Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
What is your new Toe setting?
I have to admit, I was in a hurry to get home for a conference call and did not get any of my alignment numbers. I will say that it drives great at low speeds or short distances but still wanders a bit when you open it up on a longer drive. Definitely better all the way around . I am hoping the new TSB is the permanent fix we have all been looking for a while now.
Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Does this sound right? Please check my reasoning.

For a total toe of 0.21 degrees, with a 35” tire, the measured distance between the rear of the front tires and the front of the tires, would be:

tan 0.21 = X/35”. X = 0.126”

For accuracy, carefully draw lines on the tire treads as you spin the wheels. This requires something to brace the pen or pencil against.
Ok so you are now and before at .125" or 1/8" TOE IN?

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Ok so you are now and before at .125" or 1/8" TOE IN?
I just saw the 0.21 degree in the pic Carbonsteel posted. I have not measured mine yet.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
About ready to tackle this. From what I gather use standard not metric, I have a Milwaukee m18 impact will this be enough to break the bolts loose? Also should I try to get ramps, I have a 2 inch on 35s? Any other suggestions on techniques or tools that would help ?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
About ready to tackle this. From what I gather use standard not metric, I have a Milwaukee m18 impact will this be enough to break the bolts loose? Also should I try to get ramps, I have a 2 inch on 35s? Any other suggestions on techniques or tools that would help ?
If you haven't seen my install post here it is, and I would go w/ ramps, huge help w/ this install, and that 2ft breaker should suffice for breaking those nuts loose, I had to add my floorjack pipe to my breaker bar for 1 bolt though. Also spraying the bolts 24 hrs prior w/ a rust breaker, like PB Blast will help quite a bit. And yes, those SAE sizes are the best fit on those bad boys!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317

Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
If you haven't seen my install post here it is, and I would go w/ ramps, huge help w/ this install, and that 2ft breaker should suffice for breaking those nuts loose, I had to add my floorjack pipe to my breaker bar for 1 bolt though. Also spraying the bolts 24 hrs prior w/ a rust breaker, like PB Blast will help quite a bit. And yes, those SAE sizes are the best fit on those bad boys!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/#post-919317
Yes, going off your post. I’m gonna see if O’Reilys loans ramps.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Ok Job done, damn those bolts aren’t fun. The M18 impact with about an hr of Bolts soaked on PB blast did the job for the most part. Breaker bar did the rest and Ramps made it way easier to get leverage. We’ll see if it helps at all. I measured on the front side of the Diff, is that correct? I couldn’t get the bubble magnet to sit level on the rear. Looks like I’m at 90*
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap 48619614-7A61-47B9-ADC5-D81A859E6CBE

Last edited:

FlashGordon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR - Billet Silver, 2017 Grand Cherokee Altitude
Great write up and based on the suggestion of many this is a must do inexpensive mod for the Rubicon that frankly should have been done at the factory. @blnewt thanks for the advice on the TSB thread and I have started doing more research and will be doing this soon. Stock JLUR and getting the new steering gear box installed on Wed. I have seen a few members give estimates on the new caster readings but many of the people also have changed or modified their steering or suspension. Can anyone with a stock JLUR confirm your caster reading both before and after installing these Mopar lift LCA's?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Great write up and based on the suggestion of many this is a must do inexpensive mod for the Rubicon that frankly should have been done at the factory. @blnewt thanks for the advice on the TSB thread and I have started doing more research and will be doing this soon. Stock JLUR and getting the new steering gear box installed on Wed. I have seen a few members give estimates on the new caster readings but many of the people also have changed or modified their steering or suspension. Can anyone with a stock JLUR confirm your caster reading both before and after installing these Mopar lift LCA's?
Just going by memory the base caster readings on stock JLUR and JLRs are in the high 3 to mid 4 degree range, and the new LCAs add an additional 1.5 to 2 degrees caster.

Keep in mind there will be slight differences based on the option pkgs on the Rubicons but that range covers that. Expect to be at least mid 5 degrees after the LCA addition.

Now c'mon actual Rubi owners, please confirm for the man!

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Sponsored

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
I am also following the Steering Box TSB threads, and finally installed Mopar LCA on my stock 2020 JLUR today. Thanks to @blnewt and all others contributed tips, it went smooth, although I spent almost 3 hours. And sorry @FlashGordon that I didn’t measure anything before and after.

Removing the stock LCAs took lots of time due to the tight space under the Jeep. I had ramps to lift front, but 2ft breaker bar had not enough space to put force onto it, especially the rear side bolts. I used a floor jack to lift a breaker bar to start the bolts moving. I have a 2ft torque wrench and it was very helpful for both removing and installing new ones.

When I put the new LCA, the bolt hole was not aligned, so I jacked the frame as someone suggested. When I was removing the old LCA on the other side, bolt wouldn’t come out, lifting frame on that side didn’t help, so I lifted the other side (already installed longer LCA on the side) and that moved it to loosen the bolts. As for installing the new longer LCA, I had to switch the jack to the installing side again to align the hole.

Torquing bolts was the hardest part. Front bolts were easier, because they were reachable from front and lifted more. Rear ones were torqued using a floor jack again.

Quick drive with new longer LCA felt more solid and straight (city drive only), and it made somewhat clear that slight wandering my Jeep has is not fixable with aftermarket adjustable LCAs. I have plenty of time left with warranty, so I will wait a little more to see how the new Steel Steering Box works and how dealers handle claims.

After 3 hours of muscle workout, I am very happy with the result. If I have to do this again, I would invest some money into power tools, or rental of them. Thanks again everyone who contributed to this and other threads.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I am also following the Steering Box TSB threads, and finally installed Mopar LCA on my stock 2020 JLUR today. Thanks to @blnewt and all others contributed tips, it went smooth, although I spent almost 3 hours. And sorry @FlashGordon that I didn’t measure anything before and after.

Removing the stock LCAs took lots of time due to the tight space under the Jeep. I had ramps to lift front, but 2ft breaker bar had not enough space to put force onto it, especially the rear side bolts. I used a floor jack to lift a breaker bar to start the bolts moving. I have a 2ft torque wrench and it was very helpful for both removing and installing new ones.

When I put the new LCA, the bolt hole was not aligned, so I jacked the frame as someone suggested. When I was removing the old LCA on the other side, bolt wouldn’t come out, lifting frame on that side didn’t help, so I lifted the other side (already installed longer LCA on the side) and that moved it to loosen the bolts. As for installing the new longer LCA, I had to switch the jack to the installing side again to align the hole.

Torquing bolts was the hardest part. Front bolts were easier, because they were reachable from front and lifted more. Rear ones were torqued using a floor jack again.

Quick drive with new longer LCA felt more solid and straight (city drive only), and it made somewhat clear that slight wandering my Jeep has is not fixable with aftermarket adjustable LCAs. I have plenty of time left with warranty, so I will wait a little more to see how the new Steel Steering Box works and how dealers handle claims.

After 3 hours of muscle workout, I am very happy with the result. If I have to do this again, I would invest some money into power tools, or rental of them. Thanks again everyone who contributed to this and other threads.
Your experience sounds like mine although I didn't have as much issue aligning the bolt holes - got lucky there. Torqueing those was a pain and I also used a floor jack. An impact wrench helped with removing the bolts - although one still required a breaker bar to bust loose. Also some PB blaster put on the day before. But power tools don't help at all with re-torqueing the bolts - just good old fashioned leverage and muscle.
Looking back I wonder whether it's OK to re-use those bolts - or they're "stretch" bolts and shouldn't be re-used. Anyone know if it matters?

Reactions: G13

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Your experience sounds like mine although I didn't have as much issue aligning the bolt holes - got lucky there. Torqueing those was a pain and I also used a floor jack. An impact wrench helped with removing the bolts - although one still required a breaker bar to bust loose. Also some PB blaster put on the day before. But power tools don't help at all with re-torqueing the bolts - just good old fashioned leverage and muscle.
Looking back I wonder whether it's OK to re-use those bolts - or they're "stretch" bolts and shouldn't be re-used. Anyone know if it matters?
Perfectly fine to re-use

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
So interesting thing here, I have a 2020 2 door Rubicon.

My LCA part numbers are 68250242AB but I just measured my caster and seem to be at 6 degrees.

I'm having some vibration at 60-65mph and I'm thinking it's coming from the front-end so I was thinking maybe too little caster but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Same here... After reading this thread, I went to my 3 week old 2021 JLUR to check the caster and the LCA part number.

Measuring at one of the two big holes on the sides of the front differential on a level, zero degree surface, I got an exact 90 degree reading using the digital iPhone Measure app. From what I’ve read on this thread, this means I have a ~6 degree caster, correct?

Here’s the funny part, my front LCAs still have the old 68250242AB part number. Here’s a photo I just took where you can clearly see the last few digits:
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap EDE23970-8DDF-4291-BBE3-7C0712265080

I measured three times and always ensured my measurement was from a level, zero degree surface. Very curious situation indeed. I’d love to find out what’s going on with this and how my Rubicon can have 6 degree caster using the old lower control arms.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Same here... After reading this thread, I went to my 3 week old 2021 JLUR to check the caster and the LCA part number.

Measuring at one of the two big holes on the sides of the front differential on a level, zero degree surface, I got an exact 90 degree reading using the digital iPhone Measure app. From what I’ve read on this thread, this means I have a ~6 degree caster, correct?

Here’s the funny part, my front LCAs still have the old 68250242AB part number. Here’s a photo I just took where you can clearly see the last few digits:
EDE23970-8DDF-4291-BBE3-7C0712265080.jpeg

I measured three times and always ensured my measurement was from a level, zero degree surface. Very curious situation indeed. I’d love to find out what’s going on with this and how my Rubicon can have 6 degree caster using the old lower control arms.
It's possible they've changed something in the 2021s to get that caster up, maybe a slight difference in the LCA mounts perhaps???
They know low caster w/ Rubicons has been an issue and rather than giving them the proper LCA length maybe they've altered the mounts a bit to accommodate the old arms that apply to all JLs???

Otherwise maybe they might have to have a control arm recall for all pre 2021 Rubis???
Sponsored

Last edited: