Why 17” wheels and not 18 or 20”?

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
I’ve noticed a vast majority of lifted JLs with 35s and even 37s are mounted inside 17” wheels.

is there a reason for this? What are the negatives in running 18s or 20s?

I personally like the looks of 20” wheels with 37” tires.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As it pertains to Jeep size wheels and tires, the larger the wheel diameter, the less sidewall you will have.

Tires (and the amount of sidewall) directly affect ride and handling. With a taller sidewall area, the tire can flex more, providing a better ride. With a shorter sidewall, the flexing of the sidewall is reduced, leading to a more firm ride, but better handling.

Larger diameter wheels and shorter sidewalls are great for sports cars where cornering speed is important. Off road, the shorter sidewalls won't bulge as much when you air down, which can reduce your tread footprint and leave the wheel edges more vulnerable to damage. Short sidewalls will also tend to give the Jeep a rougher ride (on and off road).

I personally don't like the looks of 20" wheels with tires less than 40" on a Wrangler. My primary concerns for tires and wheels are function and ability way before looks. But I also take mine off road. Those who don't and care more for looks might appreciate the 20" wheels.

In addition, the larger the wheel diameter, the more the wheel (and tires) will weigh. This is an important consideration when doing a build, especially if you're not re-gearing, in order to keep down the un-sprung weight.

DeVoTee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 JKU Rubicon, 17 JKU Sport on Roids, 18 JLU Rubicon, 19 JL Rubicon ordered, RAM, Range Rover
In addition to the excellent answer above, A lot of the tires in th 18/20" are are built for trucks and have a higher load rating, higher ply and heavier tire in general. A Higher ply equals stiffer tire in addition to shorter sidewall means a really crappy ride!

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
As it pertains to Jeep size wheels and tires, the larger the wheel diameter, the less sidewall you will have.

Tires (and the amount of sidewall) directly affect ride and handling. With a taller sidewall area, the tire can flex more, providing a better ride. With a shorter sidewall, the flexing of the sidewall is reduced, leading to a more firm ride, but better handling.

Larger diameter wheels and shorter sidewalls are great for sports cars where cornering speed is important. Off road, the shorter sidewalls won't bulge as much when you air down, which can reduce your tread footprint and leave the wheel edges more vulnerable to damage. Short sidewalls will also tend to give the Jeep a rougher ride (on and off road).

I personally don't like the looks of 20" wheels with tires less than 40" on a Wrangler. My primary concerns for tires and wheels are function and ability way before looks. But I also take mine off road. Those who don't and care more for looks might appreciate the 20" wheels.

In addition, the larger the wheel diameter, the more the wheel (and tires) will weigh. This is an important consideration when doing a build, especially if you're not re-gearing, in order to keep down the un-sprung weight.
thank you guys for the info. I will be off road from time to time. However, this is my daily driver as well.
I had 20” wheels on my 2018 F150 and 35x12.50 mud grapplers. It looked pretty good. But I did not take it off road as much as I will with the new Jeep. I also have the 1990 YJ that I typically use for playing, so I can beat it up.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
There are people running 33-35” tires on 18’s but yes, they are E load. I’m going to try them and look closely at a few threads here on the subject. It’s difficult to find someone who has tried more than 1 or two different brands/sizes on 18’s though. That feedback might help weed out the worst riding E load tires I’d think.

There are some E loads with 2 ply sidewalls. I don’t know for sure if that would help the ride or if the materials used in the sidewall make up for the lack of layers. Then I also consider durability. I think that’s a factor regardless of load rating though.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As mentioned above, it is an “off road” thing: more sidewall gives you more cushion and traction on the trail.

As to why 17 and not 16 or 15 inches: on JK, JL and JT, 17+ inches allow the use of bigger brakes on Rubicons and Saharas. The bigger the tires, the bigger the brakes you’re going to need.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
There are people running 33-35” tires on 18’s but yes, they are E load. I’m going to try them and look closely at a few threads here on the subject. It’s difficult to find someone who has tried more than 1 or two different brands/sizes on 18’s though. That feedback might help weed out the worst riding E load tires I’d think.

There are some E loads with 2 ply sidewalls. I don’t know for sure if that would help the ride or if the materials used in the sidewall make up for the lack of layers. Then I also consider durability. I think that’s a factor regardless of load rating though.
My plan is to run 35” or 37” nitto mud grapplers this time as well.

I have only found a handful of people running 37” mud grapplers, likely due to the width and weight. I am still on the fence. It will be a 21 rubicon with aev 2.5” dual sport lift. That’s why I am leaning toward 37s. I’m just hesitant due to the fact that the 37s are actually a bit wider than the stated 13.50

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Another reason is might be that the stock rim size is 17", which like others have said, is the minimum size.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
I’ve noticed a vast majority of lifted JLs with 35s and even 37s are mounted inside 17” wheels.

is there a reason for this? What are the negatives in running 18s or 20s?

I personally like the looks of 20” wheels with 37” tires.
It's called more tire than wheel, you want big sidewall.
Sponsored