Sponsored

Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top?

quadmania64

First Name
alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU with Power Top
Hi guys. Sorry if I'm not an expert on Jeep. I just got a new 2020 JLU with PowerTop.
The issue to install a rack using the gutter is that the gutter and its structure is made by fiberglass which is not strong enough to carry weights. Am I wrong?
Sponsored

barton

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I sold my '19 JLU w/ power top. I have a set of Thule 8" tall bases and 2 square Thule bars that I'd like to sell. The bases allow the roof to open and close without interference. Never used. I added awning brackets to one side of the bars as well. Thule no longer makes these bases. PM if interested. Probably local only - North Atlanta (Cumming).
Pat

Logos

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
When I bought my Rubicon it had a Yakima rack using Yakimas 2 inch risers (I believe that's the height) and the one touch worked perfectly with it. Since I wanted a RTT I bought lodoffroads destroyer rack with cross members and just installed it, as long as you position the bars at correct intervals the one touch works with it as well.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi guys. Sorry if I'm not an expert on Jeep. I just got a new 2020 JLU with PowerTop.
The issue to install a rack using the gutter is that the gutter and its structure is made by fiberglass which is not strong enough to carry weights. Am I wrong?
Hi Alberto:

Let me answer this way. The MOPAR cross bars--which by the way I am not certain if they ride high enough to clear the open power top, are rated at what I understand are 150 pounds of total gear.

That's two bars with two connection points or 4 foot on the rain gutter.

Perhaps with more connections to the rain gutter more (evenly distributed) weight can be dealt with but I don't know--and still there's the issue with clearance with an open power top--not that opening the top with all sorts of gear above really lends itself to much benefit.

Budget notwithstanding, LOD Offroad and Gobi make roof racks that will clear the power top, but they're considered high end gear and involve more cost and work to install. Neither are removable without enough work to practically speaking make them not really geared for installation/de-installation only at times of off roading.

Another solution are racks that are supported in part by interfacing with the cargo tub--a much more doable job for mere hard top owners than power top owners. And in this case, I imagine that the power top could not open beyond the front most portion of such a rack, which normally sits above the cargo area without enough height clearance to accept the folds of an open power top.

Finally, it's not just about the forces of gravity on the rain gutters but those that might cause an aerodynamic object on a rack, tied down, to want to achieve lift for itself and all that connected to it while the Wrangler operates at highway speeds.

heyjoe481

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Wrangler Willys Edition
I sold my '19 JLU w/ power top. I have a set of Thule 8" tall bases and 2 square Thule bars that I'd like to sell. The bases allow the roof to open and close without interference. Never used. I added awning brackets to one side of the bars as well. Thule no longer makes these bases. PM if interested. Probably local only - North Atlanta (Cumming).
Pat
Interested!

Sponsored

baldwinbro1

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4 Door Wrangler with Sky One Touch
Has anyone mounted a basket on the Rhino Racks?

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top? IMG_3712
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top? IMG_3688
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top? IMG_3645
Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep roof rack with Sky One-Touch power top? IMG_3641

Multiple nights with me, my kid and gear, zero issues on or offroad. This rack holds 225 dynamic or 600static. Me and my kid weigh 300, RTT 160, gear 20'ish... so 480/600 static and 180/225dynamic and shes doing just fine. this is not a gutter mount only rack though, it has feet which rest on the reinforced edges of the roof. (no i cant use the top but i pull the fuse when running the rack, easy peasy )
Sponsored