D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
{snip}

AFTER pics:

IMG_0812.jpg

I will drive a bit more next few days for a little thorough analysis as I felt the loose steering mostly on highways and wandering on hotter days. Given that its not extremely hot anymore on the east coast I doubt I can really tell the difference with wandering till next year.
If I ran a service department and some "tech" put something together like that with bolts protruding a mile long, I'd at least write him up so there was a record of his extreme fucktardary....
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
If I ran a service department and some "tech" put something together like that with bolts protruding a mile long, I'd at least write him up so there was a record of his extreme fucktardary....
Not sure what's worse, I got the right steering box bolts but they weren't tightened, they also left my steering reservoir cap on the side of the motor :(
My I shaft bolt also wasn't tight and pretty sure it was reused :headbang::headbang::no::no::facepalm::facepalm:

Wait, I think that is worse, unless his bolts weren't tight either :(

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I got some bad play with my steering also, would this be covered under warranty? Even though I installed new track bars, LCA, and sway bars? I got a 19 jlu Sport. Also up in Canada. If not covered by warranty would it be something I could do on my own?
Should be covered no problem.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Got mine completed the day before and it definitely feels more responsive. Kudos to @JeepCares for stepping in and getting it done as the dealer wasnt even interested in looking at the jeep with a MetalCloak lift kit and 37" tires.

The dealer performed the following:
1600963417189.png

I was told the power steering pump was "dated" and hence replaced. I did find that my steering isnt completely centered after the work was completed for which I am taking the jeep back. First attempt to "center" the steering wheel from tilting to the left yielded to it now tilting to the right. Never a dull moment with Jeep dealers....:)

Here are BEFORE pics:

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

AFTER pics:

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

I will drive a bit more next few days for a little thorough analysis as I felt the loose steering mostly on highways and wandering on hotter days. Given that its not extremely hot anymore on the east coast I doubt I can really tell the difference with wandering till next year.
It appears they reused two of the bolts, the long ones?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It appears they reused two of the bolts, the long ones?
Think they reused them all as the old box has 2 bolts that are the same length as the 4 that the new box uses.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Think they reused them all as the old box has 2 bolts that are the same length as the 4 that the new box uses.
Yup, old was two long, two short - the short were black and the ones behind the spring.

New one is 4 short, all black.

I heard the bolts are on short supply or something, so perhaps they got the box and went to town....

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
Yup, old was two long, two short - the short were black and the ones behind the spring.

New one is 4 short, all black.

I heard the bolts are on short supply or something, so perhaps they got the box and went to town....
Dealership that did mine told me that the bolt kits only have a single bolt - not 4 as required. Might be BS. Dunno

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Dealership that did mine told me that the bolt kits only have a single bolt - not 4 as required. Might be BS. Dunno
There are two bolt kits in the TSB, one is a pack of 4 for the steering box (all the same size), and the other is a single bolt for the steering I-shaft.

Luckily these bolts are different head/thread size so no way to mix them up, lol.

BroncoNS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited
There are two bolt kits in the TSB, one is a pack of 4 for the steering box (all the same size), and the other is a single bolt for the steering I-shaft.

Luckily these bolts are different head/thread size so no way to mix them up, lol.
Right. It's hard to imagine that being true, and I don't actually believe them, but it's also hard to imagine how lazy/incompetent you would have to be to reuse old bolts when new ones are supplied.

Sponsored

MKwiatkowski28

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Took my 2018 JLU to the dealer on Friday. Was told they could not replicate the issue and that Jeep's are not highway vehicles. I kept calm and referenced the TSB, but was told again there is no issue. I stated there is obviously an issue if the company issued a TSB. Here is the best part...I offered to pay for the complete replacement myself and was declined. They said they would rather not perform the TSB even if I paid. Without having to go through this over and over again with dealer after dealer, do any of you have advice? Perhaps trying JeepCares? Thank you!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Took my 2018 JLU to the dealer on Friday. Was told they could not replicate the issue and that Jeep's are not highway vehicles. I kept calm and referenced the TSB, but was told again there is no issue. I stated there is obviously an issue if the company issued a TSB. Here is the best part...I offered to pay for the complete replacement myself and was declined. They said they would rather not perform the TSB even if I paid. Without having to go through this over and over again with dealer after dealer, do any of you have advice? Perhaps trying JeepCares? Thank you!
Find a new dealer...

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Right. It's hard to imagine that being true, and I don't actually believe them, but it's also hard to imagine how lazy/incompetent you would have to be to reuse old bolts when new ones are supplied.
Maybe they just wanted to move you on down the line and weren't able to get the 4 bolt sets. There have been a few members that stated the dealers were having to wait on them.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm no help but just had to say.....WOW

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
maybe their selling the bolt kits on the Jeep black market
Sponsored