Sponsored

Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
That is a lot of rust for just a few months of winter. Call them and see what they say.
Sponsored

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
That is a lot of rust for just a few months of winter. Call them and see what they say.
I had emailed twice previously but on your recommendation I did call them today.

Short story shorter:
"It's because of areas like upstate NY which use corrosive road products that the powder coat is not covered by warranty". I was offered $50 to cover some of the costs of correcting the bumpers, which I accepted. It'll cover some of the cost for a POR15 product redo.

In the end I reiterated my position that I would still buy their products because of construction quality but wasn't happy with the powder coat performance and asked that future buyers from winter-salt-use areas be given fair warning about winter protection.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had emailed twice previously but on your recommendation I did call them today.

Short story shorter:
"It's because of areas like upstate NY which use corrosive road products that the powder coat is not covered by warranty". I was offered $50 to cover some of the costs of correcting the bumpers, which I accepted. It'll cover some of the cost for a POR15 product redo.

In the end I reiterated my position that I would still buy their products because of construction quality but wasn't happy with the powder coat performance and asked that future buyers from winter-salt-use areas be given fair warning about winter protection.
Bumper is nearly complete. Used a palm sander with 60 grit to remove the original coating, followed up with a wash and de-greasing then spray painted 2 coats with automotive rust reformer from Rustoleum. The finish looks so good I may leave it this way. In all about 12 hours on the tire carrier and rear bumper. Next comes the front bumper.
I drilled out the original screws for the tow connector and then tapped the holes 1/4 x 20 and have ss hardware there now. This way I have quick and easy access to the back of the harness assembly.

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon. 2017 Moto Guzzi V7.
Anyone running this bumper/tire carrier? I'd like some references before i drop big money, thanks.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier IMG_4667
It’s worth the price. Just put mine on about 2 months ago and so far I love it. I don’t have the jugs and basket mounted but I did put the hilift jack on. Fits perfect.
No more listening to the spare rattling around on the tailgate.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bumper is nearly complete. Used a palm sander with 60 grit to remove the original coating, followed up with a wash and de-greasing then spray painted 2 coats with automotive rust reformer from Rustoleum. The finish looks so good I may leave it this way. In all about 12 hours on the tire carrier and rear bumper. Next comes the front bumper.
I drilled out the original screws for the tow connector and then tapped the holes 1/4 x 20 and have ss hardware there now. This way I have quick and easy access to the back of the harness assembly.

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg
Completed the front bumper. Stripped the old "powder coat" with 60 grit and a palm sander followed by degrease and metal prep. Instead of using Rust-oleum automotive rust-reformer on the front I went with 2 coats of POR15 rust preventative epoxy coat followed by 3 coats Rust-oleum semi-gloss black.
I changed out the original original hardware as it was bleeding white residue. I went with SS bolts, washers and Nylock nuts but I was quickly reminded that large SS bolts require anti-seize as my first bolt galled and cold welded ($%#^&)... my fault for not remembering. Used nickel SS anti-seize and the installation continued problem free.
Considering the rusted mess I started out with after 6 months on and through one winter (pics on page one), I think I've got a good change of making it through a few winters without major issues.

IMG_4722.jpg

Sponsored

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I have a steel rear with tire carrier on order and will be using the Jeep in Michigan near the bridge. What would you recommend before mounting? I wonder how the spray on pick up truck bed liner system would hold up?
Or the POR 15 metal conditioner system and repaint?
They should ship in the next two weeks.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I wonder if I can get their aluminum rear bumper uncoated.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a steel rear with tire carrier on order and will be using the Jeep in Michigan near the bridge. What would you recommend before mounting? I wonder how the spray on pick up truck bed liner system would hold up?
Or the POR 15 metal conditioner system and repaint?
They should ship in the next two weeks.
IMO if you purchased painted items I would apply a few layers of clear clear coat semi-gloss or flat coat to seal the surface. Surface prep with 320 and de-grease prior to application. Take your time and do it right it'll pay off. I've had good results with Rustoleum. I'd do that before the POR15 route, it's not like your working on rusted items.
Also, If you have the tow package you may appreciate tapping the holes 1/4x20 and using stainless steel hardware. The nut/bolt provided works well but if you ever need to pull the connector and harness out it would require you to pull the bumper. With tapped holes and SS hardware you'll have future easy access without getting behind the bumper.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if I can get their aluminum rear bumper uncoated.
I haven't heard anybody with issues with the aluminum bumpers in the winter/salt states. If you go the route of painting bare aluminum I would school up on it as there are different variables to consider. Steel to bare aluminum contact with road salt do not not end well you only have to read the forum "Bubbles in paint at hinges" to get the idea.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I haven't heard anybody with issues with the aluminum bumpers in the winter/salt states. If you go the route of painting bare aluminum I would school up on it as there are different variables to consider. Steel to bare aluminum contact with road salt do not not end well you only have to read the forum "Bubbles in paint at hinges" to get the idea.
No, no coatings intended. I just need it to match my front Genright bumper. I’ll take precautions to prevent galvanic corrosion though.

Sponsored

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I like the idea of 2 coats of flat clear and thanks fpr the heads up tapping the trailer plug holes to allow access. If you tap can you install the plug after the bumper is installed?

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the idea of 2 coats of flat clear and thanks fpr the heads up tapping the trailer plug holes to allow access. If you tap can you install the plug after the bumper is installed?
Edit: Pics Added.
Also saw that I had used anti-seize on the SS hardware as a precaution.

Yes, just be sure the end of the tow harness is able to hang out of the hole a couple of inches (should be no problem with slack) The rest of the connecting can be with the bumper on. I'll post a few pics later so you can see what it looks like. It'll only take a second to pop off the connector.

Btw when you tighten down the bumper to the frame keep track of where the harness is behind the bumper so it doesn't get pinched or binds up someplace you don't want it to.

IMG_4775.jpg

IMG_4776.jpg

Last edited:

Kenbike

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Thanks for the photos, I need to get a harness on order before hanging the bumper.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Have any of you had sensor issues with the RH bumper?
I was going to get the LOD one, but hearing some of the problems has me revisiting my bumper choices.

captnjbk

First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon. 2017 Moto Guzzi V7.
Have any of you had sensor issues with the RH bumper?
I was going to get the LOD one, but hearing some of the problems has me revisiting my bumper choices.
I have not had any issues with the sensors in the RH bumper. So far I am loving it. Getting all that weight off the tailgate was choice.
The rear view camera mount could be better. There's a slight fish eye from the round hole and I can see the spare tire in the bottom of the screen. Doesn't effect the function in any way.
Sponsored