Sponsored

Another Dealership 6 quart “Free” Oil Change.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah right, your cap List 5W 30. I’m confident they make sure and give you the correct weight oil lol since they can’t even figure out the quantity. LOL
Hope you have a lease. I never buy used vehicles for this reason. Good luck
I have 125,000 mile warranty, and a little faith in my dealership. I talk to them and the technicians often. And I don't get my oil changed at a car wash...
Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I have 125,000 mile warranty, and a little faith in my dealership. I talk to them and the technicians often. And I don't get my oil changed at a car wash...
Nope, the car wash guy works at your dealership. If you’ve been reading. You’re gonna need that warranty you’ll have a rear main seal leak soon. Most all dealership oil change vehicles do because of the overfill.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
You also got a 50-50 chance of having a new oil filter put on
Nope, the car wash guy works at your dealership. If you’ve been reading. You’re gonna need that warranty you’ll have a rear main seal leak soon. Most all dealership oil change vehicles do because of the overfill.

He must have one heck of a long drive to work if he's driving from your car wash to my dealership... Hope he has a Prius...

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I’ve had 2 of my 3 free oil changes conducted at the dealership. Today, I decided to do my own. There are a total of 17,100 miles on it and it’s been mild use highway miles since the last change. The cluster screen indicated 20% life remaining at time of change.

Used a 5qt jug of Penzoil .

All went well until I was transferring the used oil into the same 5qt jug after the refill. The oil was jet black, and quickly overflowed the jug. How can this be? Does the 3.6 produce oil over time?? Grabbed a clear empty jug and dumped the rest. And that took another quart.

I triple checked the owner’s manual and it clearly states 5 quarts. I have read this being an issue do to the transition to the JLs in 2018, but still in 2020!

Now this calls into question many things.

Were the prior changes even done ? Did they simply check the dipstick, leave the filter, oil, and just add a quart making it 6? Or, are they still putting 6 quarts into the 3.6 engines?

What potential damage could driving approximately 12,000 miles with too much oil cause to the engine?

Very frustrating.
Unfortunately this has been a problem with Jeep as well as other
makes of cars. I had Chevrolet dealership overflow my corvette by
a quart. Brought the vehicle back (50 miles round trip) and they said
that it was corrected. Guess what, yes still 6 quarts. I has a Toyota
dealership change my oil. When I got home I noticed the filter was
still dirty, next time I make it with tape. Had oil changed when required,
yes your right, filter was not changed even though they charged me for its replacement. Yes management was apologetic (just words). On
the positive side, since the Wrangler has a high ground clearance, its
even easy for an old dude, 76 yrs, to change the oil.

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
2.0, and they overfilled my oil every time.
Thanks for the reminder though, I don't think I checked after my (blessedly) last Wave oil change.
BRB

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0, and they overfilled my oil every time.
Thanks for the reminder though, I don't think I checked after my (blessedly) last Wave oil change.
BRB
YEP. About a quart high. Now I've got to drain or pump it out.
I've gotten good at draining oil w/o too much of a mess.

2300 miles on it with too much oil. No excessive exhaust, so I'm sure i'm fine. But I've complained before and they don't listen.

Fuck Jeep Wave. Change your own oil. AT least you'll know it was done right.

wolves26

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Ocean Blue, 2014 Ram 2500 Mega Cab Blue Streak
Vehicle Showcase
2.0L - first free jeep wave oil change at Ziegler CDRJ in Downers Grove IL. They put 6 quarts in.
Drove right back into service department and had them put 5 quarts in.

After that decided to do it myself. Forget the free oil changes. It's an easy oil change.
5 quarts of oil, new filter, and a quart of beer. Good to go!

Sponsored

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0L - first free jeep wave oil change at Ziegler CDRJ in Downers Grove IL. They put 6 quarts in.
Drove right back into service department and had them put 5 quarts in.

After that decided to do it myself. Forget the free oil changes. It's an easy oil change.
5 quarts of oil, new filter, and a quart of beer. Good to go!
The F'd up thing is, that on the statement/invoice they listed 5 qts. I'm guessing these invoices are just boilerplate docx's now, and hardly changed. But the dipstick is drowning in oil past the Fill line

Billshoe

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler MOAB... 1985 Oldsmobile 442
I brought mine to the same dealer here in NY that I used on my previous Jeeps. I had the first free oil change done and also had stabilizer recall done as well as replacing lower front passenger seat. I told them of issue of adding 6 qts of oil. Even with free oil change from Jeep cares I had to pay $29.99 not covered on oil change. Ok whatever I’m not going to argue and I told them check Jeep cause shakes a little in park and fan loud when hot outside even if just starting the Jeep up and engine cold. I pick up Jeep and it says 6 qts of oil added on receipt. I get home call dealer and was told it’s what the parts dept gives the tech when looking up on computer. So there I am climbing under Jeep taking out my $30 qt of oil on a hot 94 degree day.