First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you all, for some really good input on both the Sahara and the Willys.

I slept over it last night and went the Sahara route. It was an incredibly hard decision but one i hope is worth it. I think it was because of how much this trim was transformed with just a tire upgrade.

I know I am missing out on the rock rails and the OG look of the Willys, but oh well!
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Man, I love white lettered tires on Jeeps. Should be standard, or at the least let us have it as an option. Awesome!
Thanks man. Thankfully, we still have the choice to do white letters on aftermarket tires.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you all, for some really good input on both the Sahara and the Willys.

I slept over it last night and went the Sahara route. It was an incredibly hard decision but one i hope is worth it. I think it was because of how much this trim was transformed with just a tire upgrade.

I know I am missing out on the rock rails and the OG look of the Willys, but oh well!
Congratulations!

You are going to love it. The Selec-Trac alone is going to marvel you whenever you drive it in the snow.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
All that matters is that your happy with your decision. No one else counts.

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Hello JL community,

I'm about to place an order for a '21 JL. Can you all please help me compare the two trims?

The build& price only helps so much and I have tried to go through the order guide the best I can, but have the following questions.

TRIMS: '21 WILLYS 4DR vs. SAHARA UNLIMITED

1. Engine: Set on the 2.0L Turbo
  2. T-case: Selec-Trac available on both or just the Sahara?
    If yes, does it make the Willys slightly more offroad worthy than the Sahara? With its Rubicon shocks, rock rails.......

3. Anti-spin rear diff: Available on both trims?

4. Cold weather package and tires: I will definitely get this package on either trim. I believe the Sahara gets the Dueler AT tires with this trim. Does the Willys get a different tire or is the Firestone Destination MT standard for this trim?
    I have read mixed reviews of the Firestone, being an MT tire.

Going past the life of the stock tires, can i fit a 275 BFG KO2 on either trim?

5. Shocks and suspension: Willys shares this with the Rubicon . How do they compare to the Sahara's?

6. Hard top headliner: Worth the money? Does it really help dampen the road noise that much?

7. Hinge gate reinforcement: Mopar option or are there better options aftermarket?

8. Value retention over 3-5 years: Willys > Sahara, since it is a limited availability trim?

Looking forward to your responses. Can't wait to place an order!!!!!
I think it depends on what you want to do with your Jeep. The Willys will better off-road and the Sahara more plush. With options you can make them closer but I don’t think you can get any of the off road upgrades with the Sahara (not sure with the limited slip rear diff but I don’t so) that are on the Willys.

Mecca

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Welcome to the forum!

See my responses below.

Hello JL community,

I'm about to place an order for a '21 JL. Can you all please help me compare the two trims?

The build& price only helps so much and I have tried to go through the order guide the best I can, but have the following questions.

TRIMS: '21 WILLYS 4DR vs. SAHARA UNLIMITED

1. Engine: Set on the 2.0L Turbo
  2. T-case: Selec-Trac available on both or just the Sahara? —I believe Selec-Trac was extended to the entire Wrangler lineup in 2021
    If yes, does it make the Willys slightly more offroad worthy than the Sahara? With its Rubicon shocks, rock rails....... —No. Selec-Trac’s auto feature is for on-road use. So it makes no difference off-road. It will make a difference if you drive in snow, though.

3. Anti-spin rear diff: Available on both trims? —comes standard when you order Selec-Trac.

4. Cold weather package and tires: I will definitely get this package on either trim. I believe the Sahara gets the Dueler AT tires with this trim. Does the Willys get a different tire or is the Firestone Destination MT standard for this trim?
    I have read mixed reviews of the Firestone, being an MT tire. —yes, Firestone is an MT. The Bridgestone Dueler is an excellent all-around, capable, comfortable AT tire, however. It tends to get underrated because it doesn’t look all that aggressive. If it is consolation, the Duelers you get with the Cold Weather Group have a much more aggressive tread than the Duelers you used to get on JK Sahara.

Going past the life of the stock tires, can i fit a 275 BFG KO2 on either trim? —yes, that’s what I have. See below.

5. Shocks and suspension: Willys shares this with the Rubicon . How do they compare to the Sahara's? —Sahara’s shock and tire combo maximizes daily-driving comfort

6. Hard top headliner: Worth the money? Does it really help dampen the road noise that much? —they reduce unwanted din from bouncing off the hard fiberglass surface more than anything else. It also adds a layer of weather insulation. I think they are worth it, but it is easy to add afterwards. I believe Sahara also adds sound deadening material throughout the vehicle, under the hood, etc.

7. Hinge gate reinforcement: Mopar option or are there better options aftermarket? —you won’t need it for 33” tires

8. Value retention over 3-5 years: Willys > Sahara, since it is a limited availability trim? —all Wranglers hold their value well. Some believe Rubicons hold their value better but I haven’t seen any evidence of it once you account for the fact that you had to pay more upfront. I have owned several Rubicons and Saharas over the years and they both held their value equally well and were easy to resell. In fact, I took the biggest hit on a JKUR Rubicon Recon; it was the most expensive Wrangler I ever bought, too. Jeep’s so-called “special editions” are really just “value packages” with fancy names. There’s no limited availability; you can get the same stuff on pretty much any special edition on a Sport, Sahara or Rubicon as a stand alone option.

Looking forward to your responses. Can't wait to place an order!!!!!
I too looked at both, and when all done and said I am glad I went with the Willys, I will attach some Under Carriage pics as well. Looking back, I got so much more for my money paying less for the Willys.

Regards,

Damian.

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2592-2.jpg

IMG_2690-2.jpg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I too looked at both, and when all done and said I am glad I went with the Willys, I will attach some Under Carriage pics as well. Looking back, I got so much more for my money paying less for the Willys.

Regards,

Damian.

Jeep Wrangler JL 4 dr Willys vs. Sahara : Comparison assistance IMG_2690-2

Value is a relative term. That’s why there are many different flavors of Wranglers.