Sponsored

Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal?

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
There are two types of liars, those who say they don't get stuck, and those who say they don't get stuck anymore ;) :giggle: jk!

Once in a while you just might need a shovel. I've had my fair share of stucks. Sometimes for being stupid (hydrolocked), sometimes for mechanical failure (locking hub, t-case, u-joints), and a few times for getting in over my head. Of course I was young and dumb. And I'm not so young anymore...
I have been stuck, just never used a shovel to get unstuck. I have hooked my winch line 10 feet up in a tree to pick the front of the JLUR out of the mud hole. Sure, I could have used a shovel there, but hey a 12,000 pound winch will pick the front end up out of a hole.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DShanesky

DShanesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I purchased the small Rhino brand folding shovel. I have it in my recovery bag. Hopefully I don’t need it but you know......Thanks for all your help everyone!!

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have been stuck, just never used a shovel to get unstuck. I have hooked my winch line 10 feet up in a tree to pick the front of the JLUR out of the mud hole. Sure, I could have used a shovel there, but hey a 12,000 pound winch will pick the front end up out of a hole.
If we're being honest, the couple times I've been stuck in deep sand where a shovel would have been useful, I didn't have one on me. And had to resort to the chancla method...

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
I carry a shovel and need have used it a few times.

Sponsored

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Nice! What mount is that?
It's a Teraflex high lift jack mount modified with a couple of Quick Fists instead of the jack mounting bolts. Works great!

Last edited:

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
It's a Teraflex high lift jack mount modified with a couple of Quick Fists instead of the jack mounting bolts. Works great!
Can you take a pic of how you have the mount attached?

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
Sure- here you go. Used large fender washers on the back side of the Quick Fists to provide some additional rigidity. Rubber pad glued to the bolt heads helps keep the shovel from rotating.

Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal? IMG_9616

Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal? IMG_9617

Jeep Wrangler JL Poll: How important is a shovel in your 4 wheeling recovery arsenal? IMG_9618

Last edited:

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
The majority of my off-roading will be while surf fishing on the beaches. All beaches that I will be frequenting require a shovel as part of your mandatory gear. I have a folding military shovel that will go in my kit but am thinking of putting a long handle shovel on the roof rack in the event I need to shovel out in the center line of the Jeep. I also like to travel back roads for photography opportunities and a shovel would be good to have especially in snowy situations. You never know what will arise.

Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
After getting high centered in deep snow with my first 4x4 (Grand Cherokee) many years ago and having to dig myself out by hand, I’ve always brought a shovel since. No gloves either. To be young and dumb again, good times.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
True, they’re not the most comfortable thing to use, BUT they beat the heck out of no shovel. Small enough to always be there.
I would put it there w better than hands. But not by much. And hands might be faster depending what your digging.
Sponsored