Is Superchips Necessary?

Brutus9

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, BMW 535i, Jeep Rubicon
I am installing 37” tires on a 2020 JLUR and wonder if I need to buy a superchips for recalibration. Years ago I went with large tires on a pickup and the speedometer was off by 8 mph. What is your opinion on the benefits of superchips? Is it worth it?
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If you want an accurate speedometer and subsequently an accurate odometer, then yes.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

Get a Tazer.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I am installing 37” tires on a 2020 JLUR and wonder if I need to buy a superchips for recalibration. Years ago I went with large tires on a pickup and the speedometer was off by 8 mph. What is your opinion on the benefits of superchips? Is it worth it?
If you have the 8-speed zf auto, it operates at its best when fed correct information. It learns your driving habits and, in conjunction with certain set factors like gearing and tire size, will fine tune its shift points for optimal performance based on your demands. I highly recommend giving it the correct information that it needs.

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
I second @Spank comment reasoning. And it doesn’t matter which you get... super chips, tazer and one other one. They ALL have the same COMMON function to calibrate your Speedo and gears.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yeah, the Tazer is fine, too. I only got the FlashCal because it was about $100 cheaper at the time and all I needed it for was changing the tire size and reducing the tire pressure threshold so my EVIC wouldn't go apeshit running my tires at a lower PSI.
Sponsored