Suspension help

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I had a Teraflex ST2 ( 2.5" ) with falcon shocks installed yesterday. While driving I could feel the passenger side was lower than the driver side. Got home and measured top of the tire to bottom of fenders. The driver side rear was 1.5" higher than the left and the Freon was 1" higher. Just talked to the installer, he said the only thing it could be was if they are settling or one spring was weaker than the other.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Teraflex ST2 ( 2.5" ) with falcon shocks installed yesterday. While driving I could feel the passenger side was lower than the driver side. Got home and measured top of the tire to bottom of fenders. The driver side rear was 1.5" higher than the left and the Freon was 1" higher. Just talked to the installer, he said the only thing it could be was if they are settling or one spring was weaker than the other.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
I think those teraflex rear springs are corner specific. Meaning the longer spring on rear is supposed to go on the passenger side to compensate for fuel tank weight. I’m not sure if the front passenger spring is longer or not.

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I think those teraflex rear springs are corner specific. Meaning the longer spring on rear is supposed to go on the passenger side to compensate for fuel tank weight. I’m not sure if the front passenger spring is longer or not.
Yeah I just read that on the installation guide. the rear are different but not the fronts. I just checked and they are on the correct sides. This sucks lol.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I just read that on the installation guide. the rear are different but not the fronts. I just checked and they are on the correct sides. This sucks lol.
If you’re determining that they are incorrect by reading part number I would still take them out and look at them, easy enough to stamp the wrong number on something. I don’t read part numbers on springs, or trust the tag if there is one, when installing lifts, always lay them down and see if one is longer.

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
If you’re determining that they are incorrect by reading part number I would still take them out and look at them, easy enough to stamp the wrong number on something. I don’t read part numbers on springs, or trust the tag if there is one, when installing lifts, always lay them down and see if one is longer.
Thanks. Would there be a noticeable difference in length? Is there any way to measure without taking them off?

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Would there be a noticeable difference in length? Is there any way to measure without taking them off?
It’s usually a noticeable difference. I’m not sure how much of a difference teraflex does, but it’s probably at least a half inch maybe more. You can drop the rear axle enough so the spring is loose to make sure it’s not compressed and measure them that way, but safer to take them out and lay them side by side.

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
It’s usually a noticeable difference. I’m not sure how much of a difference teraflex does, but it’s probably at least a half inch maybe more. You can drop the rear axle enough so the spring is loose to make sure it’s not compressed and measure them that way, but safer to take them out and lay them side by side.
Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Also check to make sure your sway bar links are the same length if they’re adjustable, another member had that happen and made his rig lean.

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Also check to make sure your sway bar links are the same length if they’re adjustable, another member had that happen and made his rig lean.
I don't think they are adjustable but Ill take a look. Thanks.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Couple of things you can try and take a look at. The first would be to make sure both the control arms and sway bar end links, basically anything that's adjustable and is part of a pair, are set to the same exact length. You want to make sure everything is as close to each other in measurment as possible so that nothing is causing your suspension to bind up or sit awkwardly.

The second thing you could check is to make sure you aren't having any issues with faulty shocks. Basically all you have to do is unbolt each shock, watch to see if they droop down gradually and smoothly which is what you want, or if they seem to be stopping and going and having a hard time drooping down on their own, which is not what you want. Then you can test the up-travel for the same exact issue by gently pushing the shock up and seeing how smoothly it slides back up.

Hopefully this helps and good luck!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Couple of things you can try and take a look at. The first would be to make sure both the control arms and sway bar end links, basically anything that's adjustable and is part of a pair, are set to the same exact length. You want to make sure everything is as close to each other in measurment as possible so that nothing is causing your suspension to bind up or sit awkwardly.

The second thing you could check is to make sure you aren't having any issues with faulty shocks. Basically all you have to do is unbolt each shock, watch to see if they droop down gradually and smoothly which is what you want, or if they seem to be stopping and going and having a hard time drooping down on their own, which is not what you want. Then you can test the up-travel for the same exact issue by gently pushing the shock up and seeing how smoothly it slides back up.

Thanks for the info!

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS

Also, I read that you need to torque many of the parts after it is on the ground. If they torqued while in the air, I assume that could affect things?

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Also, I read that you need to torque many of the parts after it is on the ground. If they torqued while in the air, I assume that could affect things?
Right you want to have everything installed loose, then have the vehicle sitting on its own weight before adjusting angles and tightening/torquing everything down to prevent the suspension from binding up. If you adjust angles and tighten everything up while the vehicle is lifted, you're gonna have a bad time!

OP
OP

Laz

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Right you want to have everything installed loose, then have the vehicle sitting on its own weight before adjusting angles and tightening/torquing everything down to prevent the suspension from binding up. If you adjust angles and tighten everything up while the vehicle is lifted, you're gonna have a bad time!
I think I should probably try that first. Thanks

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
Might be worth checking that the rubber isolators are all in place. Very easy for an uppers to drop out whilst mauling with the springs.
Also if it’s a Rubicon put it in low 4, disconnect the sway bar via the normal switch, make sure it confirms on the display that it’s disconnected, then reconnect again on level ground.
Good luck!
Sponsored