Dual Top Delay Time

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Y’all have no idea how many places they can store built but not shipped vehicles (if indeed that is what’s happening). The N Ohio and SE Mich area has loads of former industrial areas with large parking lots. Offhand, the first place I think of down there is the parking lot north of where I-75 and I-275 split. I’ve seen hundreds to a few thousand CJDR vehicles there in the past when they aren’t selling. In Detroit there’s Mound Rd plant, Lynch Rd plant, State Fair, etc. I’m sure Toledo has plenty too.

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
but they have to use the trucks they should be using for shipping completed vehicles to send completed vehicles to storage, and then they have to bring them back all at once when they get the tops. Then shipping gets clogged up and they have less trucks because they have to deal with the transportation from storage, and we end up exactly where we were for the last month. Clusterf*cked

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
but they have to use the trucks they should be using for shipping completed vehicles to send completed vehicles to storage, and then they have to bring them back all at once when they get the tops. Then shipping gets clogged up and they have less trucks because they have to deal with the transportation from storage, and we end up exactly where we were for the last month. Clusterf*cked
If it's just soft tops that are missing, they can ship the tops to the storage lots and send the Jeeps on from there instead of bringing them back to the plant.

Overall this is not a really crappy rollout as new vehicle rollouts go. When the second Dart was released, they had thousands of them stored in Illinois waiting to be reprogrammed to deal with faulty shift points in the trans. Hell, aren't they still building sellable JKs while they're building JLs? These are minor and predictable bugs that will be worked out.

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Most likely because once they build it they really have no place to store it. Honestly I think you are better off with them holding off for a few reasons:

1. It won't be built and then sitting outside in the weather (high winds with sand, bird droppings, snow, pollen..)
2. It won't be shuffled around as they try to access other jeeps in the lot potentially.
3. It won't get stored on a lot and then have a lot of other jeeps stored in front of it delaying shipping after because it is blocked in deep.

I ordered soft top only and I am actually happy that they won't start it until they have a soft top for it. Yes they have to wait as I only have a soft top. I just would not want it to be built and hanging around in some lot for 30 plus days outside.
I'm with you, rather have them wait to build then sit around in a storage lot. But my first preference would be to build it and ship without soft top. I'm perfectly fine waiting a few months for a soft top to show up and be driving the new just with the hard top. Still doesn't make since why they just don't do a IOU on the soff top and get these sold orders filled.

Sponsored

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Ocean Blue Metallic)
I'm with you, rather have them wait to build then sit around in a storage lot. But my first preference would be to build it and ship without soft top. I'm perfectly fine waiting a few months for a soft top to show up and be driving the new just with the hard top. Still doesn't make since why they just don't do a IOU on the soff top and get these sold orders filled.
+1,000,000
I’m perfectly content driving around in my hard top for a few months!!!

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I agree! I just would not have that option since I don't use hard tops. They cannot build mine and ship without it or it would come with no top! :cwl:

What kills me is people who have dual top group, get their Jeep and then put the soft top up for sale! LOL I am like NOOOOOOOO..... That soft top could have been used on my Jeep!!!!! :cwl:

OP
OP
Gegjeff

Gegjeff

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon - 2017 Ford Raptor - 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2017 Ford F150
Ordered my Rubicon Unlimited JL on 2-3-18, received build sheet 2-23-18 and entered JB status 3-4-18. With all the talk of dual top delays, I am trying to figure out how long I can expect to wait in line to get the top in. If you have received your JL with Dual Tops (or have not), post the dates you entered JB status and when it was moved out of JB (if it has). This may help us poor folks try to plan.
I am so excited, actually had some movement. I have no idea what it means but maybe it is going to Toledo to get the soft top. Of course I am not holding my breath.

Current Status: JB
D1 status date: 02/09/2018
Estimated delivery: TBD
Built pending inspection: 02/21/18 05:55:00 PM
Gate Out 03/03/18 11:36:00 AM TOLEDO, OH
Ingate / Rebay at Facility 03/03/18 11:46:00 AM TOLEDO, OH
Ingate / Rebay at Facility 03/03/18 11:56:00 AM SWANTON, OH OFFSITE
Truck Pick-Up / Yard Exit 03/12/18 07:04:00 PM TOLEDO, OH
Delivered to Storage/Transfer Yard 03/12/18 08:30:00 PM SWANTON, OH
Gate Out 03/27/18 02:14:00 PM SWANTON, OH OFFSITE
Ingate / Rebay at Facility 03/28/18 02:37:00 PM TOLEDO, OH VDC

Ajn13

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I am so excited, actually had some movement. I have no idea what it means but maybe it is going to Toledo to get the soft top. Of course I am not holding my breath.

Current Status: JB
D1 status date: 02/09/2018
Estimated delivery: TBD
Built pending inspection: 02/21/18 05:55:00 PM
Gate Out 03/03/18 11:36:00 AM TOLEDO, OH
Ingate / Rebay at Facility 03/03/18 11:46:00 AM TOLEDO, OH
Ingate / Rebay at Facility 03/03/18 11:56:00 AM SWANTON, OH OFFSITE
Truck Pick-Up / Yard Exit 03/12/18 07:04:00 PM TOLEDO, OH
Delivered to Storage/Transfer Yard 03/12/18 08:30:00 PM SWANTON, OH
Gate Out 03/27/18 02:14:00 PM SWANTON, OH OFFSITE
Ingate / Rebay at Facility 03/28/18 02:37:00 PM TOLEDO, OH VDC
I was offsite and made my way back to body vendor for a day or 2 (hoping I got my soft top), then moved to VDC for a day all while in JB. Today I moved to KZ and show VDC. I had a feeling when I went back to body vendor from “northtowne off site” that the top was being added and sure enough I moved into KZ with an eta. Now if I actually catch a train in the next few days remains to be seen!

OP
OP
Gegjeff

Gegjeff

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon - 2017 Ford Raptor - 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 2017 Ford F150
That is really good news. Hope you get on the train soon. This gives me hope.

Sponsored

Ajn13

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
That is really good news. Hope you get on the train soon. This gives me hope.
You too! Hopefully you get an eta soon.
My dealer gave me an eta last week and it’s similar to what is now my eta on the tracking spreadsheet. My build also shows up on my dealers website as “in transit” for the first time. Hopefully this means it’s scheduled for a train!

goracers

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Waiting on the Dual Top as well and finally moved around lots this week, then went KZ. Today on a random check of my dealer's site, it shows!! My guess is maybe later next week.

js1911

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ-7
Waiting on the Dual Top as well and finally moved around lots this week, then went KZ. Today on a random check of my dealer's site, it shows!! My guess is maybe later next week.
Never know... mine is showing up on the dealer site as In Transit. I ordered on 2/12. On 3/22 they said it was approved for shipping and estimated to dealer 3/29-4/02; then on 3/27 it was 4/1-4/5; and on 3/29 it was 4/7-4/11. I asked why it every day the window ships forward and they said it might be because of the soft-top. I think that was fake news, it does not seem they move things to shipping until all the parts are there.

vintage38

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
I agree! I just would not have that option since I don't use hard tops. They cannot build mine and ship without it or it would come with no top! :cwl:

What kills me is people who have dual top group, get their Jeep and then put the soft top up for sale! LOL I am like NOOOOOOOO..... That soft top could have been used on my Jeep!!!!! :cwl:
Main reason why I with dual top group:
Mopar Premium soft top $2150.
New Mopar Premium Soft top when ordered in dual top group $1100
$2150 - $1100 = $1050 Profit.
Sorry but I can buy alot of extra accessories with $1050, if I decide to sell the soft top.