First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Has any one had issues at dealer with a new 2020 JL taken in for the Steering SB. Stopped by dealer guessing to make an appointment based on limited supply of the SB parts but they informed They had the parts and could get me in now during lunch time.. I had advise sales and service the play in steering after 1 day of ownership. Service Tech began to load my information into the work order, name, VIN and Turned to Me and told me my VIN # was NOT Applicable. His manger walked by and he told his manager and manger advised Tech To inform me there was nothing they could do. VIN NOT APPLICABLE to Service Bullentin. Any advice or similar situations. Contacted Jeep Cares and was advised to be careful of what I read on the internet. I told her I had the SB from them in front of me. Was then advised to take in, let a Tech drive to confirm if an issue or normal JEEP characteristic. it might be covered under Warrenty, told here never had I driven a vehicle that had 1-1.5 inch play at speeds over 60mph. Any advice
Sponsored

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
contact JeepCares and have them run interference on this for you.
they have had great success in assisting owners with dealers too thick headed to understand they are required to do this.
if you want to prove the TSB applies to you, open your hood and find the steering box. If it’s silver, it gets replaced.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Has any one had issues at dealer with a new 2020 JL taken in for the Steering SB. Stopped by dealer guessing to make an appointment based on limited supply of the SB parts but they informed They had the parts and could get me in now during lunch time.. I had advise sales and service the play in steering after 1 day of ownership. Service Tech began to load my information into the work order, name, VIN and Turned to Me and told me my VIN # was NOT Applicable. His manger walked by and he told his manager and manger advised Tech To inform me there was nothing they could do. VIN NOT APPLICABLE to Service Bullentin. Any advice or similar situations. Contacted Jeep Cares and was advised to be careful of what I read on the internet. I told her I had the SB from them in front of me. Was then advised to take in, let a Tech drive to confirm if an issue or normal JEEP characteristic. it might be covered under Warrenty, told here never had I driven a vehicle that had 1-1.5 inch play at speeds over 60mph. Any advice
They are bullshitting you. Our VINs are extremely close and I had zero issues. They didn’t even do anything but order parts and install/update software. Come up this way.

Sponsored

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
Set your tire air pressure to 35 psi and put a couple hundred miles on the new tires to wear them in some. Reevaluate after this. Tom

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
Agree with Rdmitch, if you do not have a black cast box and yours is silver the TSB applies to your vehicle. Contact JeepCares if this is the case.

OP
OP
MMalone

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
contact JeepCares and have them run interference on this for you.
they have had great success in assisting owners with dealers too thick headed to understand they are required to do this.
if you want to prove the TSB applies to you, open your hood and find the steering box. If it’s silver, it gets replaced.
I did, she told me to take back in and let a Tech drive it to determine IF it is an issue ( I am the one that drives it)and should be covered.by warranty. But she also told me to be careful what I read on these sites. I had to laugh at her. Schedule an appointment for Wednesday am

Ddrag1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
I did, she told me to take back in and let a Tech drive it to determine IF it is an issue ( I am the one that drives it)and should be covered.by warranty. But she also told me to be careful what I read on these sites. I had to laugh at her. Schedule an appointment for Wednesday am
I have an appointment to get mine fixed next week. When I called to schedule, I was advised that I had to bring it in first to have it evaluated. I then explained that the TSB specifically says that if the customer complains of wander or pulling, they are supposed to just perform the service. The service advisor then read the TSB and agreed with me. Not sure if it will help you, but you have nothing to lose quoting the language of the TSB and/or giving them a copy. And, by the way, the first thing the service advisor said to me was that I cannot believe everything I read on a Jeep forum. In turn, I asked if I can believe what the actual TSB says.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Is it those with a silver box no matter what? Mines a 2018 and has always steered great, but will they change it out, or am I also going to need crappy steering too?

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Maybe they got the VIN cutover messed up due to the shutdown with COVID?

I'd try working with another dealership.

Again don't understand why these dealerships are making this so hard. They get billable hours to do this work. It makes hard-won customers happy - which means REPEAT customers. This is why the limit on parts that can be ordered to make sure they get spread around.

If I was a dealership and this TSB came out I would be telling my sales people and service people "Call everyone who has a complaint about steering in their files and advise them of this TSB and to call and get it scheduled...."

It makes no sense they deny or make this hard unless they have such a backlog of work they simply don't want more......

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Is it those with a silver box no matter what? Mines a 2018 and has always steered great, but will they change it out, or am I also going to need crappy steering too?
Silver box is aluminum and the problem part. New one is steel painted black.

I would suggest getting it done; as it will not drive worse if installed correctly.....

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
TSB number is 08-074-20 take a copy with you when you go to he Dealers as they cannot dispute what is in black and white. If you steering box is Aluminum (silver) it has nothing to do with VIN. They should order Steel (black) gear P/N 68507569AA plus P/N 06506950, one I-Shaft Bolt and P/N 06513396AA a package of 4 frame bolts. If they refuse to assist you first show TSB to Dealer Manager (not Service Manager)or owner, contact JeepCare and if that still does not work try another dealer but file an official complaint with FCA

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That would be more up to you, The TSB states that if an owner complains of wandering or loose steering and has the aluminum gear box than they should replace it with the steel one. They are supposed to follow the procedures laid out in the TSB one of which is verify condition. If you want the steel (black) gear you have to convince them you have an issue and that they need to change your gear.
Sponsored