Sponsored

Drivers side seat won’t fold back

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
I agree. This is nuts. Fortunately with your seat I believe you may be able to kick it into action by sticking something ~3 inches long into the rail where that piece was. With mine the piece is still intact yet the same malfunction is occurring. I'm pissed.
Fortunately, I was in the woods and not some desert. No shortage of small twigs that fit in the rail. Should've known to have two socket extensions in the glove box for this inevitability.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Fortunately, I was in the woods and not some desert. No shortage of small twigs that fit in the rail. Should've known to have two socket extensions in the glove box for this inevitability.
I've got some pry tools coming in the mail today and I'm going to tear the rest of the seat apart in hopes I can at least straighten it out for the weekend. Mine absolutely will not recline under any circumstance so far.

MidTNJeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Add me to the club, 2019 JL 2 dr sport. 10,500 miles. Drivers seat was locked in the forward position this afternoon. Looked under the rail and saw this metal piece sticking out the bottom. Was able to remove it and the seat was free to move back and recline once again. Once I got home I went to try the passenger side, it too was locked forward. At least Jeep is consistent on the timing of their cheap parts failing. (My wife had been complaining it was difficult to move the seat back for some time, I of course ignored her, turns out she was right.) I wasn't able to see the metal piece on the passenger side like I did on the drivers side. Turns out it was still intact, but jammed further up in the seat rail, I had to release the metal clip one hole at a time till I inched it back to the rear of the seat rail. I was able to remove the entire piece intact from the rail, which include the plastic piece, the metal piece, a spring and a plastic pin. Not sure if its not greased well enough or why it keeps jamming up, but I ended up just pulling the plastic pin, removing the spring and metal piece and replacing the black plastic piece into the seat rail. As someone mentioned earlier, Pros: the seat slides freely back and forth, doesn't seemed to get bound up anymore when moving seat forward to access the rear seats. Cons: when reclining the seat, I have to slide the seat all the way towards the rear to recline the seatback, causing whoever sits in this seat to manually slide it forward again once seated.
Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back image0
Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back image1

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Add me to the club, 2019 JL 2 dr sport. 10,500 miles. Drivers seat was locked in the forward position this afternoon. Looked under the rail and saw this metal piece sticking out the bottom. Was able to remove it and the seat was free to move back and recline once again. Once I got home I went to try the passenger side, it too was locked forward. At least Jeep is consistent on the timing of their cheap parts failing. (My wife had been complaining it was difficult to move the seat back for some time, I of course ignored her, turns out she was right.) I wasn't able to see the metal piece on the passenger side like I did on the drivers side. Turns out it was still intact, but jammed further up in the seat rail, I had to release the metal clip one hole at a time till I inched it back to the rear of the seat rail. I was able to remove the entire piece intact from the rail, which include the plastic piece, the metal piece, a spring and a plastic pin. Not sure if its not greased well enough or why it keeps jamming up, but I ended up just pulling the plastic pin, removing the spring and metal piece and replacing the black plastic piece into the seat rail. As someone mentioned earlier, Pros: the seat slides freely back and forth, doesn't seemed to get bound up anymore when moving seat forward to access the rear seats. Cons: when reclining the seat, I have to slide the seat all the way towards the rear to recline the seatback, causing whoever sits in this seat to manually slide it forward again once seated.
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
I think you can order the revised clips as they're like $14 to have on deck if you want to return it to normal operation without scheduling a dealer visit. I'm not quite sure what they revised but the TSB for those clips states a new part was made.

As for mine, it turned out the clip thing wasn't even the issue. Issue on my sheet was "seat rail components binding up internally". They ended up having to order a new seat track system and all the cabling. Had to gut the seat at the dealer's upholstry shop vendor and re-skin it with the new components inside. I am now officially afraid to ever pull the rear access lever on my driver's side, lol.

Sponsored

MidTNJeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I think you can order the revised clips as they're like $14 to have on deck if you want to return it to normal operation without scheduling a dealer visit. I'm not quite sure what they revised but the TSB for those clips states a new part was made.

As for mine, it turned out the clip thing wasn't even the issue. Issue on my sheet was "seat rail components binding up internally". They ended up having to order a new seat track system and all the cabling. Had to gut the seat at the dealer's upholstry shop vendor and re-skin it with the new components inside. I am now officially afraid to ever pull the rear access lever on my driver's side, lol.
Thanks for the heads up about a new part being made, I might just order those myself and install myself if needed rather than dealing with the dealership. I will already be having them replace my driver's side visor that snapped off with less than 1,000 miles, so I might as well mention this too, see what they say.

Sorry to hear your issue was more serious. I might just force my daughter to climb in and out over the center console from now on.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone have the revised part number handy, as well as the TSB that mentions it? Getting mine repaired next week and want to make sure they ordered the newer part.

MidTNJeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Was at the dealer today getting the Jeep wave oil change, tire rotation and my drivers side visor replaced. No issues there. I show them the metal pieces from the seat, guy says he’s never seen that before but they will look at it. I show him the TSB and leave for work. Picked it up this evening, they tell me that my VIN is not part of the TSB and that they will have to order all new seat rails. All covered under warranty, but still baffling that they don’t know about the new clips or whatever you want to call them. Anyone know if the seat rails have been improved somehow as well? Would you have them replace the rails under warranty for this fix? Or should I just order those new clips and install myself and see if that fixes it?

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Add me to the club again!. Passenger seat completely stuck. again. This would be the third time I experience this in my 2019, fourth time since It happened to my 2018 as well. Guys at cerritos must have not actually fixed it right. the little plastic piece was in there, it was just stuck/not visible the entire time lol.
@JeepCares I honestly dont know what to do at this point. You guys owe me at least a six pack. It must not have been fixed correctly the second time. If my seats dont work I cant drive my Jeep anywhere. And if no dealer can fix it then I am not sure what to do. This is so frustrating.

I like craft beer btw, the fancy stuff. I am serious though, if this keeps happening I am gonna have to start looking into other options.

Last edited:

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this is a serious enough issue for a class action or the Lemon Law.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @entropy,

We're sorry to learn that you've experienced this multiple times. Please send our team a private message so that we can have a case escalated on your behalf while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hi @entropy,

We're sorry to learn that you've experienced this multiple times. Please send our team a private message so that we can have a case escalated on your behalf while in service.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
PM sent. really hoping this is the last time.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Was at the dealer today getting the Jeep wave oil change, tire rotation and my drivers side visor replaced. No issues there. I show them the metal pieces from the seat, guy says he’s never seen that before but they will look at it. I show him the TSB and leave for work. Picked it up this evening, they tell me that my VIN is not part of the TSB and that they will have to order all new seat rails. All covered under warranty, but still baffling that they don’t know about the new clips or whatever you want to call them. Anyone know if the seat rails have been improved somehow as well? Would you have them replace the rails under warranty for this fix? Or should I just order those new clips and install myself and see if that fixes it?
my recommendation. Order the new clips and fix it yourself, and keep extra ones in case it happens again. Thats what I should have done, now I am living a hell with this thing. They replaced the entire frame and rails on mine and they dont work like they did before and passenger broke again. fix it yourself or take it to a dealer that has experience with the issue.
Sponsored