Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'm curious. I've certainly questioned the extent to which Global Warming warnings are real and the problem man made. Like many of you I don't trust the media. It's more like I seek to verify them at times.

But with scientist after scientist, experts on climate, drawing the same conclusions, with nothing to gain by doing so, trained to let data rule their findings, not peer pressure,

...and with me asking, "if my parents risked their lives in WW II so I could enjoy a better way of life, is it really too hard for me to do my part for those who come after me, even if there's only a chance I can improve things, and accept these fuel transitions, conserve, etc."

I wonder.....

...have dissenters to Global warming ever questioned whether their disbelief in needing to do anything about fossil fuel consumption might be wrong? Have the ever considered that their narrative might be more that they wish than that which is best or true, because, well, change is hard, and large vehicles are what they want? I'm sure some have---but enough????

There is a fine line sometimes between freedom and selfishness when we do things that might badly affect others. And yes, there are limits to how much you should force people to chip in for the common good at the expense of individual freedom. Government telling you to stop eating burgers because everyone's health insurance costs will rise: that's too far for me. But the transition to cleaner fuels can not only provide new economic opportunity, but it quite literally might just save our race and that benefits us all.
Sponsored

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Well, that’s what ESS does.

I hated ESS during the test drive, but I’ve grown used to it.

Consider yourself lucky that your Jeep re-starts. A few JL owners haven’t been that lucky.

Hey, that's me. :like:

ESS failed on me in an intersection a few months ago when the main battery failed. I've been manually turning ESS off ever since, but it didn't save me from the auxiliary battery failing the other day and the Jeep refusing to start in the parking lot at work.

I had to use a jumper wire discussed in the ESS bypass thread to get going again.

ESS haters: I respect you. I don't love it, I just fail to hate it. I get that you're worried about engine wear and risk that the rig won't crank in critical moments. I get that you don't want the government telling you what to do and that you have to effect some hack or buy some tech to turn ESS off.
I do not hate ESS, it works perfectly fine in my wife's Escape. I do however despise the ESS in my JL as it has stranded me twice now in the last 4 months.

From what I've been reading the newer model JL's and JT's handle ESS a bit different than the 18MY. My hope is that this is true, and these two new batteries last long enough for me to trade out for a newer model in a color that I want (preferably Hydro Blue).

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
:jk::flag:God Bless America. The constitution protects everyone, no matter how hypocritical they are. Sorry, I have to go, Fox News is on.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey, that's me. :like:

ESS failed on me in an intersection a few months ago when the main battery failed. I've been manually turning ESS off ever since, but it didn't save me from the auxiliary battery failing the other day and the Jeep refusing to start in the parking lot at work.

I had to use a jumper wire discussed in the ESS bypass thread to get going again.

I do not hate ESS, it works perfectly fine in my wife's Escape. I do however despise the ESS in my JL as it has stranded me twice now in the last 4 months.

From what I've been reading the newer model JL's and JT's handle ESS a bit different than the 18MY. My hope is that this is true, and these two new batteries last long enough for me to trade out for a newer model in a color that I want (preferably Hydro Blue).
Awesome: a problem I can solve without much emotional attachment to politics or other controversy:

Chris: consider this flash. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-bad-aux-battery-no-start-firmware-fix.53608/

Talk is it will get your 2018 to act like later M.Y. 3.6L JLs and allow the main battery to solely cold crank the rig if the ESS battery is dead.

2018 3.6L's won't attempt a crank with inadequate Aux battery juice.

Ok @TEXGOAT, time for one of your over the top replies about how my aiding and abetting @Chris2183 to secure a more reliable gas guzzling JL shall "surely find both he and me in green hell, forced to eat the remains of recycled electric car batteries on the metaphorical dining table that is Al Gore's beard whiskers," or some other ridiculous similes and metaphors that make meaningful debate of the issues (I'm sure by design) about as plausible to have with you as with someone who is extremely high.

:LOL:

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
In the manual, it does not come on till your out of gear and off the clutch. I have not tried such at speed (should be a failsafe).

It really does not bug me how it's set up on the manual.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
:jk::flag:God Bless America. The constitution protects everyone, no matter how hypocritical they are. Sorry, I have to go, Fox News is on.
I don't think it hypocritical to buy a 3.6L JL if its functionality is needed for personal and professional use (as was my case, well, before COVID at least,) where alternatives would have been no less gasoline intensive, and simultaneously talk about the importance of our accepting conservation and propulsion fuel changes with time.

Remember this thread started with people not liking to have to press a button to turn something off. My parent's generation would look at such complainers sideways given the sacrifices they made.

It's not like "I'm going to fire up my Dodge Diesel pickup, pre-Emissions controlled, drive it around, and stomp on the Go-Pedal a few time, and see what comes out. "

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
It's not what you want sir. What you want is for ESS to be latching AND the EPA to not penalize auto makers like FCA with CAFE standard failures, FCA in turn passing on in part the cost of this penalty to you and other owners.

And you feel this your right because either you believe Global Warming caused by or at least possibly repairable by man a sham, or everything about it to be true, but plain out don't don't care that your so called pursuit of freedom at other people's expense is nothing more than garden variety selfish pursuit.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
But with scientist after scientist, experts on climate, drawing the same conclusions, with nothing to gain by doing so, trained to let data rule their findings, not peer pressure
Unfortunately this isn't accurate. Researchers at universities are pressured to get grants and publish to enhance the prestige of their university. Their jobs are at risk if they do not have tenure. What gets published is up to editors; what gets grants is up to politicians (not always but often).

[Side note: publicly-funded research should not be behind paywalls. Academic journals are -- sadly -- driven by profits and not science.]

With regards to global warming, for a very long while, if you wanted grants in natural sciences, it had to be tied to global warming, and if you wanted to get published, it had to show manmade doom and gloom. Research that showed neutral or positive outcomes (or suggested global warming isn't manmade) wasn't published. Now, because scientist after scientist across many fields all agree global warming is the greatest threat to humanity, research that goes against the narrative doesn't pass peer review even if it gets past the editors.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Unfortunately this isn't accurate. Researchers at universities are pressured to get grants and publish to enhance the prestige of their university. Their jobs are at risk if they do not have tenure. What gets published is up to editors; what gets grants is up to politicians (not always but often).

[Side note: publicly-funded research should not be behind paywalls. Academic journals are -- sadly -- driven by profits and not science.]

With regards to global warming, for a very long while, if you wanted grants in natural sciences, it had to be tied to global warming, and if you wanted to get published, it had to show manmade doom and gloom. Research that showed neutral or positive outcomes (or suggested global warming isn't manmade) wasn't published. Now, because scientist after scientist across many fields all agree global warming is the greatest threat to humanity, research that goes against the narrative doesn't pass peer review even if it gets past the editors.
What get's grants is often up to organizations with ideology and criteria across both sides of the aisle along with funding organizations whose sole object is to determine truth.

If anything this should make you, not me happy as don't think for a second that well funded CO2 based fuel companies and their lobbyists aren't spending ridiculous sums attempting to come up with science that casts doubt on global warming--which is their right.

Research that showed neutral or positive outcomes (or suggested global warming isn't manmade) wasn't published.
I've heard this before. The research on research came up with studies that disproved or poke holes manmade Global warming or ability for man to mitigate, but never put forth such findings, or if they did they never gained much traction.

Journals may be in the business of selling content---fair. But that journal's reputation would suffer irreparable harm if they put forth research that didn't follow rigorous protocol.

Finally, you're not saying global warming possible repair by man is a hoax; your saying that people have concluded other things. Could researchers that support global warming be wrong: okay.

What if those who dissent are wrong and we do nothing.

I don't want to move to cleaner energy sources, I feel we have to.

Do you want to stay with the status quo, or are you disinterested; and if the former, is it possible that you have bias too?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.