Jeeping of our trip. He has an eye and talent behind the lens and in the editing room. I will post the video at the end.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599739730343

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599739860613

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599739908086

My son is driving in this photo. He is state side for about 6 months before he is gone again. Had to see him and get him and his wife out wheeling.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740010001

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740068677

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740149315

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740208753

Dinner was steaks, with my son cooking. As a dad, there is not many things better than hanging with my responsible self sufficient son while we go Jeeping and then he cooks dinner.....

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740368875

We were treated to a great sky for dinner and the end to a perfect doy of Jeeping.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740456944

Day two, we ran the Daniel trail. This was a more challenging trail than the badge trail. This had some great obstacle and one could easily damage and or flip their Jeep upside down on this trail.
Gary making the first climb. The Jeepers in the back ground let us pass and they backed off the obstacle as they were having a hard time with it. All of us were aired down to 8 psi in the tires and we climbed right up it with out spinning a tire.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740683274

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740723335

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740769557

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740826392

We had to leave the trail as Phil's JLUR was having charging issues. I swapped out a battery from my camper so see if the battery was bad, It was not. We were able to get the Stingray grey JLUR to a local Outpost and get it flat towed to a dealer in Fayetteville NC to get it fixed. This was on Saturday. The whole situation to get it towed was a cluster fuck, Jeep roadside assistant, and when you push the assist button on the JLUR was a mess. The first tow truck company we called wanted $700 dollars to tow the JLUR. Phil has State Farm for insurance, but hey COVID so everyone works remote and that was fucked up also. The alternator went bad, and no one could get one until Wednesday. We drove an hour to a Harbor Freight and bought a tow bar, that would not work with his front bumper, State Farm finally came through and after 4 hours a flat bed wrecker took the JLUR away. Phil ended up staying at my son's home and is heading home today after five days of waiting. Covid, and the holiday weekend was the perfect storm for fucking up an easy repair.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 118785265_10218156086479809_7491117838140953718_o

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599740965779

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599741007650

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599741915131

The next day was a traveling day, Gary with the Blue Jeep headed home, Phil's Jeep was at the dealership, so the two remaining JLURs headed to Bearwallow trail in West Virginia.

I have wheeled Bearwallow many times on ATVs back in the early to mid 2000s. I used to take up to 20 people at a time to ride ATVs in Windrock, the Hatfield & McCoy trail system and over in Kentucky. So I kind of knew what we were getting into.

Bearwallow is a super easy trail system. While I did not do any of the Extreme Black trail, I could have. The problem is the Extreme Black trails get so little traffic on them, they are all over grown and it is not worth it to me to pinstripe the Jeep. With that said, the moderate and difficult trails, I could have done in 2wd. I think they difficult trails were marked that way because of some steep climbs and descents. Yet still could have done them in 2wd. The gem is the trail system is very scenic and beautiful.

We only spent about 3 hours on the trail system as we still wanted to get back to Michigan on Monday. So we hit the trail about 8 am and came back to camp and aired up and headed home. Well enough of the chit chat, Here is the tour of Bearwallow.

We woke up to a foggy morning.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599742670108

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599743990747

This is a moderate trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599744050850

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599744097389

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599744303854

Yes, this is a black trail rated as difficult.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599744366299

Jeep peeking around the corner in the mirror. lol
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599744517378

This is way the majority of the trails looked like. Very smooth, rock free. This is a moderate trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599744659471

This is our drone pilot. His video of the this adventure is a must watch

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 JLURs wheel in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia....Kind of... Picture heavy.  3 more badge trails done. 1599744808870

A must watch.

Overall a great tirp. Three more badges on the way for a total of 29 in just over a year. I will probably get three or four more before the end of the year.

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
:clap: :like: Nice.

But, screwing up an easy repair is my job. How long will we let covid keep me out of work.:angry:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Yup we were there a couple days.
I told Kimberly last night that Phil sat for 5 days just 1 hour away in Fayettenam and we could have gone to visit him. Bummer.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
:clap: :like: Nice.

But, screwing up an easy repair is my job. How long will we let covid keep me out of work.:angry:
Luck for Phil, he works remote and had all of his work stuff with him. He has one of those jobs that are hard to escape from.

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Virginia is my stomping grounds! Man, too bad you couldn't see some of the other trails Virginia has to offer. We don't have a ton, but there are a few others that are more challenging and fun beyond Peter's Mill. Nice pictures nonetheless!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Virginia is my stomping grounds! Man, too bad you couldn't see some of the other trails Virginia has to offer. We don't have a ton, but there are a few others that are more challenging and fun beyond Peter's Mill. Nice pictures nonetheless!
Virginia is nice because there is more than just trails to offer. I like history and museums too. Old small towns to explore. Virginia is a nice state.

Sponsored

MKC JL

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU ,2019 Cherokee Limited
Virginia is nice because there is more than just trails to offer. I like history and museums too. Old small towns to explore. Virginia is a nice state.
Wow you were only about 10 -15 minutes from me! Glad you had a good trip!!

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If you enjoy American history, Virginia is the place for you. It drips historical significance. What's amazing being in northern Virginia, there is so much history hidden in plain sight that its incredibly easy to not even see it!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
@wibornz, did any of y’all make it up the ledge on the front side of Daniel in Uwharrie?
Yes, I thought it was easy. The four JLURs that I spotted through there never spun a tire.