First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Try #2

Can anyone who has had the steering TSB done confirm that the steering pump makes a noise (thus is active) 10 seconds or so after there is no longer steering wheel movements while in park with the engine is on? Or does the steering pump noise stop after 1 - 3 seconds? Someone reported that it should be 10 seconds if the software was updated correctly.
TSB completed and to be honest I hear no change in power steering noise. I can’t really tell you when it quits running.
Sponsored

Rubidouxit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 White JLUR
From what I've read, I'm under the assumption that TSB 08-074-20 is only a supposed cure for loose, wandering, and play in the steering? Does this have nothing to do for JL's that have the steering lockup when going around a curve in sub freezing temps such as mine has experienced? I've read about 10 pages of this thread but really don't have the time to read the other 89.;) Thanks!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Try #2

Can anyone who has had the steering TSB done confirm that the steering pump makes a noise (thus is active) 10 seconds or so after there is no longer steering wheel movements while in park with the engine is on? Or does the steering pump noise stop after 1 - 3 seconds? Someone reported that it should be 10 seconds if the software was updated correctly.
Yes, this is the case on both our Jeeps that have the new pump with the new software. If you don't have the new software update it will not run the pump longer. I know this because mine did right away and my wife's didn't so I took it back to the dealer and it turns out the software had not been updated. After the update it runs for about 10 seconds longer.
The problem with mine is the pump got WAY louder so now they are going to replace the pump. Also on the wife's Jeep the steering is great, tight, planted. Mine is more numb, wish I would have left mine alone.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Does this still apply to 2020 models? Mine wanders a bit but heck, I have been driving a 2002 TJ Rustomatic for years. The JL does not wander that bad.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yes, this is the case on both our Jeeps that have the new pump with the new software. If you don't have the new software update it will not run the pump longer. I know this because mine did right away and my wife's didn't so I took it back to the dealer and it turns out the software had not been updated. After the update it runs for about 10 seconds longer.
The problem with mine is the pump got WAY louder so now they are going to replace the pump. Also on the wife's Jeep the steering is great, tight, planted. Mine is more numb, wish I would have left mine alone.
I went to two different dealers. Both say the software is up to date yet my steering pump noise stops after 2 or 3 seconds when I have it in park, engine on, and stop moving the steering wheel. Sales code 70f and the EPS software update are supposedly applied. Any ideas, besides a 3rd dealer?

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does this still apply to 2020 models? Mine wanders a bit but heck, I have been driving a 2002 TJ Rustomatic for years. The JL does not wander that bad.
It applies to all JLs with steering issues and the aluminum steering box. The new steering box is cast iron / black. 2020s have the aluminum steering box.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I went to two different dealers. Both say the software is up to date yet my steering pump noise stops after 2 or 3 seconds when I have it in park, engine on, and stop moving the steering wheel. Sales code 70f and the EPS software update are supposedly applied. Any ideas?
Honestly... who knows. There are such wildly different results for this new box it's unreal.

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
I went to two different dealers. Both say the software is up to date yet my steering pump noise stops after 2 or 3 seconds when I have it in park, engine on, and stop moving the steering wheel. Sales code 70f and the EPS software update are supposedly applied. Any ideas, besides a 3rd dealer?
I can only tell if the steering pump is on when I am parked, turning the wheel and holding it turned. See the video I posted. The pump will run constantly while I’m holding the wheel turned but when I let go it just stops. There are still air bubbles coming out of my steering fluid tank when I make full turns left and right. I’m not sure if it’s normal. I’ve made many full left/right turns to try and get all the air out, but to no avail.

My steering wheel is very easy to turn. I was hoping for a tighter feel. I still believe there is a dead spot, and I still stand by what I said about the AE aluminum box that came with it feeling better, it had more resistance, and had a very small dead spot compared to the new box. It felt much better than this new steering gear. Now the AD box that was in my 2018 was horrible and the worst box I’ve driven with, so I’ve seen some improvement with the AE and new AA Box, just not “wow’d”

With the steering wheel now cocked worse to the right after trying to get it straight from being slightly cocked to the left, and the dealer having to do an alignment 4 times in one visit I’m not sure what to do or where to go from here.

My invoice shows all correct parts and software updated, I’ve verified the new black AA box installed. I don’t have a place or the correct tools to jack up the Jeep and check if the bolts are torqued correctly, though I’m not sure that will make much difference.

I’m just disappointed and feel that it is what it is although I don’t think I should have to accept that.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I can only tell if the steering pump is on when I am parked, turning the wheel and holding it turned. See the video I posted. The pump will run constantly while I’m holding the wheel turned but when I let go it just stops.
How long after you let go of the steering wheel does the steering pump turn off? See the post above from Mgroeger. Looks like if the software was applied correctly, the steering pump should remain on for at least 10 seconds after the steering wheel stops moving.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can anyone else who had the steering TSB do the same steering pump test to confirm the same results?

Sponsored

Markham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara High Altitude
How long after you let go of the steering wheel does the steering pump turn off? See the post above from Mgroeger. Looks like if the software was applied correctly, the steering pump should remain on for at least 10 seconds after the steering wheel stops moving.
I can’t hear the pump when the steering wheel isn’t moving.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hey guys, new member here, been reading this forum and especially this thread for a few days already. I purchased a 2021 JLUR on 09/18/2020 and during the 20 mile drive home from the dealer, I did notice that I needed to adjust the steering wheel a little bit to bring the vehicle back to the center of the highway lane compared to other cars I’ve owned and driven before; sedans, SUVs and pickup trucks.
I initially wasn’t sure if it’s an issue or not as I’d never owned or driven a Wrangler before.
I also have to say that during street driving, I haven’t noticed anything unusual in particular with the steering so far.

Its not my daily and I’ve only put 120 miles on it.

Having checked about an hour ago, I can confirm I do have the new, black, steel AA steering gearbox.

This may sound odd but would one be able to perform a test to see if they have this dead space issue in their steering? I’m assuming going about 60mph on the highway and wobbling the wheel back and forth a little to see if the vehicle shakes side to side is one way to do it? But I assume a Wrangler would not respond to fast & minimal movements of the steering wheel as quickly or as precisely as a sedan or even a typical small suv, so how would I really know if it’s dead space or if it’s because this is a vehicle that is almost a foot off the ground with really big wheels?

Also, I have noticed a very slight and quiet whining/squealing noise when driving at very low speeds, such as when parking or cruising at 5 miles per hour on a narrow street, but it comes and goes. For example, after I’m done parking but I stay in the car with the engine still on, the noise always disappears within seconds. Is this the noise of the steering pump everyone is talking about?

Thanks everyone for the vast amount of important information you’ve all given me from all the posts on this forum regarding owning this very unique and fun vehicle.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey guys, new member here, been reading this forum and especially this thread for a few days already. I purchased a 2021 JLUR on 09/18/2020 and during the 20 mile drive home from the dealer, I did notice that I needed to adjust the steering wheel a little bit to bring the vehicle back to the center of the highway lane compared to other cars I’ve owned and driven before; sedans, SUVs and pickup trucks.
I initially wasn’t sure if it’s an issue or not as I’d never owned or driven a Wrangler before.
I also have to say that during street driving, I haven’t noticed anything unusual in particular with the steering so far.

Its not my daily and I’ve only put 120 miles on it.

Having checked about an hour ago, I can confirm I do have the new, black, steel AA steering gearbox.

This may sound odd but would one be able to perform a test to see if they have this dead space issue in their steering? I’m assuming going about 60mph on the highway and wobbling the wheel back and forth a little to see if the vehicle shakes side to side is one way to do it? But I assume a Wrangler would not respond to fast & minimal movements of the steering wheel as quickly or as precisely as a sedan or even a typical small suv, so how would I really know if it’s dead space or if it’s because this is a vehicle that is almost a foot off the ground with really big wheels?

Also, I have noticed a very slight and quiet whining/squealing noise when driving at very low speeds, such as when parking or cruising at 5 miles per hour on a narrow street, but it comes and goes. For example, after I’m done parking but I stay in the car with the engine still on, the noise always disappears within seconds. Is this the noise of the steering pump everyone is talking about?

Thanks everyone for the vast amount of important information you’ve all given me from all the posts on this forum regarding owning this very unique and fun vehicle.
Grab the Mopar LCA’s at minimum. Rubicon’s sit higher but for the same LCA’s as all other models, your caster is low. Longer LCA’s will bring it into the 6 degree range and improve wander.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!