New 2021 JLUR 6-Speed - Clutch Smell?

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Just picked up my 2021 JLUR and I’ve noticed a clutch smell. I forget, is that normal for the first few 100 miles or so?

I did have the dealership install a Mopar lift with 35s, but that shouldn’t matter.

I’ve owned 3 other manual Jeep Wranglers (2 TJs and 1 JK) and this is my 2nd new vehicle. I may have just forgotten that this occurred when I purchased my 2016 JK Rubicon 6-speed... or at least that’s my hope, and that this happens with new manual Jeeps.

Every car/truck/jeep I’ve owned has been manual... so it’s def not my driving.
Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Are you sure it’s clutch and not burning plastic/stickers?

OP
OP
MDRubicon

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Are you sure it’s clutch and not burning plastic/stickers?
What stickers are you referring to?

And no I’m not 100% positive it’s clutch... and good point, it could be a lot of things. Like I said I’ve forgotten what a new Jeep smells like, besides the “new car smell”.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Mine had a smell until about 1500 miles when it got hot. I just assumed it was burning stickers. There are quite a few under the hood and underneath. Definitely wasn’t clutch.

OP
OP
MDRubicon

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Wasn’t aware of any stickers under the hood, I’ll have to take a look. I’ll also ask my guy at the dealership if they think it’s normal to have smells beyond the new car smell, and only when driving, etc.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wasn’t aware of any stickers under the hood, I’ll have to take a look. I’ll also ask my guy at the dealership if they think it’s normal to have smells beyond the new car smell, and only when driving, etc.
There is a sticker on every single part on your Jeep, with the part numbers and usually a bar code. It would cost too much for FCA to have them removed before install.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
There is a sticker on every single part on your Jeep, with the part numbers and usually a bar code. It would cost too much for FCA to have them removed before install.
One of those damn stickers started to get loose on my driver side quarter panel. It made a buzzing sound on the highway that made me mental for months until I figured it out. Ugh.

OP, my clutch didn’t smell when new. Only time I’ve smelled burning clutch in my JL is when I taught my teenagers to drive it.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Burning clutch smell is a unique smell and you definitely should not have it in a new vehicle. Burning clutch smell is if you have been slipping the clutch a lot. This could happen in a new vehicle if the driver is not using the clutch correctly, for instance slipping the clutch a lot on a hill to hold the vehicle in position.

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
There was a recall earlier on clutches with air in the system not allowing full disengagement of the friction disc which caused it to overheat and blow apart.

The test was to put the emergency brake on, rev it up to 4,000rpm and dump the clutch. If it stalled immediately you were fine, if it took a second or two to kill it, it was defective and needed replaced.

Wondering if they are having the same issue again on the 21’s?

OP
OP
MDRubicon

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Burning clutch smell is a unique smell and you definitely should not have it in a new vehicle. Burning clutch smell is if you have been slipping the clutch a lot. This could happen in a new vehicle if the driver is not using the clutch correctly, for instance slipping the clutch a lot on a hill to hold the vehicle in position.
Or if there’s a problem with the Jeep... I’m pretty sure I read about people encountering a burning clutch smell relating to the clutch issues that were prominent in prior year JLs.

I certainly was not slipping the clutch. When I get my JL back from being ceramic coating I’ll def. inspect some more. It’s possible that I thought it was clutch when in fact it was something else. I’ll also drive it by the dealership and get their take on it to reconfirm.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
My jeep smelled toasty for the first couple thousand miles. Goes away after a little bit.

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
It could be lubricants or oils burning off new parts. Mine had some funky smells for the first 500-600 miles or so.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
New Jeeps have a "burn in" smell. 100% normal.

OP
OP
MDRubicon

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Okay so it’s certainly not the clutch, at least I don’t believe it is and it primarily “appears” to occur when driving in higher RPMs - I’ve still not hit 100 miles yet. I had the dealership install a Mopar 2” lift with Nitto Ridge 35s + took it to get ceramic coated, so after investing heavy into the JLUR I’m really hoping everyone is right, that it’s just a “burn in” smell, which is “normal”... just to be safe, I’m planning to bring it by the dealer tomorrow.

The smell begins when I’m accelerating or immediately after having downshifted and becomes significantly stronger the longer I let it ride in higher RPM... it’s 100% not due to clutch slipping, etc. Smells like a burning smell.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Okay so it’s certainly not the clutch, at least I don’t believe it is and it primarily “appears” to occur when driving in higher RPMs - I’ve still not hit 100 miles yet. I had the dealership install a Mopar 2” lift with Nitto Ridge 35s + took it to get ceramic coated, so after investing heavy into the JLUR I’m really hoping everyone is right, that it’s just a “burn in” smell, which is “normal”... just to be safe, I’m planning to bring it by the dealer tomorrow.

The smell begins when I’m accelerating or immediately after having downshifted and becomes significantly stronger the longer I let it ride in higher RPM... it’s 100% not due to clutch slipping, etc. Smells like a burning smell.
It’s normal. Did you take a look at all the stickers yet? Under the hood. On all the parts. Lay underneath, you’ll see more.
Sponsored